When it comes to trends, what says spring more than pastels? Gorgeous pale shades were all over the runways, so we’ve hand-picked the most stylish pastel fashion items, accessories and beauty products for you to try this spring.
Illamasqua Cream Pigment in Dab, $24
This matte cream pigment has amazing coverage as an eye shadow and is super easy to apply with your fingertips or a brush. It’s a perfect way to try out a pastel purple look!
Nars Blush in Gaeity, $28
Nars has become the authority for blush. Get cheeky with this pastel-y pink.
Bobbi Brown Cream Lip Color in Pale Mauve, $23
Pale pastel lips are so mod. For Twiggy-esque lips, try Bobbi Brown’s cream lip color.
Essie Love & Acceptance Nail Polish, $8
This new shade is actually from Essie’s wedding collection, but even if you aren’t tying the knot, you will love this dainty color.
LC Lauren Conrad Platform High Heels, $38.99
Adorable AND affordable, these suede pumps from Lauren Conrad’s line for Kohl’s look great with jeans or a dress…the pale pink easily matches with many outfits.
Diane von Furstenberg Rina Top, $245
DVF’s famous wrap dresses…now in blouse form and in an on-trend pastel purple. Pair it with linen pants on the weekend or throw a blazer over it for the office.
Rag & Bone Midrise Ankle Zip Seafoam Jeans, $188
Rag & Bone just makes the BEST skinny jeans in amazing colors. The zippered ankle adds an edgy detail that looks fab paired with a leather jacket.
cut25 Matte Jersey Cut-Out Dress, $355
How amazing is this shift? In a basic shape with sexy cut-outs and a gorgeous color, this frock is the ultimate party dress.
3.1 Phillip Lim Lark Small Duffel, $875
If you find yourself always wearing black, try the pastel trend with a muted statement bag like this one from 3.1 Phillip Lim.
TV personality and fashion expert Jill Martin is the go-to girl for all things style. She is a regular contributor for NBC’s Today Show and is known for her popular “Ambush Makeovers” and “Steals and Deals” segments, and sports interviews for the NY Knicks. She is also the NY correspondent for Access Hollywood landing all big celeb interviews. I love that Jill always shares her insights on the latest trends and how best to shop on a budget. She also offers great advice through her fashion self-help books, “Fashion for Dummies” and New York Times best seller “I Have Nothing to Wear.” I caught up with the style maven to get some fashion and beauty tips, tricks and product picks!
MM: How do you best describe your look or style?
JM: Classic. I am most comfortable in jeans, a white t-shirt and ballet flats. The second I am done covering a red carpet, the heels come off and the Uggs go on!
MM: What are some recent purchases you are loving right now?
JM: My ALC Leather Dress (from 25Park.com), Alexander Wang long sleeve white t-shirt, fab turquoise earrings from Jennifer Miller Jewelry and hot pink Jimmy Choo sandals that I got at Bergdorf’s for 70% off!
MM: What is one timeless piece all women need in their wardrobe?
JM: A great pair of jeans!
MM: Who are some of your favorite designers in different price points and why?
JM: I love designers at all different price points: Dior, Michael Kors, Diane Von Furstenberg, Robert Rodriguez…and if you want a real deal, Zara has great pieces!
MM: What should every women splurge on?
JM: A great “schlep” bag!
MM: What are some things we can all do to de-clutter our closet?
JM: Go into your closet and take out your favorite things: blouse, jeans, sweater, slacks etc., and lay them on the bed. Then take out every other piece from your closet and if they don’t match up to the way you feel in your favorite items, then it’s time for them to go! I would rather you have 30 amazing pieces than 300 that are just “eh.”
MM: What are some tips for shopping smart?
JM: One-in, One-out (or for my mother, one-in, five-out). You shop smarter when you know you have to let something go.
Fashion Week was a whirlwind of outrageous styles, sky-high heels, glamorous parties and celebrity sightings. We spyed Emma Roberts, Alexa Chung, Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Stam, Beyonce, Heidi Klum, Johnny Weir, Nigel Barker, Olivia Palermo, Ramona Singer, Whitney Port, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kelly Rutherford and Kourtney Kardashian, among others. Everyone loves to spot the celebs at Lincoln Center but fashion week is really about the designers and showcasing their new collections for Spring 2012. What shows stuck out in our mind? Read on for our Fashion Week faves!
Zac Posen is known for ultra-feminine and figure-flattering styles (see picture above). This season he went retro chic, too, and we loved it! Flirty dresses in fab prints and colorful solids. No wonder he is a celeb red carpet favorite.
Rag and Bone was sporty with hoods, drawstrings and pops of neon orange. Super young and fresh!
Rebecca Taylor was also a feminine favorite with muted grays, flowy florals and lace cutouts.
We loved Diane von Furstenberg’s use of lace and color blocking. Her clothes were very wearable, as usual!
The Pamella Roland presentation rocked with models that turned up the attitude with dramatic poses and chic shades! Gowns and sequins galore, real Hollywood glamour.
Rachel Roy’s last look was absolutely breathtaking: a fabulous blue dress with a dramatic back was our hands-down favorite.
Models at Elie Tahari donned tailored pieces paired with gladiator boot-sandals for a Greco-Roman look. Tailored and at the same time feminine.
Ralph Lauren was total modern elegance. Think silk pastels with feather and sequin accents…very Spring!
This year Christian Siriano’s collection was his signature oversized chiffon ruffles and edgy footwear meets J.Crew-esque nautical striped tees. (PS, Did you know you can get wearable versions of his glam shoes at Payless?)
Jill Stuart used lots of pastels including pale coral, yellow and blue. There was a great mixture of pants, dresses, flowy skirts and silk fabrics in solids and soft ethereal prints (lots of Hermes orange too!).
Yigal Azrouel’s contemporary line Cut25 used color blocking to create a line of flawless casual basics. Sporty, clean lines reminiscent of 80’s surf culture.
Narciso Rodriguez’ collection was full of graphic prints, pretty below-the-knee shift dresses and lavender. Feminine and modern.
Donna Karan featured tribal prints and flattering fits with lots of a-line styles. Favorite cocktail dress: short purple, one shoulder number with perfect ruching.
Michael Kors went for an African-inspired collection with flowing earth tone fabrics and neutral animal prints. The accessories (bags and belts!) were the highlight.
Prabal Gurung had one of the best collections we have seen! Lots of violet, fabulous use of sheer fabrics and prints, black and white. Simply gorgeous…We want everything!
Helmut Lang is one of our all time favorite designers and this edgy collection did not disappoint. We love his signature use of draping in severe black and white with a splash of daffodil yellow for spring.
It’s back-and better than ever. In it’s 3rd-year, Fashion’s Night Out, where thousands of retailers across the country stay open late for the ultimate shopping party of food, drinks-and of course to celebrate fashion. This all-out extravaganza will hit New York City on Thursday, September 8th, a prelude to New York Fashion Week (September 9th, 10th & 12th).
With debuts from J Brand and Chanel, to celebrity appearances from Heidi Klum, Rachel Zoe, Joss Stone, Ne-Yo, The Real Housewives of New York; and to top-it-off, Vera Wang in an ice cream truck, this is one star-studded event you won’t want to miss.
Here are the events you’ll want to check out in New York, LA, Miami, Dallas, and Chicago:
Topshop, 478 Broadway between Broadway and Broome
- Teamed up with Vogue Magazine, top models Chanel Iman, Coco Rocha, Karlie Kloss, Abbey Lee, and Charlotte Free will be giving out styling tips for the upcoming season; they will also select their favorite items from Topshop’s AW11 collection, debuting on FNO
- Customers who purchase one of the “favorite items” get the chance to be photographed with their favorite model; pictures will be posted on Tophop’s Facebook page
- Shoppers who spend over $100 will receive a notebook with a print from the AW11 collection on the cover; choose from one of four covers
Bergdorf Goodman, 754 5th Avenue at 58th Street
- Appearance by Michael Kors; Performance by Audrianna Cole
- Oscar de la Renta will be signing his limited edition “Face of Fashion” Fall kaleidoscope palette by Le Métier de Beauté
- Badgley Mischka, Joseph Altuzarra, Lela Rose, and Reem Acra will walk the runway with their furry friends in the Designer Dog Show
Diane von Furstenberg, 874 Washington Street at 14th Street
- Performance by Grammy Winner Estelle; performance features songs off her new album, All of Me
- Sample DVF’s new fragrance, Diane, before it hits stores in October. Enter to win an autographed bottle from Diane herself
Tory Burch, 797 Madison Avenue between 67th & 68th Streets
- Spend $250 or more and get styled by Vogue Editor Jessica Sailer and photographed by Fashion photographer Beau Grealy; chance to be featured on the Tory Blog
- Limited edition tote will be given to everyone who makes a $100 purchase
DKNY, 655 Madison Avenue between 60th & 61st Streets; 420 West Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Shoppers who spend $250 or more will receive a limited edition tote with a DVD of documentary “Bill Cunningham New York”
- Complimentary popcorn and beer provided by Brooklyn Lager
- Complimentary Blind Barber haircuts
Michael Kors, 610 Fifth Avenue at Rockefeller Center
- Appearances by the Rockettes
- Champagne and live music by a guest DJ
- Chance to win denim totes signed by Michael himself
Sephora, 597 5th Avenue between 48th & 49th Streets
- Get all your beauty questions answered by a panel of experts: Vogue Beauty Director Sarah Brown, celebrity hairstylist Oscar Blandi, Founder and Creative Director of Urban Decay Cosmetics Wende Zomnir, and skincare guru Kate Somerville
Sephora Soho, 555 Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Be one of the first 50 customers here and receive a free makeover and a “Stila-Girl” inspired sketch of yourself
Sephora Columbus Circle, 10 Columbus Circle between West 58th & 60th Streets
- Celebrity skin experts Sophie Evans and Fiona Locke of St. Tropez share all their beauty secrets
- Complimentary spray tanning
- Product giveaways- all customers will receive a free gift with a St. Tropez purchase; change to a prize valued at $200
Lord & Taylor, 424 5th Avenue between East 38th and 39th
- Wear This, Not That author Suze Yalof Schwartz answers all your style questions. Enter to win a $1,000 shopping spree
- Singer/Songwriter Solange Knowles will be DJing. Meet her and receive a photo
- Meet Ivanka Trump and receive a photo
Macy’s Herald Square, 151 West 34th Street at 6th Avenue
- Gucci Guilty Dance Party with Samantha Ronson
- Appearances by Tommy Hilfiger, Coco Rocha, America’s Next Top Model Judge J. Alexander, Bobbi Brown, Anna Dello Russo, Karolina Kurkova, and Rachel Roy
- Live musical performance by Joss Stone
Saks Fifth Avenue, 611 5th Avenue at 49th Street
- The Chronicles of Narnia, Tilda Swinton will be making an appearance with Pringle of Scotland designer Alistair Carr and Central Saint Martins’ Louise Wilson
- Hat signing and performance by Ne-Yo
- Win a $10,00 Fall Shopping Spree from StyleList, visit: stylelist.com/saks/
Victoria’s Secret, 591 Broadway between Houston and Prince Streets
- Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Erin Heatherton, and Lily Aldridge will be offering customer makeovers, photo opportunities and a fragrance preview
L’Occitane, 48 9th Avenue at 14th Street; 146 Spring Street between Wooster St & Broadway
- Complimentary chilled rosé
- Complimentary hand massages
- Riviera-inspired tote bag filled with the brands most essential beauty goodies
QVC, 428 Broadway between Howard & Canal Streets
- Meet QVC Designers as they discuss fashion, beauty and trends
- Try on the latest fashion and accessories in the Rowenta fashion closet
- Heidi Klum is unveiling her new jewelry line for QVC, WILDLIFE by Heidi Klum
Bloomingdale’s, Soho, 504 Broadway between Spring and Broome
- Appearance by Rachel Zoe; her recent clothing line The Rachel Zoe Collection is available for purchase
- Appearance by Erin Wasson and her capsule collection for Zadig & Voltaire
- A truth or lie game told to shoppers; hosted by Bono’s Wife, Ali Hewson
Helmut Lang, 93 Mercer Street at Spring Street
- Live performance by indie band Best Coast
- Food by Luke’s Lobster; Drinks by Death + Company
- An interactive digital photo booth will livestream images from store onto helmutlang.com
La Maison du Chocolat, 30 Rockefeller Plaza at 49th Street; 1018 Madison Avenue between 78th & 79th Streets
- La Maison du Chocolat will be hosting a chocolate ganache tasting
New York & Company, 715 Lexington Avenue between 57th St & 58th Streets
- Shop, eat and take pictures with the cast of The Real Housewives of New York City, Countess LuAnn de Lesseps, Kelly Killoren Bensimon and Ramona Singer
- Music by DJ Steve Powers
Patricia Field, 302 Bowery between E Houston & Bleecker Streets
- Meet designers V.O.N., Seville Michelle Anastos, Phillipe & David Blond, and Zana Bayne
- Receive special gift bags and be included a prize raffle
- Vodka cocktails will be served; party goes until 1am
Rebecca Taylor, 34 Gansevoort Street between Hudson & Greenwich Streets
- Jams provided by Brooklyn band AVAN LAVA along with DJ performances by Narcisse & Fischerspooner’s Ian Pai & Le Chev
- Enter the “Who Wore it Best” contest from 7pm-9pm to win 2 tickets to a Rebecca Taylor Fashion Show
- Blooming Cake Pops and Svedka vodka cocktails will be served
Scott J Aveda. Salonspa, 242 East 86th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenue
- Free Hair Care Consultations, Makeup Touch Ups, and Hand Treatments
- Be one of the first 50 guest and receive an AVEDA Product Gift and a voucher for a complimentary hair treatment with your next service
Vera Wang, 158 Mercer Street between Prince & W Houston Streets
- Vera Wang and her team will peruse NYC in their customized Mister Softee truck; giving out free ice cream
- Shopping incentives and giveaways available
Worth & Worth, 45 West 57th Street between Fifth & Avenue of the Americas
- Great Gatsby themed Gala including build your own hat event, celebrity hat auction, cocktails, live music, photo booth, and more
Madison Avenue Spy Fashion Hunt, shops between 57th & 86th Streets
- The ultimate scavenger hunt-shoppers are invited to attend and tweet pictures from a list of events happening at retailers on Madison Avenue (between 57th-86th streets). Shoppers who complete three tasks will be directed to a secret Madison Avenue location where they will be awarded with prizes and champagne
- Chance to win from leading brands like Betsey Johnson, Juicy Couture, La Perla; for officials rules, visit madisonavenuespy.com
Manolo Blahnik, 31 West 54th New York NY 10019
- Sarah Jessica Parker and Manolo Blahnik USA invite you to celebrate Fashion’s Night Out on September 8th at their boutique where they will unveil a special shoe Sarah Jessica teamed up with Manolo in designing.
- In toasting this very special collaboration a van will be tooting around the city with Manolo’s favorite treat—milkshakes.
- Milkshakes and Manolos, what could be better! A portion of the proceeds will go to The Fund for Public Schools.
The Beverly Center, 8500 Beverly Boulevard
- This star-studded Luxury Fashion Show hosted by Nicole Richie will feature the trendiest fall looks. Expect to see an abundance of A-listers, press, and fashion editors
Alice + Olivia, 134 South Robertson Boulevard
- This carnival-inspired theme block party makes you feel like a kid again with sno-cones, cotton candy, games and raffles
ADBD Space (Paul Frank Pop-Up Shop), 8246 Beverly Blvd
- This retro-inspired disco themed party hosted by Paul Frank and Red Light PR is complete with a pop-up shop, henna tattoos, and a custom photobooth. Taryn Manning will be Djing the event. Don’t miss out on the fully stocked candy bar and drinks all night
City Style Collective, 695 North Miami Avenue
- 30 of Miami’s hottest acts from fashion and beauty will be participating in this pop-up shop event. This jammed-packed event will feature mini-make-overs, hair touch-ups, photo shoots, dancing, live entertainment, and music provided by DJ Rob Di Nero
Galleria Dallas, 13350 Dallas Parkway Suite 3080
- Participating retailers here are offering a ton of deals and freebies: Prosecco and Italian specialty cocktails at Gucci, photo sessions at Saks Fifth Avenue taken by an Estée Lauder photography artist; free wristlet with your purchase of $150 at Dooney & Bourke
Oak Street Shops, Oak Street between Michigan Avenue and State Street
- Drink and meet the designers of Henry & Belle Denim Company all while receiving a 20% discount; Ashley Zisook, owner of Sofia and her stylists will be offering champagne, discounts and giveaways. First 500 guests receive a FNO tote bag. All shoppers will receive one raffle ticket with every purchase at a participating store
Shopping for a cause: NYC AIDS Fund is the official charity of Fashion Night Out where 40% of proceeds from sales of the limited edition FNO t-shirts ($25), long-sleeved shirts ($30), caps ($15), and totes ($50) will be donated. The collection is available at various retailers and major department stores and online at fashionsnightout.com/collection
Barneys will be donating 10% of its FNO sales at the Barneys Madison Avenue store (and 10% of Barneys.com sales) to the National September 11th Memorial & Museum.
Rompers and jumpsuits are the hottest thing in fashion right now, as they combine summer staples of dresses and shorts into one perfect outfit. Don’t think you can pull one off? With an array of styles, patterns and colors, you’ll definitely fall in love with one of our choices whatever your budget may be!
The Bow-Waist Short Jumpsuit by Phillip Lim is definitely for a special occasion. With its wide shoulder straps and bow waistline, this jumpsuit focuses on making your legs look long and lean without giving too much away. The umber brown color even has a subtle glow to it.
Buy Now, $475
Diane von Furstenberg’s Ballancia Romper combines the best of both worlds: fit and color. This silk romper has a stylish cowl-neck and belted waist, and comes in a bright neon coral color, which is the biggest craze this summer. Pair it with some neutral heels and earrings to really make it pop.
Buy Now, $375
Afraid of bright colors and patterns? This elegant black Stretch Silk-Satin Playsuit by Catherine Malandrino is perfect whether you want to be the center of attention or if you’re merely a wallflower. Dress it up with a fur wrap and cocktail ring, or down with some trendy tribal jewelry. Either way, it has a slimming wrap-dress effect and sash waist to flatter all shapes and sizes.
Buy Now, $375
When you need a new look for work, or have a conservative meeting or event coming up, this romper is professional and stylish. In a camel color with black accents, this 100% silk Earl Romper by Equipment has double-button cuffs, a fold-over collar and even pockets.
Buy Now, $278
If you watch Breakfast at Tiffany’s non-stop, you will fall head over heels for this White Pleated Bow Belt Playsuit from Topshop. This sleeveless romper even looks like a shift dress from far away with its high neckline and pleated bottom. Plus, it comes with an adorable camel-colored bow belt that cinches at the waist!
Buy Now, $106
The BCBGeneration Ruffle Flounce Romperis a great pick; not only does this sleeveless romper come with a flirty ruffle v-neck, but also a self-tie belt around the waist. With its intricate details, all you need are a cute pair of sandals and a few bangles to look effortlessly chic.
Buy Now, $88
Urban Outfitters Sparkle & Fade Silky Halter Romper is perfect for the girl who likes to stand out and show some skin. With its halter-style top, open strappy back and bright royal blue hue, not only will it flatter your figure, but definitely turn some heads. Reviews say that it’s great for tall and curvy girls.
Buy Now, $59
Marc by Marc Jacobs revives the retro look with his Swim Colette Floral Button Front Belted Romper. With a sweetheart neckline, button down front closure and unique old-school print, you’ll easily achieve that hourglass pin-up girl look.
Buy Now, $173
Always wanted to try animal print but have never been confident enough to pull off the bold patterns? This sleeveless Eva Romper by Dolce Vita combines the effect of zig-zag zebra stripes with the simplicity of vertical pastel stripes to maintain balance. With a removable patent black belt to fasten around the high waistline, you won’t even have to worry about trying to accessorize.
Buy Now, $110
It’s all about the pattern and the back of this ASOS Cut Out Bow Back Playsuit. Keep it covered with elbow-length sleeves while you also show some skin with a cut-out back that ties into a voluminous bow. The unique multi-colored print and great fit makes this romper a must-have!
Buy Now, $69
This colorful Lace-Up Floral Playsuit by ASOS is quite deceiving: from the front it looks like a dress with its lace-up tie bust and deep corset appearance. However, the flared shorts on this romper make it adorable AND fully functional.
Buy Now, $60
Tribal prints seem to be taking over this summer, especially in this ASOS Strappy Back Playsuit. It not only has a deep v-neck wrap front, but both shoulder straps and a halter-tie neck for extra support and style. Match it with some gladiators and gold jewelry for the best look.
Buy Now, $60
Looking for a jumpsuit that’s beachy and stylish at the same time? The Matthew Williamson Escape Silk Jumpsuit has a scoop-neck with buttons down the front to either cover-up or show off your assets. With a draw-string waist and loose silk chiffon material, you will look and feel good at the same time.
Buy Now, $828
The Haute Hippie Silk-Georgette Strapless Jumpsuit is all about accessorizing. In a gorgeous champagne color, draped-open back and tapered fit, all you need is a bold belt, heels and jewelry to stand out.
Buy Now, $425
Halston Heritage’s Black Satin-Jersey Jumpsuit combines new-age glamour with 70’s hipster style to create the perfect jumpsuit. With its relaxed top and slim-fitting bottom, it balances out your figure and looks effortlessly chic. Pair it with some strappy sandals or peep-toe boots and a bright clutch to pull it all together.
Buy Now, $355
Based off of Audrina Patridge’s great style, this ASOS Pleated Bust Jumpsuit is form fitting and tailored to accentuate all the right curves. Strapless and classy, we recommend it in Chestnut or Nude with simple accessories.
Buy Now, $95
This strapless ASOS Tuck Bandeau Peg Jumpsuit may look like it’s made of expensive silk, but comes at a more affordable price and easier maintenance. In a gorgeous jade color with a delicate tie waist, you will turn heads as you walk down the street.
Buy Now, $69
A blend of fabrics makes this simple Tri-Blend Pocket Jumpsuit from American Apparel the best for comfort. With an array of colors, you can wear it out at night with strappy heels and a contrasting belt, or merely for day-to-day errands. We love it in Athletic Grey because it can match with almost anything.
Buy Now, $48