Rock-and-Roll Fashion Show
By Emma Watkinson
If you’re not a floral/pastel kind of girl, we’ve got an edgier trend for you—rock and roll fashion. Wild for Woodstock or crazy for Coachella, think Rihanna, Sienna Miller, Kate Moss, La Roux, or Lady Gaga rocking the attitude. Here, our guide to channeling punk, avant-garde, and Victoriana to give your wardrobe some rock and roll style.
Philipp Plein: The Art and Fashion of Heavy Metal
Exploding onto the fashion scene on Vogue covers and with ad campaigns featuring Naomi Campbell, German designer Philipp Plein’s look oozes rock glamour. He boasts a cult following among celebs, including Mischa Barton and our beloved Barbie, the original blonde bombshell, who got a Philipp Plein makeover for her 50th anniversary.
1.We are obsessed with this long-line leather jacket. Its over-the-top zipper-and-buckle embellishments will instantly sex up your favorite jeans. A designer straight jacket, it’s not for the faint-hearted.
Prince Peter: Rock and Roll Fashion Royalty
New York-based fashion designer Prince Peter had everyone at his fall 2010 rock and roll fashion show falling over themselves to get their hands on his collection. Rihanna and Gossip Girl‘s Taylor Momsen are fans, and his recent collaboration with legendary rock photographer Mick Rock cements this underground designer’s move to the big league.
2.“The fashion line this season is punk t-shirts, jackets, and the obvious accoutrements, and that’s good to have in a tough economy, wearable yet interesting and truly unique clothing.”—Prince Peter
AllSaints: Fashion from the Stairway to Heaven
The Victorian-grunge/vintage-inspired British label AllSaints has finally emigrated stateside. Settling in the Big Apple, the Spitalfields original is British rocker fashion at its best. Our favorites:
3. This black and white vintage-style tee brings the perfect amount of street chic to your wardrobe when paired with denim skinnies and studded flats.
4. This beautifully embellished, semi-sheer silk chiffon Sechin Racer Dress is a great summer piece. Cleverly placed inner-herringbone ties allow you to create your desired draping effect.
5. These earrings are oxidized Indian coin charms. Pair them with a print maxi dress and leather jacket for effortless rock-and-roll chic.
6. High-fronted burnished suede sandals evoke vintage glamour and a nod to this season’s military trend. The heavily stitched heel provides eye-catching detail.
Zac Posen: Rocking Target
Zac Posen’s recent collaboration with Target is this season’s fashion success story. Launched in New York with a wild 24-hour shopping event, Posen partied into the wee hours with Olivia Palermo, Claire Danes, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Selma Blair.
7. This gold halter dress is perfect for a night on the town now through fall.