As much as we love checking out all of the new collections designers roll out, when you have backstage access it’s all about the beauty! The world’s best hair stylists and sought after make-up artists create the fabulous looks we see on the runway that set the trends for real life. Here are our picks of the coolest hair and make-up looks during New York Fashion Week.
I have olive skin so I am more prone to dark under eye circles (they are also inherited). The best remedy is to get a good night sleep and learn how to best cover them up! International celebrity make-up artist Sue Devitt gave me some easy steps to diminish the “bruised” look so many of us sport under our eyes.
Covering Dark Undereye Circles:
1. Start by applying 70% Gel Foundation and corresponding Triple C-Weed Pressed Powder to achieve the perfect base.
2. Apply foundation using your finger tips in order to ensure all areas are covered. Then lightly dust Triple C-Weed Pressed Powder across the skin.
3. Only use concealer as needed, but a little Bermuda Triangle Undereye Corrector everyday can do wonders for your complexion and makes dark circles instantly disappear.
4. When targeting dark circles remember to always use a peach toned corrector because the peach hue will counteract the blue and green tones found in dark circles.
5. Make sure you start with the corrector at the very inner corner of the under eye.
Caitlin Osborne: Your skin always looks so flawless; do you have a favorite sunscreen?
Dita Von Teese: Lets see, I like the Dior, like Dior has one that I can’t remember the name of it; but it’s a make-up based product Dior makes.
Buy Now, Dior Hydra Life Skin Tint SPF 20, $39
Buy Now, UV Shield SPF 50, $56
Buy Now, Extreme Wear Flawless Makeup SPF 25, $46
Buy Now, Hydra Life Protective Fluid SPF 15, $52.55
Buy Now, Hydra Life Protective Crème SPF 15, $56
CO: How do you get the perfect red lips?
DVT: Oh, you have to have patience. You have to have a lip-liner; I prefer MAC Beet, it’s my favorite, and you have to have a really good lipstick. My favorite is DIOR Roulette Red or Dolce Vita Red.
CO: Do you have a favorite liquid eyeliner?
DVT: I love the Guerlain Divinora liquid liner and I also use MAC Blacktrack with a brush.
CO: So this is your second cocktail launch with Cointreau?
CO: What’s been fun about being the face of Cointreau?
DVT: Well, I guess I’m going on like almost 5 years. I think what I love most is that when they approached me they really had a great understanding of what I do; and there would be a controversial tagline obviously about what I do and how I live my life. And, it’s like a classic French brand; Cointreau is like I don’t know, 200 years old or something, and I like the history of it. I also love that working with Cointreau opened up my eyes to how wonderful it is to be able to mix your own cocktails and how we’re so conditioned to think we can’t do it and we have to be a bartender to do it, but it’s so simple really.
CO: Do you like to entertain?
DVT: I do.
CO: Do you make up your own cocktails?
DVT: I do. It’s mostly margaritas, so I asked them, do you want to do a margarita and call it a “MargaDita”?
CO: I wanted to ask you too, do you have a secret to staying in shape?
DVT: I do Pilates and take ballet classes, and don’t eat too much bread. My rule is, I only eat carbs, well, I only eat bread when I’m in Paris.
CO: That’s a good rule. What’s your next big project coming up?
DVT: Well, I’m in the process of creating a perfume.
CO: I was going to ask you what scent you were wearing actually.
DVT: I’ve been working a lot in Paris, involving noses, and I guess apparently when you do celebrity fragrances, they just say, “these are the most popular fragrances, sign here”; well I didn’t want to do that. I wanted something I’d really like and would want to wear myself, so I’ve been a real pain in the ass for them in trying to find the right fragrance, so I’m in the process of testing things they’ve made for me based on what I’ve asked them to do.
CO: Well without ruining the surprise, what kind of scents do you like?
DVT: I really want something that evokes glamour, and is about big, beautiful, luscious, sexy flowers but with a little bit of a dangerous twist. I don’t want something too sweet or that smells like candy or fruit because a lot of fragrances do, but I want it to be about the glitz and glamour, something that sets you apart from everyone else.
During the month of July you can see Dita perform her variety show “Burlesque: Strip Strip Hooray!” at the House of Blues in New Orleans, Dallas and Houston. For more info visit www.dita.net.
Image © Sheryl Nields
Mother’s day is approaching fast which brings with it the task of finding the perfect gift for Mom. There are plenty of new products out there that are sure to suit even the pickiest of mothers. I have something unique and special for every type of mom:
1. Foodie Mom Gwyneth Paltrow’s New Cookbook – “My Father’s Daughter”
I went to Gwyneth’s book signing at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago to pick up a copy of her new cook book to review. Thanks to Glee, we all know superstar celeb Gwyneth can sing, but did you know she can cook? In “My Father’s Daughter” she shares her recipes that celebrate family and togetherness. With a foreword by master chef Mario Batali, you know the recipes must be delicious! They are also remarkably easy for even the most gastronomically challenged Mom. Plus, there’s something for every palatte from the exotic tuna and ginger burgers to chicken and dumplings to wood oven pizza. I literally want to try every recipe in this book.
Buy Now – $30
2. Fashionable Mom
Rich Rocks Jewelry
Rich Rocks is a fabulous costume jewelry line with a celebrity following that appeals to women of all ages. The cast of Gossip Girl certainly loves their baubles–Blake Lively, Leighton Meester and Kelly Rutherford to name a few. The selection is carefully edited and there is something for everyone. For the classic mom, I love the elegant pair of silver clover hoops (very Van Cleef). The boho Mom will adore the leaf earrings with champagne crystals and the hip Mom would enjoy the oversized hanging smokey dangle earrings. Also, all of the jewelry looks luxe and the pieces have a nice weight to them.
Buy Now – Clover hoops – $75
Buy Now – Leaf earrings – $40
Buy Now – Smokey dangle earrings – $75
Jennifer Miller Jewelry
Another great costume jewelry line and designer who is always on trend is Jennifer Miller. I am crazy about their dog tag necklace engraved with the sentiment, “LUV U MOM.” I like this one for the cool Mom who lives in jeans and t-shirts. It also has a yellow gold-plated cut out heart charm disk to add to the style. Made of sterling silver on a 30” stainless ball chain, the necklace looks very substantial and is the perfect Mother’s Day gift for Mom from the kids.
Buy Now – $175
3. Pampered Mom L’Occitane Sparkling Verbena Skin Care Set
If you’re mom loves the spa, pamper her this Mother’s Day with this Sparkling Verbena set from L’Occitane. This kit has everything Mom needs to relax including shower gel, body lotion, a delicious verbena scented sachet, shea butter hand cream and shea butter soap in milk and verbena scent. It even comes with a Mother’s Day card. I am a huge fan of these products and use them regularly. It is SO nice when someone buys them for you!
Buy Now – $55
4. Beauty Junkie Mom “All About My Mother” Make-up Gift Pack
Celebrity make-up artist Napoleon Perdis “All About My Mother” gift pack comes wrapped and ready to go in a lovely gift box. The make-up kit includes a cute vintage-inspired coin case with universally flattering shades of eyeshadow, cream blush and lip color. I love the lip color because it is shiny but not sticky and the four color eye shadow palette has the hottest colors of the season. Cream blush is super easy to use and all of the makeup in the kit comes with “how to” instructions (available in two different color palettes).
Buy Now – $49 ($100 value)
5. Techie Mom PhotoOp Ipad Case
If your Mom is anything like me, she never goes anywhere without her iPad. Luckily, PhotoOp makes an iPad case that you can personalize with an adorable photo of the kids. All moms appreciate personalized gifts! Just email PhotoOp the picture you would like to use as a jpeg, and they will send you the ipad case. Available in leather or fabric.
Buy Now – Leather – $150, Fabric – $120 (Call the studio at 212-362-1911 to place an order)
6. Eco-Conscious Mom Recycled Windshield White Wine Decanter from Gifts.com
A sophisticated and modern wine decanter made from recycled auto-glass is the ideal gift for the eco-conscious Mom. What’s really cool about this decanter is that it has an open ice chamber that chills wine without diluting it. Every decanter is unique and handmade in Colombia making it a special gift that any Earth-friendly mother will love to have in her home. I would use it as a decorative piece and for chilling ice tea or lemonade!
Buy Now – $55
7. Sentimental Mom TinyPrints.com Personalized Mother’s Day Cards
A refreshing break from the ordinary drugstore greeting card, TinyPrints.com offers personalized cards that they even send for you. No need to remember to mail a card on time or waste time trying to choose the right card. TinyPrints custom-made cards are heartfelt and special. Choose the photos, colors, fonts and text to create a card Mom will cherish. Tiny Prints also offers personalized stationary as a gift for Mom. Celebrity fans of TinyPrints include Gwyneth Paltrow, Kelly Ripa, Rachel Zoe, Reese Witherspoon and Brooke Shields.
Buy Now – $1.99 – $3.99 per card
8. Organized Mom (or one who wants to be) PurseN Purse Organizers
Whether your Mom loves to be organized or if your Mom is the type who can’t find anything in her purse (sound familiar?), the PurseN purse inserts are a fashionable and functional gift. These organizers make it easy to change from purse to purse without leaving behind any of your go-to items and keep bags clean. The inserts make Mom’s life easier with compartments for everything from her phone to her lipstick and wallet–and the rest of the “stuff.” Good-bye black hole!
Buy Now – $58
9. Charitable Mom Love Quotes Scarves
Loved by celebs like Sarah Jessica Parker, Kate Hudson, and Jennifer Aniston for their luxe fabric, chic colors and charitable cause, Phyllis Wiener’s “Love Quotes” scarves make a perfect gift for the chic Mom who wants to give back. The scarves, available at lovequotesnyc.com, come in an array of gorgeous colors and can be worn around your neck, as a shawl, or on the beach as a cover up. They also happen to be the perfect size and are amazingly soft. I want them in every color! Plus, 10% of the proceeds are donated to international children’s charities. Each scarf comes with its own special quote, making it a truly heartfelt gift. P.S. Did you see Sofia Vergara in the new Pepsi commercial sporting the Regatta blue one as a pareo?
Buy Now – $75
Goodbye granola, hello glamour. Just because you shop eco-friendly doesn’t mean you need to compromise on style! Who says that environmentally conscious products need to be made of hemp and colored in straw tones? Today, it is just as easy to be eco-conscious as eco-chic. In honor of Earth Day this month, here are my top picks for fun and fabulous, environmentally friendly products.
Josie Maran Make-Up: I love this earth-friendly beauty line because it features pure and gentle cosmeticsin an abundant array of colors and textures. Products are made with Moroccan Argan oil, an organic ingredient known to help and prevent dehydration, inflammation, and hyper-pigmentation. The oil is rich in Vitamin E and essential fatty acids, which have anti-aging properties. Formulas are packed with botanical ingredients, and products are packaged with recyclable and biodegradable materials.
1. Josie Maran Beautiful Lips Collection: This collection has a $98 value and includes Josie’s best selling Magic Marker Lip & Cheek Stains and Natural Volume Lip Glosses. The stains come in Waltz (soft berry rose) and Quickstep (soft mauvy rose), and the glosses come in Optimism (sheer shimmering golden beige), Precious (sheer petal pink), and Voluptuous (sheer plum wine). For an added bonus, a deluxe sample size of Argan Oil is included the collection.
Buy Now, $42
2. Josie Maran Argan Eye Love You Too Palette: This limited-edition palette contains eight Argan-infused eye shadows in natural tones complementary to anyone’s eye color and complexion. The palette also comes with an easy-to-follow, how-to card from Josie herself, featuring step-by-step instructions on how to create the ideal day and night looks.
Buy Now, $42
3. Fashionation’s Foldable Speakers: These foldable speakers pump up the glam with their great sounds and fun designs. My daughter has her eye on the leopard print! Made from recycled materials, these speakers require no batteries and fold flat for convenient storage and portability. They are also quite affordable and universally compatible with iPods, MP3 players, laptops and more. LOVE it!
Buy now, $14.99
4. Hanky Panky Earth Day Cami & Boyshort: Green is the new black when it comes to this sexy and comfortable lingerie. The cami and boyshort are super soft and made with organically grown cotton jersey. Adorned with cotton lace and rosettes, these pieces are as adorable as they are environmentally friendly. The design, color and feel of the fabric make these fab pieces a perfect addition to your lingerie closet. They will definitely be added to mine!
Buy Now – Cami $39
5. Aveda Light the Way Candle: Made from 100% naturally derived soy wax and infused with organic lavender, the Aveda limited-edition candle is more than just another green product that smells great—it’s charitable as well. 100% of the proceeds go to Global Greengrants, a group that funds projects to help protect water rights and access around the world.
Buy Now, $12
6. Recycled Auto Glass- Wine Glasses: What better way to drink wine than from a stemless glass made from unique yet wonderfully worn automotive glass? The design is modern and chic, and each glass is a one-of-a-kind in its own way with air bubbles and varying thicknesses and textures. They are sturdy and strong with a slight green hue—just like that of a windshield. These glasses are so cool!
Buy Now, $28
7. Kiss My Face Peace Soap: I love this all natural and all purpose Castile Soap that comes in various scents like grassy mint and lavender mandarin! It cleaned my countertops, removed a stain from a chair, and was great in the shower. It is also available as a foaming pump soap (my kids are big fans). Green and charitable too, 10% of the profits are donated to Seeds of Peace to benefit young people in regions of conflict.
Buy Now, $15.99
8. Cygalle Sea Pearl Elixir: A new favorite of mine, this all natural moisturizing serum has a lovely light texture and mild scent. Made of seaweed, coconut extract, cucumber,and palm tree origin, the Cygalle Healing Spa Sea Pearl Elixir is the perfect warm weather moisturizer because of its non-oily base. The moisturizer gives your skin a gorgeous glow and enhances its elasticity. It also boasts a slew of B vitamins, which help prevent premature aging. It can also be used under your existing moisturizer for added benefits. Fans of Cygalle’s Healing Spa products include Kate Hudson, Helena Christensen, David Blaine and Rosario Dawson.
Buy Now $25 (2oz) and $75 (8oz)