Avis Richards’ dedication to philanthropy is paramount. The Founder of Birds Nest Foundation, a non-profit organization that produces documentaries, short videos and PSA’s for a multitude of well deserving and under-represented charities, Avis Richards brings passion, zeal and energy to every project she takes on–raising much needed attention to lesser known charities and promoting awareness for their meaningful causes. This New York based mother of two has teamed up with New Yorkers and A-list celebrities to produce films for the charities of Goldie Hawn, Michael Bolton, Andre Agassi, John Legend and many others. I met Avis last summer and was so impressed by all of her talents and love of giving. The award-winning producer shares some of her interesting history, opinions and lifestyle secrets.
MM: What inspired you to start the Birds Nest Foundation?
AR: Seven years ago, I noticed a lack of quality media content for non-profits. Many of these non-profits spent large sums of money on production companies to get their word out. That’s money that could be going to a good cause, so I stepped in. It’s really all about giving back through media and giving non-profits a voice.
MM: I love the foundation’s appellation. Is there a special meaning behind it?
AR: Well, “Avis” means “bird” in Latin, so that was part of the name. But also, Birds Nest is always “hatching” new creative ideas, both beautiful and impactful once they leave the nest.
MM: As a crusader for Healthy Movement, a primary focus is improving and educating Americans about proper nutritional habits, especially for our youth; why is childhood nutrition so important to you?
AR: 12.5 million children are obese. Diabetes has increased nine-fold in the past 25 years. As a parent with two wonderful children, nutrition is especially important. I’ve gone to schools; I’ve seen what children eat. We need nutrition education for kids and adults, as this problem is a national concern.
I am so busy running around the city and getting ready for fashion week. I can’t believe it’s almost here! I’m already planning my outfits, organizing my crazy show schedule and trying to fit in some time for parties and socializing! I enjoy the frenzied fun so much and would not have it any other way. I’m particularly looking forward to attending the Kohl’s Rock & Republic Fashion show. Did you know Rock & Republic is launching a line for Kohl’s this spring? I can’t wait to check out the chic styles and report back to you! Plus, I am sure there will be some great celeb sightings too–you know how much I Iove to share all of their best fashion, beauty tips, and tricks with you.
Stay tuned! xx Melissa
Update! Kohl’s Rock & Republic Fashion Line is officially available to purchase !
“Kohl’s provided compensation to me as an incentive to blog about the Rock & Republic launch event. The opinions expressed herein are those of this author, and they have not been reviewed or approved by Kohl’s in advance.”
Want to know if you could rock Beyonce’s chic braid? Head to DailyMakeover.com!
Think braids are only for laundry day and the gym? Think again! Intricate twists and plaits are totally trendy, and there’s a braided hairstyle to suit every occasion. Here, Beyonce pairs a sexy side part and long, wavy bangs with a simple braid to complement her sequined outfit.
Photo by Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.
Socialite Tinsley Mortimer dresses up her long, blonde hair with a headband braid and long bangs. She plays up her girlie style with frosty eyeshadow and a pink lip.
Photo: Jason Kempin/Getty Images
Melissa Joan Hart
Melissa Joan Hart rocks a bewitching (see what we did there?) take on the classic side-parted low ponytail. A thin braid along the actress’ hairline adds a unique accent and shows off her blonde highlights.
Photo: Erik Jordan/Retna Ltd.
Looks like Lucy Hale is getting style advice from her character on Pretty Little Liars. The cheery brunette goes emo with a fall-weather ready crocheted snood and some Kool Aid-red streaks. A loose side braid completes Hale’s tousled hairstyle.
Photo: Charley Gallay/WireImage
Garcelle Beauvais knows how to transform a plait into a sexy premiere hairstyle. The actress paired her loose side braid with gold earrings, a trendy fur vest and turquoise beads on the red carpet.
Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images
Nicky Hilton sports a Swedish milkmaid-inspired braid with a center-parted updo hairstyle. Her updo shows off the socialite’s glittering one-shouldered dress.
Photo: Michael Bezjian/WireImage
Need a cute hairstyle that keeps your locks out of your eyes and transitions easily from day to night? Look no further than Katharine McPhee’s hairline braid and rolling waves. This ‘do works on every hair length from bob to long!
Photo: Michael Bezjian/WireImage
Nina Dobrev manages to completely transform (and lower!) her hairline with a braid that swoops around from the crown of her head to her ear. It’s a totally unique spin on a classic braided updo.
Photo: Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic
Jessica Szohr is all smiles in a laid-back side fishtail braid and loose, choppy bangs.
Photo: Paul Zimmerman/WireImage
Eve blows your mind (YouTube it asap) with a super-stylized long braid topped with retro volume and finger curls
Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images
|DailyMakeover.com from Makeover Solutions, Inc., is the web’s leading beauty information site, providing virtual makeover technology and content for women to create personalized makeovers. DailyMakeover.com’s virtual Makeover Studio enables users to see themselves wearing numerous hairstyles, makeup shades and fashion accessories to create their best makeovers, which can be saved, printed, or emailed. DailyMakeover.com is headquartered in New York City.|
It’s back-and better than ever. In it’s 3rd-year, Fashion’s Night Out, where thousands of retailers across the country stay open late for the ultimate shopping party of food, drinks-and of course to celebrate fashion. This all-out extravaganza will hit New York City on Thursday, September 8th, a prelude to New York Fashion Week (September 9th, 10th & 12th).
With debuts from J Brand and Chanel, to celebrity appearances from Heidi Klum, Rachel Zoe, Joss Stone, Ne-Yo, The Real Housewives of New York; and to top-it-off, Vera Wang in an ice cream truck, this is one star-studded event you won’t want to miss.
Here are the events you’ll want to check out in New York, LA, Miami, Dallas, and Chicago:
Topshop, 478 Broadway between Broadway and Broome
- Teamed up with Vogue Magazine, top models Chanel Iman, Coco Rocha, Karlie Kloss, Abbey Lee, and Charlotte Free will be giving out styling tips for the upcoming season; they will also select their favorite items from Topshop’s AW11 collection, debuting on FNO
- Customers who purchase one of the “favorite items” get the chance to be photographed with their favorite model; pictures will be posted on Tophop’s Facebook page
- Shoppers who spend over $100 will receive a notebook with a print from the AW11 collection on the cover; choose from one of four covers
Bergdorf Goodman, 754 5th Avenue at 58th Street
- Appearance by Michael Kors; Performance by Audrianna Cole
- Oscar de la Renta will be signing his limited edition “Face of Fashion” Fall kaleidoscope palette by Le Métier de Beauté
- Badgley Mischka, Joseph Altuzarra, Lela Rose, and Reem Acra will walk the runway with their furry friends in the Designer Dog Show
Diane von Furstenberg, 874 Washington Street at 14th Street
- Performance by Grammy Winner Estelle; performance features songs off her new album, All of Me
- Sample DVF’s new fragrance, Diane, before it hits stores in October. Enter to win an autographed bottle from Diane herself
Tory Burch, 797 Madison Avenue between 67th & 68th Streets
- Spend $250 or more and get styled by Vogue Editor Jessica Sailer and photographed by Fashion photographer Beau Grealy; chance to be featured on the Tory Blog
- Limited edition tote will be given to everyone who makes a $100 purchase
DKNY, 655 Madison Avenue between 60th & 61st Streets; 420 West Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Shoppers who spend $250 or more will receive a limited edition tote with a DVD of documentary “Bill Cunningham New York”
- Complimentary popcorn and beer provided by Brooklyn Lager
- Complimentary Blind Barber haircuts
Michael Kors, 610 Fifth Avenue at Rockefeller Center
- Appearances by the Rockettes
- Champagne and live music by a guest DJ
- Chance to win denim totes signed by Michael himself
Sephora, 597 5th Avenue between 48th & 49th Streets
- Get all your beauty questions answered by a panel of experts: Vogue Beauty Director Sarah Brown, celebrity hairstylist Oscar Blandi, Founder and Creative Director of Urban Decay Cosmetics Wende Zomnir, and skincare guru Kate Somerville
Sephora Soho, 555 Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Be one of the first 50 customers here and receive a free makeover and a “Stila-Girl” inspired sketch of yourself
Sephora Columbus Circle, 10 Columbus Circle between West 58th & 60th Streets
- Celebrity skin experts Sophie Evans and Fiona Locke of St. Tropez share all their beauty secrets
- Complimentary spray tanning
- Product giveaways- all customers will receive a free gift with a St. Tropez purchase; change to a prize valued at $200
Lord & Taylor, 424 5th Avenue between East 38th and 39th
- Wear This, Not That author Suze Yalof Schwartz answers all your style questions. Enter to win a $1,000 shopping spree
- Singer/Songwriter Solange Knowles will be DJing. Meet her and receive a photo
- Meet Ivanka Trump and receive a photo
Macy’s Herald Square, 151 West 34th Street at 6th Avenue
- Gucci Guilty Dance Party with Samantha Ronson
- Appearances by Tommy Hilfiger, Coco Rocha, America’s Next Top Model Judge J. Alexander, Bobbi Brown, Anna Dello Russo, Karolina Kurkova, and Rachel Roy
- Live musical performance by Joss Stone
Saks Fifth Avenue, 611 5th Avenue at 49th Street
- The Chronicles of Narnia, Tilda Swinton will be making an appearance with Pringle of Scotland designer Alistair Carr and Central Saint Martins’ Louise Wilson
- Hat signing and performance by Ne-Yo
- Win a $10,00 Fall Shopping Spree from StyleList, visit: stylelist.com/saks/
Victoria’s Secret, 591 Broadway between Houston and Prince Streets
- Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Erin Heatherton, and Lily Aldridge will be offering customer makeovers, photo opportunities and a fragrance preview
L’Occitane, 48 9th Avenue at 14th Street; 146 Spring Street between Wooster St & Broadway
- Complimentary chilled rosé
- Complimentary hand massages
- Riviera-inspired tote bag filled with the brands most essential beauty goodies
QVC, 428 Broadway between Howard & Canal Streets
- Meet QVC Designers as they discuss fashion, beauty and trends
- Try on the latest fashion and accessories in the Rowenta fashion closet
- Heidi Klum is unveiling her new jewelry line for QVC, WILDLIFE by Heidi Klum
Bloomingdale’s, Soho, 504 Broadway between Spring and Broome
- Appearance by Rachel Zoe; her recent clothing line The Rachel Zoe Collection is available for purchase
- Appearance by Erin Wasson and her capsule collection for Zadig & Voltaire
- A truth or lie game told to shoppers; hosted by Bono’s Wife, Ali Hewson
Helmut Lang, 93 Mercer Street at Spring Street
- Live performance by indie band Best Coast
- Food by Luke’s Lobster; Drinks by Death + Company
- An interactive digital photo booth will livestream images from store onto helmutlang.com
La Maison du Chocolat, 30 Rockefeller Plaza at 49th Street; 1018 Madison Avenue between 78th & 79th Streets
- La Maison du Chocolat will be hosting a chocolate ganache tasting
New York & Company, 715 Lexington Avenue between 57th St & 58th Streets
- Shop, eat and take pictures with the cast of The Real Housewives of New York City, Countess LuAnn de Lesseps, Kelly Killoren Bensimon and Ramona Singer
- Music by DJ Steve Powers
Patricia Field, 302 Bowery between E Houston & Bleecker Streets
- Meet designers V.O.N., Seville Michelle Anastos, Phillipe & David Blond, and Zana Bayne
- Receive special gift bags and be included a prize raffle
- Vodka cocktails will be served; party goes until 1am
Rebecca Taylor, 34 Gansevoort Street between Hudson & Greenwich Streets
- Jams provided by Brooklyn band AVAN LAVA along with DJ performances by Narcisse & Fischerspooner’s Ian Pai & Le Chev
- Enter the “Who Wore it Best” contest from 7pm-9pm to win 2 tickets to a Rebecca Taylor Fashion Show
- Blooming Cake Pops and Svedka vodka cocktails will be served
Scott J Aveda. Salonspa, 242 East 86th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenue
- Free Hair Care Consultations, Makeup Touch Ups, and Hand Treatments
- Be one of the first 50 guest and receive an AVEDA Product Gift and a voucher for a complimentary hair treatment with your next service
Vera Wang, 158 Mercer Street between Prince & W Houston Streets
- Vera Wang and her team will peruse NYC in their customized Mister Softee truck; giving out free ice cream
- Shopping incentives and giveaways available
Worth & Worth, 45 West 57th Street between Fifth & Avenue of the Americas
- Great Gatsby themed Gala including build your own hat event, celebrity hat auction, cocktails, live music, photo booth, and more
Madison Avenue Spy Fashion Hunt, shops between 57th & 86th Streets
- The ultimate scavenger hunt-shoppers are invited to attend and tweet pictures from a list of events happening at retailers on Madison Avenue (between 57th-86th streets). Shoppers who complete three tasks will be directed to a secret Madison Avenue location where they will be awarded with prizes and champagne
- Chance to win from leading brands like Betsey Johnson, Juicy Couture, La Perla; for officials rules, visit madisonavenuespy.com
Manolo Blahnik, 31 West 54th New York NY 10019
- Sarah Jessica Parker and Manolo Blahnik USA invite you to celebrate Fashion’s Night Out on September 8th at their boutique where they will unveil a special shoe Sarah Jessica teamed up with Manolo in designing.
- In toasting this very special collaboration a van will be tooting around the city with Manolo’s favorite treat—milkshakes.
- Milkshakes and Manolos, what could be better! A portion of the proceeds will go to The Fund for Public Schools.
The Beverly Center, 8500 Beverly Boulevard
- This star-studded Luxury Fashion Show hosted by Nicole Richie will feature the trendiest fall looks. Expect to see an abundance of A-listers, press, and fashion editors
Alice + Olivia, 134 South Robertson Boulevard
- This carnival-inspired theme block party makes you feel like a kid again with sno-cones, cotton candy, games and raffles
ADBD Space (Paul Frank Pop-Up Shop), 8246 Beverly Blvd
- This retro-inspired disco themed party hosted by Paul Frank and Red Light PR is complete with a pop-up shop, henna tattoos, and a custom photobooth. Taryn Manning will be Djing the event. Don’t miss out on the fully stocked candy bar and drinks all night
City Style Collective, 695 North Miami Avenue
- 30 of Miami’s hottest acts from fashion and beauty will be participating in this pop-up shop event. This jammed-packed event will feature mini-make-overs, hair touch-ups, photo shoots, dancing, live entertainment, and music provided by DJ Rob Di Nero
Galleria Dallas, 13350 Dallas Parkway Suite 3080
- Participating retailers here are offering a ton of deals and freebies: Prosecco and Italian specialty cocktails at Gucci, photo sessions at Saks Fifth Avenue taken by an Estée Lauder photography artist; free wristlet with your purchase of $150 at Dooney & Bourke
Oak Street Shops, Oak Street between Michigan Avenue and State Street
- Drink and meet the designers of Henry & Belle Denim Company all while receiving a 20% discount; Ashley Zisook, owner of Sofia and her stylists will be offering champagne, discounts and giveaways. First 500 guests receive a FNO tote bag. All shoppers will receive one raffle ticket with every purchase at a participating store
Shopping for a cause: NYC AIDS Fund is the official charity of Fashion Night Out where 40% of proceeds from sales of the limited edition FNO t-shirts ($25), long-sleeved shirts ($30), caps ($15), and totes ($50) will be donated. The collection is available at various retailers and major department stores and online at fashionsnightout.com/collection
Barneys will be donating 10% of its FNO sales at the Barneys Madison Avenue store (and 10% of Barneys.com sales) to the National September 11th Memorial & Museum.