When you take the time to make a gift yourself, your thoughtfulness is always noticed and appreciated. This Valentine ’s Day gift has benefits—DIY means saving money. Traditional Valentine’s Day gifts, such as chocolate truffles and long-stemmed roses, cost a fortune and last a minute. Instead, make a memory that lasts longer than Valentine’s Day when you give someone you love a homemade, beautiful bouquet of flowers.
For a Beautiful Floral Arrangement, Choose the Look of Your Bouquet
To make it easy to create a beautiful floral arrangement, select 1 of the following 3 styles, then follow the 6 DIY steps for making a floral bouquet.
• Singular Flower Bouquet Choose 1 kind of flower in 1 color. Whether you buy 1 bunch or spring for several of the same, you can’t go wrong with this look.
• Tonal Flower Bouquet Pick 2–3 flowers that complement each other in shape and that are in related tones of the same color. For example, a Valentine’s Day bouquet might include 3 flowers, each in different shades of pink, such as blush, medium pink, and fuchsia.
• Mixed Flower Bouquet Choose 3 flowers, again in complementary shapes. In picking colors, the trick here is to choose 2 that are in the same color family and 1 that is contrasting. For example, a bouquet may have 2 shades of pink with orange as the third color, or lavender and purple with fuchsia as the third color.
DIY Flowers for Valentine’s Day: As Easy as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Here are 6 easy steps to make a gorgeous Valentine’s Day bouquet. To make it extra simple, we’ve created a bouquet of Gerbera Daisies, which is truly one of the most common flowers around. You can use these or any other flowers that are available at your grocery store or florist.
Step 1: Gather the Flowers Together
Whether you buy individual flowers, 1 bunch, or several, put the stems together in your hand, arranging the flowers so they line up head to head.
Step 2: Organize the Flowers by Their Length
Lay the flowers down on a surface so they are the same height from the top down.
Step 3: Assemble Your Floral Bouquet
Bunch the flowers’ stems together and tie them with a piece of raffia.
Step 4: Trim the Stems of the Flowers
Cut the stems so they are even. Be sure to use water tubes for any stems that will be out of water for more than an hour or so. Once you present your floral bouquet to your special someone, the stems’ ends will need a fresh cut before being placed in water. This ensures that the flowers will drink and last longer.
Step 5: Wrap Your Floral Bouquet Like a Present
Skip the paper or other wrapping altogether if you can’t find something pretty. Instead, use ribbon to tie around the stems of the bouquet. You can buy ribbon from most florists or fabric or craft stores. Be sure to cut frayed edges off the bottom edges of the ribbon. (If you use water tubes, wrap the stems in paper.)
Step 6: Give Your Flowers Poetic License
For an added personal touch, pick a favorite poem, handwrite or print it on a card, and attach it to the bouquet!
And there you have it—6 easy DIY steps that will guide you in making a bouquet of flowers for Valentine’s Day!
• Show Your BFF Some Valentine’s Day Love with a DIY Gift, or Buy One for $10 or Less
• Feather Your Love Nest with Romantic Home Décor
• Spice Up Your Valentine’s Day with 8 Natural Aphrodisiacs