New York Fashion Week is under way, and as usual, it is a strong showing for some of fashion’s most talented and creative minds. Fashion and beauty mavens snapped photos in hopes of capturing a glimpse of what will be the upcoming Spring season’s dominant trends, with the latest looks proving to be quite diverse: from “no makeup” makeup to bold eye shadow. Setting the stage for what’s to come, Gail Sagel, makeup expert, President and CEO of FACES Beautiful and creator of the Brush-On Liquid Mineral Makeup, shows your readers how to make next season’s trends work for them now.
Strong, bold brows aren’t going anywhere. A longtime proponent of a more dramatic eyebrow, the fashion industry stands firm that the looks of thin, washed-out brows are behind us. “There are few things that can transform a face as much as the perfect eyebrow. With this particular look, you’ll need to be careful, as it can be too dramatic for everyday wear if it’s not done correctly,” says Gail.
· To achieve this look, go a few shades darker than your original eyebrow color. For example, if you’re blonde, don’t go for a black brow. Stick with the same color family.
· Instead of using an eyeliner pencil, which is tempting because of its more manageable size, use a shadow that is almost matches the shade of your eyebrow color. Create a line at the base of the eyebrow and blend upward, using an eyebrow brush.
· Keep other makeup minimal: make your brows the star of the show.
Whether it’s a strong, orange-tinted color or a deep, cranberry hue, red lipstick made a big splash at Fashion Week. It’s clear that this classic look hasn’t gone out of style. However, Gail notes: “It’s important to choose the right shade of red for you, and there is one for everyone! Take your time testing out your favorite shades and settle on one go-to product for the most flattering results.”
· For cool skin tones, opt for a bluish red, and warm skin tones should stick to orange or yellow-based reds. Don’t be afraid to blend: sometimes, the best color is the result of a perfect mix.
· To keep the color in place, apply lip liner around the outer rim of your lips.
· Don’t overdo the rest of your makeup. Bold lips call for all of the attention.
This is a delicate trend. Although it was all over the runways, it can look like a paint-by-number project gone awry if you don’t take the right approach. But who can resist this vibrant, fun look? Gail gives her input: “The most important thing to remember with this trend is to be careful, and to choose colors that work with your skin tone. Reserve this look for night, and have fun with it!”
· Applying dramatic colors is just like applying any other shade, except that you need to be more mindful of layering and blending. Keep in mind, you want to draw attention to your eye, but you don’t want to drown out the rest of your features.
· Choose matte shadow as opposed to metallic. With an already intense look, shimmer isn’t necessary.
· Use black eyeliner and mascara to contrast the brightness of the hue. Keep other makeup to a minimum.
“No Makeup” Makeup
With the rest of Fashion Week’s trends being all about the bold and the bright, one trend emerged as the subtle, easy-to-wear look. However, natural looking makeup can actually be one of the most difficult trends to pull off. Gail suggests, “Start by creating a flawless look for your skin without applying too much makeup. Remember, you want to keep it natural, so don’t clean out your makeup bag: a solid, reliable foundation and a concealer to touch-up are all that’s needed for the base.”
· Choose a cream blush that reflects the closest shade to your natural flush color. Cream-based blushes are easier to blend.
· Define your features – this is the most important part of achieving this look. Shade eyelids with a soft, natural tone that is either the same hue or a shade darker than your natural skin tone. If you’re a girl who loves her shimmer, a little goes a long way here. To make eyes pop, brush on a coat or two of mascara.
· For lips, stick to your natural shade and go with a moisturizing, lightweight tint. This is a look that can be worn anytime, so keep it in your repertoire as a go-to option! For more information on makeup application and beauty trends, visit www.FacesBeautiful.com.
Image Cutesy: Gail Sagel
Bat Your Lashes Down The Runway
Fashion Week is full of the kind of energy that makes you stop and think, the kind that excites you and elevates your tastes to another level. It brings out the inner hunger that we all share to embody our personalities through fashion. It follows, then, that when models grace the runway, every little bit of their look is dissected, from lip color to heel height. This season, look to their lashes to highlight emerging trends in the beauty sphere that are sometimes more artistic than practical. Here, founder of EnvyDerm Eyelash Growth Serum, Volume Mascara, and Intense Liquid Eyeliner, Nadia Smith, shares her take on which lash trends to look out for, and how to get the look at home.
Long, Thick Lashes
Long, luxurious lashes are a staple in the fashion world. Although they might not be as unique as the other trends that have recently popped up, they are a classic staple in the realm of beauty.
Nadia says, “This season, as clean lines and defined cuts follow in the minimalist direction, some designers will likely follow this theme and maintain natural lash looks. With products that work while you use them, like EnvyDerm, you can achieve this look simply by applying your makeup.”
This is a great trend to try out at home, and you’ll have your friends asking, “Are those real?”
Tips for Application:
· Apply EnvyDerm Lash Growth Mascara to clean, dry lashes.
· Swirl while applying for maximum impact. Allow one minute between layers.
· Apply EnvyDerm Intense Liquid Eyeliner to clean, dry lash line.
· Wipe excess off brush and draw a line along the upper lid, beginning from inner corner.
· If you want to grow longer lashes without using the makeup products, try EnvyDerm Eyelash Growth Serum. Apply to lash line the same way as you would liquid eyeliner.
· Extra tip: also works on eyebrows!
Feather False Eyelashes
Beware: this trend is tough on the eyelids. Feather eyelashes can be heavy, but if you’re going for an over-the-top look, you can guarantee that these will be a showstopper. “Feather eyelashes are the kind of trend that we see emerge during Fashion Week because they are unique and fun. Fashion designers are artists, and with art comes the drama of the avant-garde.” Feathers were a big hit in the hair for the last season, so look for this to evolve into lashes for the fall.
Tips for Application:
· Curl lashes with eyelash curler.
· Adjust the width to fit your specific eye shape.
· Apply adhesive and allow about 10-15 seconds for drying.
· Place false lashes on upper lash line, working from the outside in.
Paper False Eyelashes
Hoping to upstage all other lash trends this season, a new look is here: paper eyelashes. Following the tradition of Chinese paper cutting, these lashes take falsies to a new level. Pioneered by company PaperSelf, the lashes feature animals such as horses, butterflies, and peacocks. “Paper lashes have just hit the beauty market, and have really changed the idea of false lashes. These designs are themselves works of art, and have surfaced just in time for the runways,” says Nadia.
Tips for Application:
· Choose your size: small (for corners) or full (for entire lash).
· Apply much like false lashes, but remember to test them out beforehand.
· Make sure to cut and alter lashes to fit the length and width of your eye shape.
· Extremely careful application is required due to the delicate nature of the paper.
For more information on eyelash trends and products, visit Envy Derm.