The amount of chic leather fashion pieces available this fall is crazy – no longer is it just for girls in their “Livin’ on the Edge” days. From ladylike to rocker chic to the classic LBD, we sorted through all the options to bring you the best silhouettes and shapes. Click through to see our favorites.
The classic LBD gets an edge when dressed up in glamorous black leather – this will be your go-to piece for the season and totally worth the investment! Once Upon a Time actress Ginnifer Goodwin turned heads with this dress and a pair of orange platforms.
Accessories on the red carpet can feel gimmicky, but the Two Broke Girls star’s halo-like chain was so pretty and subtle. Where do we get one? Try On Emmy Hairstyles In The Virtual Makeover Studio!
We loved the shape and shade of January’s navy smoky eye, which complemented her strawberry hair color so perfectly. Try On Emmy Hairstyles In The Virtual Makeover Studio!
The best remedy for a high-profile breakup? A gown that shows off your best assets. Knock ‘em dead, ladies. Try On Emmy Hairstyles In The Virtual Makeover Studio!
As if her enormous neck bow wasn’t enough, Ashley Judd had to go and show up in a Bride of Frankenstein updo. Yikes! Try On Emmy Hairstyles In The Virtual Makeover Studio!
Who knew something as simple as where you part your hair could totally change your look? Well, it’s true and we’ve got tips from the pros on which types of parts look best on which face shapes! Part-on us for making you look your prettiest…
THE DEEP SIDE
The deep side part goes a long way on style and sex appeal. Especially when worn with height in the crown, it’s very Brigitte Bardot. Jennifer Garner gives it a soft girlie appeal by keeping her waves natural, her sweepy bangs heavy and topping it all off with the best accessory…a big smile!
LOOKS BEST ON: Long face shapes as it breaks up the length by distracting us with the heavy fringe.
HOT TIPS: Be sure to tell your stylist if you’d like to move your part around. This cut can be worn in the middle as well, as long as your stylist knows you’ll be doing both! Create the deep side part when hair is wet before styling.
Photo credit: omghairstyles.net
TIPS BY: Natasha Sunshine of Byu-Ti Salon, Los Angeles, CA.
Byu-Ti Salon is Santa Monica’s premier hair boutique, catering to some of Hollywood’s most notable manes, including that of Ivanka Trump, Molly Sims and Eva Herzigova. The founder of Byu-Ti Salon, Natasha Sunshine, is known in the Los Angeles and New York City fashion circles for her keen sense of style and unique approach to hair therapy, Natasha not only created a six-step consulting system for helping her staff identify and meet her client’s needs, she has also developed her own seven different hair care products, to supplement the line of top-notch goodies already in use at her salon. When Natasha is not helping people feel fabulous from the inside out, or making herself camera-ready for a television appearance (most recently, The Rachael Ray Show), she is working as an industry leader and educator for L’Oreal’s exclusive hair care line, Pureology.
Fashion Week was a whirlwind of outrageous styles, sky-high heels, glamorous parties and celebrity sightings. We spyed Emma Roberts, Alexa Chung, Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Stam, Beyonce, Heidi Klum, Johnny Weir, Nigel Barker, Olivia Palermo, Ramona Singer, Whitney Port, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kelly Rutherford and Kourtney Kardashian, among others. Everyone loves to spot the celebs at Lincoln Center but fashion week is really about the designers and showcasing their new collections for Spring 2012. What shows stuck out in our mind? Read on for our Fashion Week faves!
Zac Posen is known for ultra-feminine and figure-flattering styles (see picture above). This season he went retro chic, too, and we loved it! Flirty dresses in fab prints and colorful solids. No wonder he is a celeb red carpet favorite.
Rag and Bone was sporty with hoods, drawstrings and pops of neon orange. Super young and fresh!
Rebecca Taylor was also a feminine favorite with muted grays, flowy florals and lace cutouts.
We loved Diane von Furstenberg’s use of lace and color blocking. Her clothes were very wearable, as usual!
The Pamella Roland presentation rocked with models that turned up the attitude with dramatic poses and chic shades! Gowns and sequins galore, real Hollywood glamour.
Rachel Roy’s last look was absolutely breathtaking: a fabulous blue dress with a dramatic back was our hands-down favorite.
Models at Elie Tahari donned tailored pieces paired with gladiator boot-sandals for a Greco-Roman look. Tailored and at the same time feminine.
Ralph Lauren was total modern elegance. Think silk pastels with feather and sequin accents…very Spring!
This year Christian Siriano’s collection was his signature oversized chiffon ruffles and edgy footwear meets J.Crew-esque nautical striped tees. (PS, Did you know you can get wearable versions of his glam shoes at Payless?)
Jill Stuart used lots of pastels including pale coral, yellow and blue. There was a great mixture of pants, dresses, flowy skirts and silk fabrics in solids and soft ethereal prints (lots of Hermes orange too!).
Yigal Azrouel’s contemporary line Cut25 used color blocking to create a line of flawless casual basics. Sporty, clean lines reminiscent of 80’s surf culture.
Narciso Rodriguez’ collection was full of graphic prints, pretty below-the-knee shift dresses and lavender. Feminine and modern.
Donna Karan featured tribal prints and flattering fits with lots of a-line styles. Favorite cocktail dress: short purple, one shoulder number with perfect ruching.
Michael Kors went for an African-inspired collection with flowing earth tone fabrics and neutral animal prints. The accessories (bags and belts!) were the highlight.
Prabal Gurung had one of the best collections we have seen! Lots of violet, fabulous use of sheer fabrics and prints, black and white. Simply gorgeous…We want everything!
Helmut Lang is one of our all time favorite designers and this edgy collection did not disappoint. We love his signature use of draping in severe black and white with a splash of daffodil yellow for spring.
It’s back-and better than ever. In it’s 3rd-year, Fashion’s Night Out, where thousands of retailers across the country stay open late for the ultimate shopping party of food, drinks-and of course to celebrate fashion. This all-out extravaganza will hit New York City on Thursday, September 8th, a prelude to New York Fashion Week (September 9th, 10th & 12th).
With debuts from J Brand and Chanel, to celebrity appearances from Heidi Klum, Rachel Zoe, Joss Stone, Ne-Yo, The Real Housewives of New York; and to top-it-off, Vera Wang in an ice cream truck, this is one star-studded event you won’t want to miss.
Here are the events you’ll want to check out in New York, LA, Miami, Dallas, and Chicago:
Topshop, 478 Broadway between Broadway and Broome
- Teamed up with Vogue Magazine, top models Chanel Iman, Coco Rocha, Karlie Kloss, Abbey Lee, and Charlotte Free will be giving out styling tips for the upcoming season; they will also select their favorite items from Topshop’s AW11 collection, debuting on FNO
- Customers who purchase one of the “favorite items” get the chance to be photographed with their favorite model; pictures will be posted on Tophop’s Facebook page
- Shoppers who spend over $100 will receive a notebook with a print from the AW11 collection on the cover; choose from one of four covers
Bergdorf Goodman, 754 5th Avenue at 58th Street
- Appearance by Michael Kors; Performance by Audrianna Cole
- Oscar de la Renta will be signing his limited edition “Face of Fashion” Fall kaleidoscope palette by Le Métier de Beauté
- Badgley Mischka, Joseph Altuzarra, Lela Rose, and Reem Acra will walk the runway with their furry friends in the Designer Dog Show
Diane von Furstenberg, 874 Washington Street at 14th Street
- Performance by Grammy Winner Estelle; performance features songs off her new album, All of Me
- Sample DVF’s new fragrance, Diane, before it hits stores in October. Enter to win an autographed bottle from Diane herself
Tory Burch, 797 Madison Avenue between 67th & 68th Streets
- Spend $250 or more and get styled by Vogue Editor Jessica Sailer and photographed by Fashion photographer Beau Grealy; chance to be featured on the Tory Blog
- Limited edition tote will be given to everyone who makes a $100 purchase
DKNY, 655 Madison Avenue between 60th & 61st Streets; 420 West Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Shoppers who spend $250 or more will receive a limited edition tote with a DVD of documentary “Bill Cunningham New York”
- Complimentary popcorn and beer provided by Brooklyn Lager
- Complimentary Blind Barber haircuts
Michael Kors, 610 Fifth Avenue at Rockefeller Center
- Appearances by the Rockettes
- Champagne and live music by a guest DJ
- Chance to win denim totes signed by Michael himself
Sephora, 597 5th Avenue between 48th & 49th Streets
- Get all your beauty questions answered by a panel of experts: Vogue Beauty Director Sarah Brown, celebrity hairstylist Oscar Blandi, Founder and Creative Director of Urban Decay Cosmetics Wende Zomnir, and skincare guru Kate Somerville
Sephora Soho, 555 Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Be one of the first 50 customers here and receive a free makeover and a “Stila-Girl” inspired sketch of yourself
Sephora Columbus Circle, 10 Columbus Circle between West 58th & 60th Streets
- Celebrity skin experts Sophie Evans and Fiona Locke of St. Tropez share all their beauty secrets
- Complimentary spray tanning
- Product giveaways- all customers will receive a free gift with a St. Tropez purchase; change to a prize valued at $200
Lord & Taylor, 424 5th Avenue between East 38th and 39th
- Wear This, Not That author Suze Yalof Schwartz answers all your style questions. Enter to win a $1,000 shopping spree
- Singer/Songwriter Solange Knowles will be DJing. Meet her and receive a photo
- Meet Ivanka Trump and receive a photo
Macy’s Herald Square, 151 West 34th Street at 6th Avenue
- Gucci Guilty Dance Party with Samantha Ronson
- Appearances by Tommy Hilfiger, Coco Rocha, America’s Next Top Model Judge J. Alexander, Bobbi Brown, Anna Dello Russo, Karolina Kurkova, and Rachel Roy
- Live musical performance by Joss Stone
Saks Fifth Avenue, 611 5th Avenue at 49th Street
- The Chronicles of Narnia, Tilda Swinton will be making an appearance with Pringle of Scotland designer Alistair Carr and Central Saint Martins’ Louise Wilson
- Hat signing and performance by Ne-Yo
- Win a $10,00 Fall Shopping Spree from StyleList, visit: stylelist.com/saks/
Victoria’s Secret, 591 Broadway between Houston and Prince Streets
- Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Erin Heatherton, and Lily Aldridge will be offering customer makeovers, photo opportunities and a fragrance preview
L’Occitane, 48 9th Avenue at 14th Street; 146 Spring Street between Wooster St & Broadway
- Complimentary chilled rosé
- Complimentary hand massages
- Riviera-inspired tote bag filled with the brands most essential beauty goodies
QVC, 428 Broadway between Howard & Canal Streets
- Meet QVC Designers as they discuss fashion, beauty and trends
- Try on the latest fashion and accessories in the Rowenta fashion closet
- Heidi Klum is unveiling her new jewelry line for QVC, WILDLIFE by Heidi Klum
Bloomingdale’s, Soho, 504 Broadway between Spring and Broome
- Appearance by Rachel Zoe; her recent clothing line The Rachel Zoe Collection is available for purchase
- Appearance by Erin Wasson and her capsule collection for Zadig & Voltaire
- A truth or lie game told to shoppers; hosted by Bono’s Wife, Ali Hewson
Helmut Lang, 93 Mercer Street at Spring Street
- Live performance by indie band Best Coast
- Food by Luke’s Lobster; Drinks by Death + Company
- An interactive digital photo booth will livestream images from store onto helmutlang.com
La Maison du Chocolat, 30 Rockefeller Plaza at 49th Street; 1018 Madison Avenue between 78th & 79th Streets
- La Maison du Chocolat will be hosting a chocolate ganache tasting
New York & Company, 715 Lexington Avenue between 57th St & 58th Streets
- Shop, eat and take pictures with the cast of The Real Housewives of New York City, Countess LuAnn de Lesseps, Kelly Killoren Bensimon and Ramona Singer
- Music by DJ Steve Powers
Patricia Field, 302 Bowery between E Houston & Bleecker Streets
- Meet designers V.O.N., Seville Michelle Anastos, Phillipe & David Blond, and Zana Bayne
- Receive special gift bags and be included a prize raffle
- Vodka cocktails will be served; party goes until 1am
Rebecca Taylor, 34 Gansevoort Street between Hudson & Greenwich Streets
- Jams provided by Brooklyn band AVAN LAVA along with DJ performances by Narcisse & Fischerspooner’s Ian Pai & Le Chev
- Enter the “Who Wore it Best” contest from 7pm-9pm to win 2 tickets to a Rebecca Taylor Fashion Show
- Blooming Cake Pops and Svedka vodka cocktails will be served
Scott J Aveda. Salonspa, 242 East 86th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenue
- Free Hair Care Consultations, Makeup Touch Ups, and Hand Treatments
- Be one of the first 50 guest and receive an AVEDA Product Gift and a voucher for a complimentary hair treatment with your next service
Vera Wang, 158 Mercer Street between Prince & W Houston Streets
- Vera Wang and her team will peruse NYC in their customized Mister Softee truck; giving out free ice cream
- Shopping incentives and giveaways available
Worth & Worth, 45 West 57th Street between Fifth & Avenue of the Americas
- Great Gatsby themed Gala including build your own hat event, celebrity hat auction, cocktails, live music, photo booth, and more
Madison Avenue Spy Fashion Hunt, shops between 57th & 86th Streets
- The ultimate scavenger hunt-shoppers are invited to attend and tweet pictures from a list of events happening at retailers on Madison Avenue (between 57th-86th streets). Shoppers who complete three tasks will be directed to a secret Madison Avenue location where they will be awarded with prizes and champagne
- Chance to win from leading brands like Betsey Johnson, Juicy Couture, La Perla; for officials rules, visit madisonavenuespy.com
Manolo Blahnik, 31 West 54th New York NY 10019
- Sarah Jessica Parker and Manolo Blahnik USA invite you to celebrate Fashion’s Night Out on September 8th at their boutique where they will unveil a special shoe Sarah Jessica teamed up with Manolo in designing.
- In toasting this very special collaboration a van will be tooting around the city with Manolo’s favorite treat—milkshakes.
- Milkshakes and Manolos, what could be better! A portion of the proceeds will go to The Fund for Public Schools.
The Beverly Center, 8500 Beverly Boulevard
- This star-studded Luxury Fashion Show hosted by Nicole Richie will feature the trendiest fall looks. Expect to see an abundance of A-listers, press, and fashion editors
Alice + Olivia, 134 South Robertson Boulevard
- This carnival-inspired theme block party makes you feel like a kid again with sno-cones, cotton candy, games and raffles
ADBD Space (Paul Frank Pop-Up Shop), 8246 Beverly Blvd
- This retro-inspired disco themed party hosted by Paul Frank and Red Light PR is complete with a pop-up shop, henna tattoos, and a custom photobooth. Taryn Manning will be Djing the event. Don’t miss out on the fully stocked candy bar and drinks all night
City Style Collective, 695 North Miami Avenue
- 30 of Miami’s hottest acts from fashion and beauty will be participating in this pop-up shop event. This jammed-packed event will feature mini-make-overs, hair touch-ups, photo shoots, dancing, live entertainment, and music provided by DJ Rob Di Nero
Galleria Dallas, 13350 Dallas Parkway Suite 3080
- Participating retailers here are offering a ton of deals and freebies: Prosecco and Italian specialty cocktails at Gucci, photo sessions at Saks Fifth Avenue taken by an Estée Lauder photography artist; free wristlet with your purchase of $150 at Dooney & Bourke
Oak Street Shops, Oak Street between Michigan Avenue and State Street
- Drink and meet the designers of Henry & Belle Denim Company all while receiving a 20% discount; Ashley Zisook, owner of Sofia and her stylists will be offering champagne, discounts and giveaways. First 500 guests receive a FNO tote bag. All shoppers will receive one raffle ticket with every purchase at a participating store
Shopping for a cause: NYC AIDS Fund is the official charity of Fashion Night Out where 40% of proceeds from sales of the limited edition FNO t-shirts ($25), long-sleeved shirts ($30), caps ($15), and totes ($50) will be donated. The collection is available at various retailers and major department stores and online at fashionsnightout.com/collection
Barneys will be donating 10% of its FNO sales at the Barneys Madison Avenue store (and 10% of Barneys.com sales) to the National September 11th Memorial & Museum.
These body-hugging legging jeans are comfortable and come in different washes. Pair them with anything from long, flowy tunics to casual tees.