Now that the weather is getting nicer and we are showing more skin, it’s time to get that fresh natural sun-kissed glow on…safely! Fiona Locke is one of the most sought after “skin finishing” experts in the entertainment industry. She works her magic on celebrities including Evangeline Lilly, Olivia Wilde and Katherine McPhee as well as the stars of E! News and American Idol. Fiona also creates glowing skin for editorial photo shoots for magazines like Allure, Self and Cosmopolitan. Fiona is a master at creating a natural looking golden glow and is sharing her insider tanning tips with us!
MM: What exactly is skin finishing and how is it different from spray tanning?
Fiona: Skin Finishing is applying a custom color and body contour to any skin tone or body type. It is much more detailed and specific and less generic than a spray tan booth.
MM: You have so many finishing options, ethereal, sun kissed, contouring and bronzing to name a few- what kind of look do most of your clients want?
Fiona: The finishing options cater to each client’s needs depending on the event they are attending and the wardrobe they will be wearing. It can vary greatly. Many of my Red Carpet clients request a little body contour to define their muscle tone in photos.
MM: What is the biggest mistake you see when it comes to tanning?
Fiona: The biggest mistake I see is rushing your application of your self tanner and not blending properly. St. Tropez Mousse and Mitt gives a perfectly even coverage and because there is a guide color in the mousse you can see where you are applying your self tanner. A missed spot will always look uneven. Also, having the mitt avoids the tell tale sign of tanning… “the stained palms.”
Research has shown that a headache, backache, indigestion, fluid retention, cravings, depression, or fatigue can be alleviated through diet and exercise. In addition to that, while we have no control over getting older, we can slow down the aging process, with diet and exercise as well.
What should we eat?
- Women who eat a diet high in omega-3 fatty acids cut their risk for heart disease as well as reduce their risk for macular degeneration. During pregnancy, 3 servings/week may cut the risk for preterm birth.
- Safflower oil is high in omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (linoleic acid). It has a high smoke point and low saturated fat content. It has been found to improve blood sugar and lipids, decrease inflammation, lowers blood pressure as well as the risk for heart disease.
- Supplements…they can’t replace a healthy diet!
- Studies have suggested that eating a small handful of nuts a day, improves blood lipid levels, as well as glucose and insulin levels.
- A diet high in dietary antioxidants such as those found in blueberries, broccoli, and small amounts of dark chocolate and even coffee, lower the risk of heart disease and stroke. Eat your anthocyanins! Better known as the blue and red pigments in colorful fruits and vegetables.
What should we do for exercise?
- First and foremost, get your body moving! Find something that you love to do!
- Weight bearing/resistance exercises such as yoga and dumbbell exercises preserve bone density, improve your balance, and strength.
On your path to reach your wellness goals, remember that we are always our own worst enemies. Celebrate the fact that you are taking the necessary steps to improve your health and your life! Find the time to do things you enjoy and that bring you a sense of calm and serenity. Stress and lack of sleep will wreak havoc on your body as well as your soul.
|Lana Levy is a nutritionist specializing in taking a holistic approach towards healthy eating, not only to help her clients achieve their goals, but also help them maintain a healthy lifestyle. Lana has also incorporated her passion for yoga into her services for her clients, as a way to stay fit, and create a balance between the body and the mind. Lana received her degree from Columbia University, where she completed her Masters in Nutrition and Exercise Physiology. In 2010, Ms. Levy became a Registered Yoga Teacher through an intensive training with YogaWorks here in New York City. In 2011 she completed a Prenatal Yoga Certification.With a background in nutrition and yoga, Lana works with her clients to create customized nutrition plans and yoga sequences that are specifically tailored to their needs. Whether the goal is weight loss, healthy weight gain, energy improvement, pre and post natal health, relief from various gastrointestinal ailments, Just For Today LLC (www.justfortodaynyc.com) can provide you with tools to make a change for life!|
Images Courtesy of www.dietsinreview.com