With January resolve starting to wane, many of us could use some help keeping our eating on-track. To keep energy high and our bodies slim as we fight off those winter blues it’s essential to eat nutritious foods throughout the day and stay well hydrated. However, we can run into trouble when our hectic and complex lives get in the way, making it difficult to eat those health boosting foods we know and love.
The solution lies in the preparation – you can choose a specially designed meal plan like Nutritious Life Meals, or prep, cook and pack yourself. Either way, the tips below will help keep your energy up and your metabolism revved while eating on-the-go. The reward will be a happier, slimmer and sexier you!
1. Nutritious Life Meals
Nutritious Life Meals is my newest tool to help you live a more Nutritious Life. The program will help you fit nutrition into your routine effortlessly and consistently, resulting in a healthier and slimmer you!
The plan works like this: each day, three freshly prepared gourmet meals and two snacks will be delivered right to your doorstep. I created each meal, so you know that you will be getting the right balance of nutrients in the proper portions to help you lose weight and gain energy. If you have allergies, dietary restrictions or simply don’t like certain foods (broccoli may never be your favorite, no matter how nutritious it is!), before each meal is delivered you can log into your online account, choose between four meal options, and even give some foods a “thumbs down.” This ensures that you’ll get nutritious meals that you will enjoy and be excited to eat!
2. “Brown Bag” 2012 Style
A portable cooler may not be the chicest carryall, but it’s an excellent tool to help you eat empowered. Portable coolers allow you to bring along more substantial snacks like endive and hummus, cheese and turkey slices or yogurt and nuts. These snacks are great because they combine protein and fat to help you stay satisfied. Okay, maybe a cooler is going a bit above and beyond for some of you, but a Built insulated lunch bag is something even the most uber-fashionistas can handle.
3. RX for Snacks: Have an emergency stash
Sometimes you need to run out the door and simply don’t have the time to prep a bag full of snacks (some days are just too unpredictable). For these times, a pre-packed snack bag is essential. Keep this bag loaded with nonperishable items such as mixed nuts, high fiber crackers, natural peanut butter packets and organic turkey jerky. Some of my favorite choices even include ‘unconventional’ items like tuna packets and oatmeal packets. I also recommend stashing some green tea and True Lemon packets in your snack bag to add to water so that you can always stay hydrated. Keep this emergency stash on hand at home to throw in your bag, glove compartment and inside your desk at work.
To order Keri Glassman’s Nutritious Life Meals click here.
| Nationally recognized nutrition expert and published author Keri Glassman is the founder and president of Keri Glassman, Nutritious Life, a nutrition practice based in New York City. For years, Keri has been a leader in advancing a “whole person” approach to health and wellness.She has dedicated her career to creating services and promoting education through her Nutritious Life brand. She has authored two books; the most recent is The O2 Diet. The Cutting Edge, Antioxidant-Based Program That Will Make You Healthy, Thin and Beautiful. (Rodale, December 2009.) This book translates complex scientific research on antioxidants and the ORAC scale into useful and usable tools that everyone can benefit from. It empowers people to live a more Nutritious Life by combining a nutrient dense, high antioxidant diet with the other components of a Nutritious Life. The O2 Diet follows the Snack Factor Diet, (Crown, 2007.)Keri is a contributing editor and advisory board member for Women’s Health Magazine, and was the first registered dietitian to create a real food based snack bar, KeriBar.Additionally, Keri is the Nutrition and Health contributor for NBC’s New York Live, and is regularly featured on national television programs including NBC’s The Today Show, ABC’s Good Morning America, Access Hollywood Live, The View, Dr. Oz, The Doctors, The Wendy Williams Show, MSNBC and The Fox News Channel.
Keri resides in New York City with her children, Rex and Maizy.
Don’t let swimsuit season get you down, I’ve got the skinny on the superfoods for trimming your waistline and making you look and feel better from the inside out. I’ve spent the last 28 years in search of the most potent and healing foods and herbs to use in my nutrition clinic, traveling from the dense jungles of the Amazon Rainforest in Brazil to the Himalayan Mountain region of Inner Mongolia and everywhere in between.
While, I’ve come across some amazing herbs and powerful foods in my travels around the globe, the good news is that several of my most tried and true superfoods for slimming down are available in your local grocery store! Here are my top five accessible and delicious superfoods that will help burn off those extra pounds and give you that radiant summertime glow that will make heads turn.
1. Spice it up with Capsicum & Ginger – Put the spice in your summer refreshment. Capsicum is one of my favorite superfoods because it is chock full of nutrients and medicinal properties. I’ll bet you didn’t know that a cayenne pepper has more Vitamin C than an orange. And ginger is also an amazing superfood that works wonders for your digestive system, helping to ease indigestion and bloating.
So, how do these two potent foods help you slim down for summer? That sizzle on your tongue is the same spark that ignites your internal fire and generates heat, which in turn revs up your metabolism. I recommend drinking a hot unsweetened Chai tea once or twice a day and adding a little fresh ginger and crushed cayenne pepper to jump start your weight loss.
2. Guarana Boosts Energy & Binds the Appetite – This amazing little seed from the Brazilian Amazon Rainforest has over 2.5 times the amount of caffeine as coffee without any of the side effects commonly known in caffeinated coffee. It also boasts theobromine, which is the same active “feel good” compound in chocolate, which counters the negative side effects of caffeine. Guarana is Mother Nature’s perfect little energy booster with a bonus – it has also been used traditionally by the indigenous people of the Amazon Rainforest to suppress appetite in addition to boosting energy!
Now, be careful, because a lot of energy drinks tout Guarana as their key ingredient, but these are often loaded with sugars, artificial sweeteners and other harmful ingredients. Be sure to read the label. My top pick for energy is Genesis Today’s Wake Me beverage, which is available at Walmart in the refrigerated section next to the Orange Juice. This all-natural beverage contains generous amounts of Guarana and also has 500% of your Daily Value of Vitamin B12 for an added energy boost.
3. Go Green for Beauty – The darker the green, the better the veggie is for you. I could go on and on and on about how Kale, Mustard Greens, Celery, Parsley and all these dark leafy green vegetables help detoxify the blood and balance the body, but I’ll just tell you how incorporating them will speed your weight loss. Replace your breakfast with a green veggie juice and you’ll enjoy a whole load of alkalinizing beauty benefits.
On top of flushing excess water and toxins, the green juice is loaded with chlorophyll, minerals and numerous plant compounds as well as tons of natural enzymes, which aid digestion and reduce bloat. I understand that freshly juiced Kale and Spinach is sometimes hard to come by, that’s why I turn to this new product called GenEssentials Greens, which you can find at Whole Foods and other health foods retailers. These Greens have over 25 billion probiotics per serving, and each serving is chock full of vitamins, minerals, dark leafy green veggies and a plethora of essential herbs to cleanse and nourish the body and support the immune system, brain and eye power – and beauty! I drink them every morning by adding them to my fresh made veggie juice, it’s double the benefit.
4. Add a Splash of the Sea – Look at cultures who rely on the sea for the majority of their diet and you’ll note that they experience very few weight concerns – obesity is not an epidemic in Japan. That’s because the sea is chock full of waistline-friendly superfoods like Kelp, Fish and Algae. Kelp is a sea vegetable that is loaded with iodine, which is the key nutrient for the thyroid gland that is responsible for regulating metabolism. A happy thyroid means happy metabolism, so try adding some dried kelp flakes on top of your salad or adding the powder to your green veggie juice.
Also hailing from the sea are several sources of Omega 3 fatty acids, like Fish and Algae, which are important for supporting healthy weight as well as healthy skin and hair. There are two products I love for Omega Fatty Acids, one is Genesis Today’s Omega Orange Juice available at Walmart in the refrigerated section and Genesis Today’s Superfruit Omega Gummy Vitamins which are available at Walgreens. Both are excellent additions to a daily diet.
5. B-Vitamin Beauty Booster – If I told you there was one family or group of vitamins that could improve just about every system in your body, make your hair grow thicker, make your nails grow stronger, boost your energy levels and support your metabolism, would you believe me? B Complex Vitamins are one of my secrets to health and beauty, they are key to turning our food into energy (this would be called metabolism) and most people don’t get enough in their daily diet. That’s because B Vitamins are found in foods like brown rice, liver, and oysters, and they are wiped out of our system by caffeine, stress and alcohol. Additionally, B Vitamins have to be brought into our bodies daily because our bodies do not produce them on their own.
The best way to get your B Vitamins is by eating liver every day. Just kidding! Try a liquid supplement, I recommend one of the Genesis Today juices like Acai Berry Juice, Pomegranate & Berries with Resveratrol or Cranberry Goji Juice. You can find these in the refrigerated section of your local grocery store and they contain 1,000 percent of you daily value of Vitamin B12 as well as strong doses of the rest of the B complex family of vitamins. Have a glass every morning instead of your coffee and you’ll notice a dramatic change in your energy levels in only one week, and when your energy is up – so is your metabolism!