New York Fashion Week is now behind us and the verdict is in: whether you’re into the 60’s, 90’s, or any era in between, there is an inspiration point for you in many of Spring 2013’s collections. From sporty shows like rag & bone and Milly to cheeky collections nodding to Helmut Newton, Spring 2013 is filled with some fun trends.
We love trying all the latest beauty products out there and sharing our finds with you. There are tons of new products for smooth hair, soft skin or long lashes. Which should you try? Read on for our faves.
Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer, $42
When Rachel Zoe claims to be a fan, you know its got to be “MAJOR!” This tinted moisturizer is perfect for summer as it provides light, skin illuminating coverage as well as sun protection. And coming from one of our favorite makeup brands, it’s no surprise the shades are gorgeous.
Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation, $42
Illamasqua is known for their highly-pigmeneted, dramatic makeup, but this foundation is natural and beautiful. It goes on so smooth and has staying power. Plus you can layer and blend for the right amount of coverage for you. It isn’t cakey at all and has a mild fragrance.
Simply Vera Vera Wang Cosmetics Transforming Shadow Duo, $19.50
Vera Wang’s line for Kohl’s has now expanded into cosmetics. The formulas and packaging are so luxe you won’t believe they aren’t from a high end department store. The eye shadow duos are the perfect size to keep in your purse and come in an array of shimmer-y and matte shades that go on smooth and don’t crease.
Kiehl’s Activated Sun Protector Sunscreen for Body SPF 50, $23
Kiehl’s new sunscreen not only protects you from the sun but is also full of antioxidants and anti-aging ingredients such as goji berry, vitamin e and wheat. It’s perfect for sensitive skin, too!
Maybelline Volum’ Express The MegaPlush Mascara, $7.99
This new mascara’s gel mousse formula doesn’t flake and creates super long lashes that almost look fake. The unique flexor brush ensures lots of product gets on your lashes without clumping. Plus, you can’t go wrong with this drugstore price!
Nexxus Pro-Mend Split End Treatment Daily Shampoo, $9.50 and Split End Binding Daily Conditioner, $17
If you’re prone to split ends between cuts you’ve got to try Nexxus’ new shampoo and conditioner. Their pro-mend line is formulated to treat dry, damaged hair and bind split ends. The scent is addictive and keeps your hair smelling fresh between washes.
Eclos Anti-Aging Moisture Therapy Regenerative Cream, $24.99
We recently discovered Eclos’ line of plant stem cell products that is amazingly moisturizing with great anti-aging properties. The moisturizer smells fantastic and isn’t greasy…it will leave your skin feeling super soft!
It may be the night of film but the real winners (and losers) are chosen on the red carpet. Here’s a list of the best and worst looks of the night.
Best: Jessica Chastain
The Best Supporting Actress nominee strove away from her simple red carpet looks and donned a black and gold Alexander McQueen gown. We love the contrast between the tight bustier and flowing skirt. She completed her look with loose curls and Harry Winston yellow diamond jewels worth $2 million!
Best: Emma Stone
Emma proved just how smart she is. She chose a gown that closely resembled Nicole Kidman’s Balenciaga from the 2008 Oscars. It was a hit then and it is a hit now. She paired the scarlet Giambattista Valli dress with Louis Vuitton rubies.
We all love Target- and we love Target even more when there’s a designer clothing line released (Missoni, Isaac Mizrahi, and Vera Wang have all participated). On February 5th, Jason Wu will get to woo consumers with his lower-price collection of clothing and handbags, ranging from $19.99-$59.99, for Target. Wu’s star studded celebrity client list includes: Emma Stone, Michelle Obama, Natalie Portman, Reese Witherspoon, Kristen Stewart, among others.
Page Daily staffers picked their favorites from his line (trust us, it was a tough choice-everything looks super chic and sophisticated.
Melissa’s Pick: Trench Coat in Black, Also Available in Navy, $54.99. “I love the details and everyone could always use a great trench.”
Mary’s Pick: Poplin Dress in Navy, $39.99. “I love the classic shape (very 1960s Mod)- the perfect transition piece from day to night.”
Dani’s Picks: Long-Sleeved Sailor Sweater in Black/Cream Stripes, $32.99, Long-sleeved Sheer Blouse in White with Black Ribbon (Available at Target.com Only), $34.99, Cuffed Shorts in Navy (Available at Target.com Only), $26.99, Woven Mini Saddle Bag in Cream (available at Target.com only), $24.99. “It is so preppy and yet downtown chic all at the same time.”
Caitlin’s Pick: Flared Dress in Cream with Black Patent Belt, $59.99. “Very Breakfast at Tiffany’s.”
Tell Us: Will you be purchasing from the Jason Wu collection?
It’s back-and better than ever. In it’s 3rd-year, Fashion’s Night Out, where thousands of retailers across the country stay open late for the ultimate shopping party of food, drinks-and of course to celebrate fashion. This all-out extravaganza will hit New York City on Thursday, September 8th, a prelude to New York Fashion Week (September 9th, 10th & 12th).
With debuts from J Brand and Chanel, to celebrity appearances from Heidi Klum, Rachel Zoe, Joss Stone, Ne-Yo, The Real Housewives of New York; and to top-it-off, Vera Wang in an ice cream truck, this is one star-studded event you won’t want to miss.
Here are the events you’ll want to check out in New York, LA, Miami, Dallas, and Chicago:
Topshop, 478 Broadway between Broadway and Broome
- Teamed up with Vogue Magazine, top models Chanel Iman, Coco Rocha, Karlie Kloss, Abbey Lee, and Charlotte Free will be giving out styling tips for the upcoming season; they will also select their favorite items from Topshop’s AW11 collection, debuting on FNO
- Customers who purchase one of the “favorite items” get the chance to be photographed with their favorite model; pictures will be posted on Tophop’s Facebook page
- Shoppers who spend over $100 will receive a notebook with a print from the AW11 collection on the cover; choose from one of four covers
Bergdorf Goodman, 754 5th Avenue at 58th Street
- Appearance by Michael Kors; Performance by Audrianna Cole
- Oscar de la Renta will be signing his limited edition “Face of Fashion” Fall kaleidoscope palette by Le Métier de Beauté
- Badgley Mischka, Joseph Altuzarra, Lela Rose, and Reem Acra will walk the runway with their furry friends in the Designer Dog Show
Diane von Furstenberg, 874 Washington Street at 14th Street
- Performance by Grammy Winner Estelle; performance features songs off her new album, All of Me
- Sample DVF’s new fragrance, Diane, before it hits stores in October. Enter to win an autographed bottle from Diane herself
Tory Burch, 797 Madison Avenue between 67th & 68th Streets
- Spend $250 or more and get styled by Vogue Editor Jessica Sailer and photographed by Fashion photographer Beau Grealy; chance to be featured on the Tory Blog
- Limited edition tote will be given to everyone who makes a $100 purchase
DKNY, 655 Madison Avenue between 60th & 61st Streets; 420 West Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Shoppers who spend $250 or more will receive a limited edition tote with a DVD of documentary “Bill Cunningham New York”
- Complimentary popcorn and beer provided by Brooklyn Lager
- Complimentary Blind Barber haircuts
Michael Kors, 610 Fifth Avenue at Rockefeller Center
- Appearances by the Rockettes
- Champagne and live music by a guest DJ
- Chance to win denim totes signed by Michael himself
Sephora, 597 5th Avenue between 48th & 49th Streets
- Get all your beauty questions answered by a panel of experts: Vogue Beauty Director Sarah Brown, celebrity hairstylist Oscar Blandi, Founder and Creative Director of Urban Decay Cosmetics Wende Zomnir, and skincare guru Kate Somerville
Sephora Soho, 555 Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Be one of the first 50 customers here and receive a free makeover and a “Stila-Girl” inspired sketch of yourself
Sephora Columbus Circle, 10 Columbus Circle between West 58th & 60th Streets
- Celebrity skin experts Sophie Evans and Fiona Locke of St. Tropez share all their beauty secrets
- Complimentary spray tanning
- Product giveaways- all customers will receive a free gift with a St. Tropez purchase; change to a prize valued at $200
Lord & Taylor, 424 5th Avenue between East 38th and 39th
- Wear This, Not That author Suze Yalof Schwartz answers all your style questions. Enter to win a $1,000 shopping spree
- Singer/Songwriter Solange Knowles will be DJing. Meet her and receive a photo
- Meet Ivanka Trump and receive a photo
Macy’s Herald Square, 151 West 34th Street at 6th Avenue
- Gucci Guilty Dance Party with Samantha Ronson
- Appearances by Tommy Hilfiger, Coco Rocha, America’s Next Top Model Judge J. Alexander, Bobbi Brown, Anna Dello Russo, Karolina Kurkova, and Rachel Roy
- Live musical performance by Joss Stone
Saks Fifth Avenue, 611 5th Avenue at 49th Street
- The Chronicles of Narnia, Tilda Swinton will be making an appearance with Pringle of Scotland designer Alistair Carr and Central Saint Martins’ Louise Wilson
- Hat signing and performance by Ne-Yo
- Win a $10,00 Fall Shopping Spree from StyleList, visit: stylelist.com/saks/
Victoria’s Secret, 591 Broadway between Houston and Prince Streets
- Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Erin Heatherton, and Lily Aldridge will be offering customer makeovers, photo opportunities and a fragrance preview
L’Occitane, 48 9th Avenue at 14th Street; 146 Spring Street between Wooster St & Broadway
- Complimentary chilled rosé
- Complimentary hand massages
- Riviera-inspired tote bag filled with the brands most essential beauty goodies
QVC, 428 Broadway between Howard & Canal Streets
- Meet QVC Designers as they discuss fashion, beauty and trends
- Try on the latest fashion and accessories in the Rowenta fashion closet
- Heidi Klum is unveiling her new jewelry line for QVC, WILDLIFE by Heidi Klum
Bloomingdale’s, Soho, 504 Broadway between Spring and Broome
- Appearance by Rachel Zoe; her recent clothing line The Rachel Zoe Collection is available for purchase
- Appearance by Erin Wasson and her capsule collection for Zadig & Voltaire
- A truth or lie game told to shoppers; hosted by Bono’s Wife, Ali Hewson
Helmut Lang, 93 Mercer Street at Spring Street
- Live performance by indie band Best Coast
- Food by Luke’s Lobster; Drinks by Death + Company
- An interactive digital photo booth will livestream images from store onto helmutlang.com
La Maison du Chocolat, 30 Rockefeller Plaza at 49th Street; 1018 Madison Avenue between 78th & 79th Streets
- La Maison du Chocolat will be hosting a chocolate ganache tasting
New York & Company, 715 Lexington Avenue between 57th St & 58th Streets
- Shop, eat and take pictures with the cast of The Real Housewives of New York City, Countess LuAnn de Lesseps, Kelly Killoren Bensimon and Ramona Singer
- Music by DJ Steve Powers
Patricia Field, 302 Bowery between E Houston & Bleecker Streets
- Meet designers V.O.N., Seville Michelle Anastos, Phillipe & David Blond, and Zana Bayne
- Receive special gift bags and be included a prize raffle
- Vodka cocktails will be served; party goes until 1am
Rebecca Taylor, 34 Gansevoort Street between Hudson & Greenwich Streets
- Jams provided by Brooklyn band AVAN LAVA along with DJ performances by Narcisse & Fischerspooner’s Ian Pai & Le Chev
- Enter the “Who Wore it Best” contest from 7pm-9pm to win 2 tickets to a Rebecca Taylor Fashion Show
- Blooming Cake Pops and Svedka vodka cocktails will be served
Scott J Aveda. Salonspa, 242 East 86th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenue
- Free Hair Care Consultations, Makeup Touch Ups, and Hand Treatments
- Be one of the first 50 guest and receive an AVEDA Product Gift and a voucher for a complimentary hair treatment with your next service
Vera Wang, 158 Mercer Street between Prince & W Houston Streets
- Vera Wang and her team will peruse NYC in their customized Mister Softee truck; giving out free ice cream
- Shopping incentives and giveaways available
Worth & Worth, 45 West 57th Street between Fifth & Avenue of the Americas
- Great Gatsby themed Gala including build your own hat event, celebrity hat auction, cocktails, live music, photo booth, and more
Madison Avenue Spy Fashion Hunt, shops between 57th & 86th Streets
- The ultimate scavenger hunt-shoppers are invited to attend and tweet pictures from a list of events happening at retailers on Madison Avenue (between 57th-86th streets). Shoppers who complete three tasks will be directed to a secret Madison Avenue location where they will be awarded with prizes and champagne
- Chance to win from leading brands like Betsey Johnson, Juicy Couture, La Perla; for officials rules, visit madisonavenuespy.com
Manolo Blahnik, 31 West 54th New York NY 10019
- Sarah Jessica Parker and Manolo Blahnik USA invite you to celebrate Fashion’s Night Out on September 8th at their boutique where they will unveil a special shoe Sarah Jessica teamed up with Manolo in designing.
- In toasting this very special collaboration a van will be tooting around the city with Manolo’s favorite treat—milkshakes.
- Milkshakes and Manolos, what could be better! A portion of the proceeds will go to The Fund for Public Schools.
The Beverly Center, 8500 Beverly Boulevard
- This star-studded Luxury Fashion Show hosted by Nicole Richie will feature the trendiest fall looks. Expect to see an abundance of A-listers, press, and fashion editors
Alice + Olivia, 134 South Robertson Boulevard
- This carnival-inspired theme block party makes you feel like a kid again with sno-cones, cotton candy, games and raffles
ADBD Space (Paul Frank Pop-Up Shop), 8246 Beverly Blvd
- This retro-inspired disco themed party hosted by Paul Frank and Red Light PR is complete with a pop-up shop, henna tattoos, and a custom photobooth. Taryn Manning will be Djing the event. Don’t miss out on the fully stocked candy bar and drinks all night
City Style Collective, 695 North Miami Avenue
- 30 of Miami’s hottest acts from fashion and beauty will be participating in this pop-up shop event. This jammed-packed event will feature mini-make-overs, hair touch-ups, photo shoots, dancing, live entertainment, and music provided by DJ Rob Di Nero
Galleria Dallas, 13350 Dallas Parkway Suite 3080
- Participating retailers here are offering a ton of deals and freebies: Prosecco and Italian specialty cocktails at Gucci, photo sessions at Saks Fifth Avenue taken by an Estée Lauder photography artist; free wristlet with your purchase of $150 at Dooney & Bourke
Oak Street Shops, Oak Street between Michigan Avenue and State Street
- Drink and meet the designers of Henry & Belle Denim Company all while receiving a 20% discount; Ashley Zisook, owner of Sofia and her stylists will be offering champagne, discounts and giveaways. First 500 guests receive a FNO tote bag. All shoppers will receive one raffle ticket with every purchase at a participating store
Shopping for a cause: NYC AIDS Fund is the official charity of Fashion Night Out where 40% of proceeds from sales of the limited edition FNO t-shirts ($25), long-sleeved shirts ($30), caps ($15), and totes ($50) will be donated. The collection is available at various retailers and major department stores and online at fashionsnightout.com/collection
Barneys will be donating 10% of its FNO sales at the Barneys Madison Avenue store (and 10% of Barneys.com sales) to the National September 11th Memorial & Museum.
Vera Wang celebrated the launch of her latest fragrance, Lovestruck, with Gossip Girl star Leighton Meester at the fabulous James Hotel. Vera was there to tell us about Lovestruck:
“Lovestruck is about the emotion and rush you feel when you are falling in love and going for it…those heart-pounding moments of spontaneity,” Vera said of her new scent creation, which has notes of florals, woods and musk.
Lovestruck comes in a gorgeous and feminine flower bottle. Vera, who wore a black jumpsuit, added that Lovestruck was inspired by a modern day twist on Romeo & Juliet. It captures the feeling of a woman who is struck by love, captivated by passion. It represents an irresistible romance.
Leighton, who is featured in the fragrance’s ad campaign, stopped by later after a filming of Gossip Girl looking gorgeous in a white dress with a leather belt and some of the highest heels we’ve ever seen. Her hair was swept into an elegant messy updo with an edgy studded barette. Leighton was super friendly and smiled for the cameras as they caught her getting her palm read.
The chic event was held at Jimmy, the hotel’s scenic rooftop venue. Bartenders mixed up signature Lovestruck cocktails and a palm and tarot card reader was on hand to see if love was in your future. You could even send a love note to a friend or special someone from one of the laptops there.
Shop the Full Story:
For one night, I felt like a teenager again. I wore a sparkly party-girl dress to my daughter Rachel’s Bat Mitzvah! It’s short, covered with nude paillettes (a close relation to the sequin) by alice + olivia. The precociously fashion-obsessed Rachel picked it out for me. For shoes, I chose the multicolor glitter peep toe pumps by shoe god Christian Louboutin. Rachel looked spectacular in her dress from Vera Wang Bridal and shoes from Moschino. Hair and make-up by Jillian Halouska. What more could we want?!—Melissa Meyers, Founding Editor & CEO
Buy Vera Wang Dress, Style 28M28, $290, 212.628.9898