If “hyaluronic acid” sounds to you like the last thing you’d want to put on your face and “ceramide” makes you think of pottery, you’re not alone. Unless you studied product labels as your foreign language of choice, it can be tough to figure out what all those science-y terms mean. Below, we break it down to the basics, highlighting five common skin care ingredients you’re bound to run into — and exactly what they do.
What it is: A naturally occurring substance in the human body that regulates cell renewal, lubricates connective tissue and maintains skin’s moisture and elasticity.
What it does: When used topically, hyaluronic acid creates a moisture barrier on the skin, helping to make it smoother and softer. This ingredient is able to hold up to 1000x its own weight in water, thus producing amazing benefits for dehydrated skin. As an injectable, hyaluronic acid works as a plumper, filling wrinkles and fine lines. Because it is already naturally present in our bodies, hyaluronic acid is a safer alternative to synthetic ingredients and is less likely to be rejected as a foreign substance. The molecule, however, is quite large and can’t fully penetrate the outer layers of the skin to fill wrinkles when used topically.
Try: Peter Thomas Roth VIZ-1000 75% Hyaluronic Acid Complex ($65, sephora.com); Caudalíe Vinexpert Broad Spectrum SPF 15 Radiance Day Cream ($75, us.caudalie.com), Juvederm (find a doctor at juvederm.com).
Andrea Pomerantz Lustig is a veteran beauty editor with over two decades of industry experience. She spent nine years as Beauty and Fitness Director at Cosmopolitan and was editor-in-chief at sephora.com. Now her beauty tips, advice and solutions appear regularly in Glamour magazine. Andrea also carries a little black book teeming with of-the-moment industry contacts and celebrity stylists, so it’s no surprise that she’s known around Glamour as the resident ‘beauty sleuth’. In her new tome, How to Look Expensive, Andrea shares her secrets on looking glamorous with an everywoman’s budget. As we caught up with Andrea on her latest project, she dished about her personal style, favorite beauty picks and tips on how fashion-forward women can make the most of every dollar.
Summer is our favorite time of the year filled with outdoor cocktail parties, relaxing days at the beach and backyard BBQs. We want our hair to look its best during this season, but that can be a challenge. Between the sun, humidity and dips in the pool, how is our hair supposed to hold up? No worries…we have you covered! Here are the hottest trends for tresses and the perfect products to help you nix bad hair days and get your locks into tip top shape.
Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray, $24
This salt spray creates tousled, messy waves that are low maintenance and so boho chic. The summer is the perfect time to try this sexy look. Spray and scrunch into damp hair and let air dry. Exactly what we want for the summer…simple and easy. And, it feels great to skip the blow dryer all together!
Fun Colored Hair
Sultra Hair Mascara, $24
Looking to change up your look this summer? This Hair Mascara is a great way to add a pop of color to any outfit. It comes in four different electrifying colors like ‘Ultra Pink’ and ‘Royal Velvet’ and it is safe for any hair type and color. Simply run the mascara-like wand through the desired strands of hair and after a few minutes you’ll have colored tresses that last up to two days and washes out after one shampoo.
Fish Tail Braid
A fishtail braid worn to the side is the perfect hair style to bring you from days at the office to nights on the town. It’s easy to do and is super stylish. Accent with a funky hair tie or bow and you are good to go. Watch our how-to video to get this hot look!
The top knot is our favorite go-to hairstyle for the summer. It looks classic chic and is the ultimate no-fuss style. Whether you like a tight and perfect prima-ballerina knot or you prefer a messier rocker one, there is a look that will suit your own personal style. Tip: asos.com sells a hair donut which can be placed in the hair to achieve the perfect round “donut shape.” It comes in both small and large sizes. Or, if you are DIY-er, you can create your own hair donut. Simply take an old tube sock and cut off the toe, creating a cylinder shape. Roll the top of the sock down until you reach the end, leaving you with a perfectly round donut.
Nexxus Frizz Defy Oil Shine Treatment, $14.99
Nexxus makes an amazing oil shine spray that works miracles when fighting the frizzies (smells great too). Infused with Moroccan Oil, this spray gets your hair looking smooth and shiny without leaving any residue. It’s the perfect summer go-to product.
Living Proof Restore Revitalizing Spray with Heat & UV Defense, $26
Use this Revitalizing Spray to help mend your damaged locks. It defends against UV damage and it’s safe for color treated hair. Spray this on before you host your next backyard BBQ and you’ll have protection all day. Love that it’s light weight and it polishes even the driest of hair.
When you’re getting ready for a big night or just want to look a little extra special, sparkly baubles make a great addition to your look, but have you thought about adding a little glimmer to your beauty routine? There are plenty of products to get your face and body glowing. Here’s our list of favorites:
NYX Roll On Shimmer in Platinum, $4.49
This easy to use roller is a great multi-tasker. You can use it to add some sheer shimmer to your eyes, cheeks or décolletage.
Undo winter’s damage with our fun and flirty spring beauty picks.
Free Your Mane Restorative Hair Oil, $24.95, Available at Ricky’s
Help restore tired, brittle ends with this light-weight paraben-free treatment. Made with Brilliant Baobab Oil, Argan Oil, Pomegranate Seed Oil, and Sweet Almond Oil, Free Your Mane revives and hydrates all hair types (even color-treated, chemical-treated and extensions). If you’re addicted to your flat-iron, Free Your Mane also protects against heat-damage, leaving hair soft and shinny.
Tip: Use Free You Mane on your ends at night then wash out in the morning. Ends will instantly feel softer and healthier.
Admit it…have you ever purchased a product based on its packaging? No need to raise your hand on this one. Brands KNOW how quick we are to judge a book by its cover, which is why they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on designing beautiful packaging just to get us to spend our pretty pennies. Guess what though? It usually works! I’ve always been a sucker for gorgeous packaging when it comes to cosmetics. Check out some of my favorites of this season.
Because of my allergies, I’m not a girl who can wear a ton of fragrances, but the first time I saw the Jimmy Choo Fragrance Collection for Women ($70, on macys.com), I just had to have it. The bottle looks like a piece of art, right? Considering this is Jimmy’s first parfum, it’s safe to say he knocked it out of the park. This fragrance combines citrusy-notes with sweet notes, and the end result is a luxurious fragrance for beauties who love to smell heavenly. Oh, and yes…the bottle is an absolute masterpiece.
-Brittany Thomas for ClumpsOfMascara.com
Getting manis and pedis at the salon can get expensive, so it’s a bummer when the polish chips! I’ve found a few ways to prettify your nails at home, all in cool colors and with long-lasting formulas.
Nails Inc. brings you Crystal Colour ($19.50 on Sephora.com), a reliable, easy, go-with-everything nail polish collection. The line-up includes an assortment of trendy colors, all packaged in chic bottles with bedazzled tops and glamorous gift boxes.
Adding glittery nail polish on top of a manicure or alone is a surefire way for your nails to take the spotlight. “Techno” ($7 on Ulta.com) by China Glaze is a part of the Electro Pop Collection that has a built-in hardener so your nails will get proper treatment and long-lasting shimmer.
You may have all of your major holiday shopping done by now, but did you remember your last minute little things? Stocking stuffers should be small, not-too-expensive, and of course stylish! Here are our picks:
Hanky Panky Corset Box Thongs, BUY NOW, $49
Sexy undies in sexy packaging means you won’t even have to do the wrapping. Celebrity favorite Hanky Panky’s thongs are pretty, colorful and ultra comfortable.
Urban Decay Midnight Emergency Kit, BUY NOW, $39
This palette is an ideal purse size and has your best neutral shades — great for day but sparkly enough for night!
Jewelryarama Gold Teardrop Earrings, BUY NOW, $36
Tiny baubles make a great stocking stuffer and by including costume jewelry you can accessorize without breaking the bank. These are dainty, elegant and come in amazing colors.
Fauvette Bird Speaker, Buy NOW, $34.99-$39.99
Tech with a stylish twist: these kitschy little wireless speakers allow you to play your music, portably.
Jouer Mini Glisten Up Lip Gloss Collection, BUY NOW, $25
These little lip glosses come in fabulous holiday shades and are packaged in a cute box so you won’t even have to wrap!
Ahava Limited Edition Salt Wand Trio, BUY NOW, BUY NOW, $21.95
For the girl who likes to pamper herself, AHAVA has packaged up three of their fantastic bath salts just for the holidays with festive scents like Sugared Fig and Candied Date.
Paddywax Winter Wonderland Candle, BUY NOW, $14
A candle makes a great stocking stuffer for anyone and Paddywax’s beautiful small candle tins are the perfect size. They smell just as incredible as they look.
Sephora Brush Wand, BUY NOW, $10
Too many brushes in your make-up bag? This cool magnetic gadget has all of your eye make up tools in one and at $10, you can afford to pick one up for yourself too (we know we want to!).
With temperatures fall-ing, we’ll soon be tempted to avoid all outdoor activities and spend our downtime hibernating under the covers. So, what better time than now to pamper and prep ourselves for the harsher temps ahead? Drown out a case of the Mondays with any or all of these six picks. -Samantha Sutton Read all the customer reviews on mark’s Calm Yourself Hydrating Mask ($9) and you’ll definitely feel the urge to test it for yourself. After using a cleanser, apply the mask to fix dry skin and protect it from future harsh skin-ditions. Bubbles plus a long, warm bath will help you escape the cold temps! Aveeno Stress Relief Foaming Bath ($5.99 on Target.com) will moisturize your skin as you soak, and its calming lavender scent promises to erase any worries. We love The Body Shop! Their products love us back too, especially their Peppermint Cooling Pumice Foot Scrub ($14). The fresh smell combined with miracle-working bits of pumice stone will leave your puppies feeling smoother than ever! One of the hottest nail trends this year is crackle polish, and I personally love it because it’s so low-may (those chips are way less noticeable). Sephora by OPI’s Blasted Nail Colour ($9.50) comes in a variety of different cracked shades that are perfect for an at-home mani/pedi. Celebs swear by Kiehl’s Crème de Corps Soy Milk & Honey Whipped Body Butter ($35) and it’s no wonder! It deeply hydrates dry skin for 24 hours but has a super-light feel—and a great smell! Nothing is more relaxing than chilling in comfy clothes! Stay warm and snug in this Sweater Robe ($44.50) from Victoria’s Secret, paired with these cute Old Navy Sweater Knit Booties(SALE: $19.50) which are perf for a case of cold feet. GIRL TALK TIME: What do you think of these products? What beauty makes you feel like you’re at a spa?
Images courtesy of Sheckys.com
Sheckys.com lets you share your man’s mystifying moments, get easy tips for the healthiest, happiest and most fashionable you, discover our Girls Night Out events and more, all while earning OMG Points toward free goodies!
It’s back-and better than ever. In it’s 3rd-year, Fashion’s Night Out, where thousands of retailers across the country stay open late for the ultimate shopping party of food, drinks-and of course to celebrate fashion. This all-out extravaganza will hit New York City on Thursday, September 8th, a prelude to New York Fashion Week (September 9th, 10th & 12th).
With debuts from J Brand and Chanel, to celebrity appearances from Heidi Klum, Rachel Zoe, Joss Stone, Ne-Yo, The Real Housewives of New York; and to top-it-off, Vera Wang in an ice cream truck, this is one star-studded event you won’t want to miss.
Here are the events you’ll want to check out in New York, LA, Miami, Dallas, and Chicago:
Topshop, 478 Broadway between Broadway and Broome
- Teamed up with Vogue Magazine, top models Chanel Iman, Coco Rocha, Karlie Kloss, Abbey Lee, and Charlotte Free will be giving out styling tips for the upcoming season; they will also select their favorite items from Topshop’s AW11 collection, debuting on FNO
- Customers who purchase one of the “favorite items” get the chance to be photographed with their favorite model; pictures will be posted on Tophop’s Facebook page
- Shoppers who spend over $100 will receive a notebook with a print from the AW11 collection on the cover; choose from one of four covers
Bergdorf Goodman, 754 5th Avenue at 58th Street
- Appearance by Michael Kors; Performance by Audrianna Cole
- Oscar de la Renta will be signing his limited edition “Face of Fashion” Fall kaleidoscope palette by Le Métier de Beauté
- Badgley Mischka, Joseph Altuzarra, Lela Rose, and Reem Acra will walk the runway with their furry friends in the Designer Dog Show
Diane von Furstenberg, 874 Washington Street at 14th Street
- Performance by Grammy Winner Estelle; performance features songs off her new album, All of Me
- Sample DVF’s new fragrance, Diane, before it hits stores in October. Enter to win an autographed bottle from Diane herself
Tory Burch, 797 Madison Avenue between 67th & 68th Streets
- Spend $250 or more and get styled by Vogue Editor Jessica Sailer and photographed by Fashion photographer Beau Grealy; chance to be featured on the Tory Blog
- Limited edition tote will be given to everyone who makes a $100 purchase
DKNY, 655 Madison Avenue between 60th & 61st Streets; 420 West Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Shoppers who spend $250 or more will receive a limited edition tote with a DVD of documentary “Bill Cunningham New York”
- Complimentary popcorn and beer provided by Brooklyn Lager
- Complimentary Blind Barber haircuts
Michael Kors, 610 Fifth Avenue at Rockefeller Center
- Appearances by the Rockettes
- Champagne and live music by a guest DJ
- Chance to win denim totes signed by Michael himself
Sephora, 597 5th Avenue between 48th & 49th Streets
- Get all your beauty questions answered by a panel of experts: Vogue Beauty Director Sarah Brown, celebrity hairstylist Oscar Blandi, Founder and Creative Director of Urban Decay Cosmetics Wende Zomnir, and skincare guru Kate Somerville
Sephora Soho, 555 Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Be one of the first 50 customers here and receive a free makeover and a “Stila-Girl” inspired sketch of yourself
Sephora Columbus Circle, 10 Columbus Circle between West 58th & 60th Streets
- Celebrity skin experts Sophie Evans and Fiona Locke of St. Tropez share all their beauty secrets
- Complimentary spray tanning
- Product giveaways- all customers will receive a free gift with a St. Tropez purchase; change to a prize valued at $200
Lord & Taylor, 424 5th Avenue between East 38th and 39th
- Wear This, Not That author Suze Yalof Schwartz answers all your style questions. Enter to win a $1,000 shopping spree
- Singer/Songwriter Solange Knowles will be DJing. Meet her and receive a photo
- Meet Ivanka Trump and receive a photo
Macy’s Herald Square, 151 West 34th Street at 6th Avenue
- Gucci Guilty Dance Party with Samantha Ronson
- Appearances by Tommy Hilfiger, Coco Rocha, America’s Next Top Model Judge J. Alexander, Bobbi Brown, Anna Dello Russo, Karolina Kurkova, and Rachel Roy
- Live musical performance by Joss Stone
Saks Fifth Avenue, 611 5th Avenue at 49th Street
- The Chronicles of Narnia, Tilda Swinton will be making an appearance with Pringle of Scotland designer Alistair Carr and Central Saint Martins’ Louise Wilson
- Hat signing and performance by Ne-Yo
- Win a $10,00 Fall Shopping Spree from StyleList, visit: stylelist.com/saks/
Victoria’s Secret, 591 Broadway between Houston and Prince Streets
- Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Erin Heatherton, and Lily Aldridge will be offering customer makeovers, photo opportunities and a fragrance preview
L’Occitane, 48 9th Avenue at 14th Street; 146 Spring Street between Wooster St & Broadway
- Complimentary chilled rosé
- Complimentary hand massages
- Riviera-inspired tote bag filled with the brands most essential beauty goodies
QVC, 428 Broadway between Howard & Canal Streets
- Meet QVC Designers as they discuss fashion, beauty and trends
- Try on the latest fashion and accessories in the Rowenta fashion closet
- Heidi Klum is unveiling her new jewelry line for QVC, WILDLIFE by Heidi Klum
Bloomingdale’s, Soho, 504 Broadway between Spring and Broome
- Appearance by Rachel Zoe; her recent clothing line The Rachel Zoe Collection is available for purchase
- Appearance by Erin Wasson and her capsule collection for Zadig & Voltaire
- A truth or lie game told to shoppers; hosted by Bono’s Wife, Ali Hewson
Helmut Lang, 93 Mercer Street at Spring Street
- Live performance by indie band Best Coast
- Food by Luke’s Lobster; Drinks by Death + Company
- An interactive digital photo booth will livestream images from store onto helmutlang.com
La Maison du Chocolat, 30 Rockefeller Plaza at 49th Street; 1018 Madison Avenue between 78th & 79th Streets
- La Maison du Chocolat will be hosting a chocolate ganache tasting
New York & Company, 715 Lexington Avenue between 57th St & 58th Streets
- Shop, eat and take pictures with the cast of The Real Housewives of New York City, Countess LuAnn de Lesseps, Kelly Killoren Bensimon and Ramona Singer
- Music by DJ Steve Powers
Patricia Field, 302 Bowery between E Houston & Bleecker Streets
- Meet designers V.O.N., Seville Michelle Anastos, Phillipe & David Blond, and Zana Bayne
- Receive special gift bags and be included a prize raffle
- Vodka cocktails will be served; party goes until 1am
Rebecca Taylor, 34 Gansevoort Street between Hudson & Greenwich Streets
- Jams provided by Brooklyn band AVAN LAVA along with DJ performances by Narcisse & Fischerspooner’s Ian Pai & Le Chev
- Enter the “Who Wore it Best” contest from 7pm-9pm to win 2 tickets to a Rebecca Taylor Fashion Show
- Blooming Cake Pops and Svedka vodka cocktails will be served
Scott J Aveda. Salonspa, 242 East 86th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenue
- Free Hair Care Consultations, Makeup Touch Ups, and Hand Treatments
- Be one of the first 50 guest and receive an AVEDA Product Gift and a voucher for a complimentary hair treatment with your next service
Vera Wang, 158 Mercer Street between Prince & W Houston Streets
- Vera Wang and her team will peruse NYC in their customized Mister Softee truck; giving out free ice cream
- Shopping incentives and giveaways available
Worth & Worth, 45 West 57th Street between Fifth & Avenue of the Americas
- Great Gatsby themed Gala including build your own hat event, celebrity hat auction, cocktails, live music, photo booth, and more
Madison Avenue Spy Fashion Hunt, shops between 57th & 86th Streets
- The ultimate scavenger hunt-shoppers are invited to attend and tweet pictures from a list of events happening at retailers on Madison Avenue (between 57th-86th streets). Shoppers who complete three tasks will be directed to a secret Madison Avenue location where they will be awarded with prizes and champagne
- Chance to win from leading brands like Betsey Johnson, Juicy Couture, La Perla; for officials rules, visit madisonavenuespy.com
Manolo Blahnik, 31 West 54th New York NY 10019
- Sarah Jessica Parker and Manolo Blahnik USA invite you to celebrate Fashion’s Night Out on September 8th at their boutique where they will unveil a special shoe Sarah Jessica teamed up with Manolo in designing.
- In toasting this very special collaboration a van will be tooting around the city with Manolo’s favorite treat—milkshakes.
- Milkshakes and Manolos, what could be better! A portion of the proceeds will go to The Fund for Public Schools.
The Beverly Center, 8500 Beverly Boulevard
- This star-studded Luxury Fashion Show hosted by Nicole Richie will feature the trendiest fall looks. Expect to see an abundance of A-listers, press, and fashion editors
Alice + Olivia, 134 South Robertson Boulevard
- This carnival-inspired theme block party makes you feel like a kid again with sno-cones, cotton candy, games and raffles
ADBD Space (Paul Frank Pop-Up Shop), 8246 Beverly Blvd
- This retro-inspired disco themed party hosted by Paul Frank and Red Light PR is complete with a pop-up shop, henna tattoos, and a custom photobooth. Taryn Manning will be Djing the event. Don’t miss out on the fully stocked candy bar and drinks all night
City Style Collective, 695 North Miami Avenue
- 30 of Miami’s hottest acts from fashion and beauty will be participating in this pop-up shop event. This jammed-packed event will feature mini-make-overs, hair touch-ups, photo shoots, dancing, live entertainment, and music provided by DJ Rob Di Nero
Galleria Dallas, 13350 Dallas Parkway Suite 3080
- Participating retailers here are offering a ton of deals and freebies: Prosecco and Italian specialty cocktails at Gucci, photo sessions at Saks Fifth Avenue taken by an Estée Lauder photography artist; free wristlet with your purchase of $150 at Dooney & Bourke
Oak Street Shops, Oak Street between Michigan Avenue and State Street
- Drink and meet the designers of Henry & Belle Denim Company all while receiving a 20% discount; Ashley Zisook, owner of Sofia and her stylists will be offering champagne, discounts and giveaways. First 500 guests receive a FNO tote bag. All shoppers will receive one raffle ticket with every purchase at a participating store
Shopping for a cause: NYC AIDS Fund is the official charity of Fashion Night Out where 40% of proceeds from sales of the limited edition FNO t-shirts ($25), long-sleeved shirts ($30), caps ($15), and totes ($50) will be donated. The collection is available at various retailers and major department stores and online at fashionsnightout.com/collection
Barneys will be donating 10% of its FNO sales at the Barneys Madison Avenue store (and 10% of Barneys.com sales) to the National September 11th Memorial & Museum.