The Other Oscar Party: How to Throw a Winner
Trying to Find a Unique Oscar Party Idea
Thinking about the Academy Awards and the Oscar party I might have around watching the awards show, I couldn’t come up with one original idea that you couldn’t just google. I mean, gold Oscar statue cookies, red carpet leading to front door, goodie bags of crap, reproduce Wolfgang’s menu—whatev. But also bore, snore, chore . . .
Watching the Oscars: Who Wore What—and Who Makes Too Much
So, here’s my take on the only Oscar party worth throwing this year. It’s the Academy Awards, THE Oscars. Yes, it’s “the biggie,” but honestly, after a month of nominations and awards to superstars, actors, singers, wannabes we watch and obsess about, I’m sort of over it. We like to separate the gorg from the overstyled, underdressed, overexposed, and those who are just tremendously overpaid. Let’s call me OSCAR (the) GROUCH this year.
Go Sweet or Go Home: Dessert-Themed Oscar Party
Let’s flip this party on its head and honor each of our inner grouches for this Oscar party. Since I only ever really watch the Academy Awards preshow and just try to watch the awards, I’m always with my girlfriends, and we start drinking Champagne when the way-early stars show up. Being true to my “eat dessert first” self, I’m going to do an all-dessert-inspired party. If my guests can’t find sustenance in booze and sugar, hey, go to someone else’s house.
Oscar Party Food? Desserts to Match the Best Picture Nominees
• Black Swan: Easy! Black-and-white cookies.
• The Fighter: Boston cream pie.
• Inception: Chocolate dream dessert, or cookies and milk?
• The Kids Are All Right: Gotta go with cupcakes.
• The King’s Speech: Sticky toffee pudding or shortbread cookies.
• 127 Hours: Lord, this one’s hard . . . Gorp? . . . Cliff Bars?
• The Social Network: Nerds candy, or Smart Food or Pirate’s Booty snacks (while that’s not dessert, we need something salty in the mix).
• Toy Story 3: Pez, or gummy candy in cute shapes.
• True Grit: Smores.
• Winter’s Bone: Middle America—Twinkies? Ring Dings?
Award Your Inner Oscar the Grouch
And for extra-snarky topping on your Oscar party, have discussions and award prizes for: worst outfit (or the OH MY GOD WHAT ARE THEY WEARING PRIZE), bad hair, too much makeup, bad panty lines, ugliest date, and rudest losing nominee. Who gets the award for the fakest “oh, I’m so happy for you that you beat me” smile or hug?
Make a grid with each category of horridness and vote each section, then announce who the Green Oscar goes to (and yes, we all have a bit of envy over the most beautiful women, so green is fitting).
As I always say, if you want a different answer, ask a different girl.