You did it, didn’t you? You made your annual New Year’s resolution to lose weight, eat better, and get in shape. Resolutions are so 2010. And 2009. And 2008. Stop making diet and health resolutions and do something instead. Our top 5 weight loss and wellness book picks will keep those new year, new you resolutions from making a reappearance in 2012. Whether you want to try the new cookie diet or just need some healthy eating tips, this is not your mother’s Weight Watchers. From chocolate and French fries to 3 square meals daily, you’ll find a diet plan here that will work for you.
1. The Total Health & Wellness Book:
Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It!, by Kris Carr
Channel your inner crazy sexy diva-self! Kris Carr, who’s living with a rare and incurable cancer, directed the autobiographical TLC documentary Crazy Sexy Cancer in 2007 and has since turned author. Her new diet book oozes inspiration to take control of your happiness and health. Get your workout routine in sync with healthy eating, and read lifestyle advice on everything from the painful truth about sugar to being a veggie vixen. This colorful romp of a read is splashed with anecdotes and packed with fun tidbits like how to create your own juicer. You’ll be raring to tackle the 21-Day Adventure Cleanse—don’t worry, Carr waits until the end of the book!
Buy Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It!, by Kris Carr, $14.97, at amazon.com
2. The Diet Book to Lose Weight Fast:
Cinch! Conquer Cravings, Drop Pounds, and Lose Inches, by Cynthia Sass
What could be sweeter than eating chocolate on a diet?! Cinch!, from the co-author of The Flat Belly Diet!, maps out a 30-day plan full of weight loss tips based on clean, nutrient-rich food that will put you on the fast track to shedding those unwanted pounds. With shopping and fashion tips and a month of recipes, say goodbye to calorie-counting and frozen diet meals.
Buy Cinch! Conquer Cravings, Drop Pounds, and Lose Inches, by Cynthia Sass, $14.29, at amazon.com Mandatory chocolate on diet?! Cynthia Sass reveals that and more in My Diet Book Cinch! Is Number 1: News & Exploits from My Day
3. The Diet Book to Keep You on a Diet:
400 Calorie Fix: The Easy New Rule for Permanent Weight Loss!, by Liz Vaccariello, Mindy Hermann, and the Editors of Prevention
Are you a diet virgin? Welcome to the easiest way to slim down we’ve ever seen—2 weeks and 1 weight-loss rule—eat a 400-calorie meal 3 times per day. There’s salad and grilled fish, but you junk foodies will love the picks from Starbucks, Chipotle, Dunkin’ Donuts . . . you can have it all! With restaurant-specific guides and mouth-watering recipes, 400 calories is the new 1,000!
Buy 400 Calorie Fix: The Easy New Rule for Permanent Weight Loss!, by Liz Vaccariello, Mindy Hermann, and the Editors of Prevention, $13.79, at amazon.com
4. The Book That Will Get You to Eat Clean:
Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well with 100 New Clean Food Recipes, by Terry Walters
Don’t care about gluten-free? Don’t do vegan? Don’t matter. Everyone will love Clean Start because it promotes using fresh, seasonal ingredients in 100 yummy recipes, from winter pear cake to mango chutney to cocoa brownies. Healthy-eating expert and author Terry Walters shows that you don’t need to give up great taste to eat clean, whether your clean means gluten-free, vegan, or just plain healthy eating. The mouthwatering photography will motivate you to enter—and stay—in the kitchen!
Buy Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well with 100 New Clean Food Recipes, by Terry Walters, $14.02, at amazon.com
5. A Health Book Full of Great Food & Recipes:
Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients, by the Editors of Whole Living
Leave it to Martha Stewart and her team to produce this spectacular and enticing power-food bible. Each page features a power food, such as avocado, berries, and wild Alaskan salmon, and lists the food’s health benefits along with tips on storing, cooking, and preparing. You’ll want to splurge on these ingredients and stock your fridge, especially after checking out the recipes. A bonus—the page-turning photography helps you master healthy cooking tips in no time.
Buy Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients, by the Editors of Whole Living, $14.86, at amazon.com
Reasons We Love Divya Gugnani & Her Book Sexy Women Eat
1. With chapters like “Eating Muffins Gives You A Muffin Top,” her snarky personality shines and keeps you laughing! Laughing burns a few calories, right?
2. We love her shameless self-promotion—and the PageDaily shoutout at the back of the book! Yes, she is one of our amazing contributing editors.
3. She gives us a free pass to ditch the gym! Stairs instead of the elevator, jumping jacks in the ladies’ room, dumbbells under your desk—the Divya method is definitely do-able!
4. She absolves us of guilt about loving delicious food! Satisfy cravings, and watch small, everyday changes equal big changes on the scale!
5. From how to remove a wine stain to why you shouldn’t date a “manorexic,” Divya’s your new BFF in a book.
• Cynthia Sass Shares Her Day—My Book Is Number 1 at Amazon
• A Celebrity Stylist & Her Pre-Fashion Week Juice Cleanse
• Eat Your Way to Beauty & Still Lose Weight
• Eat Like a Kid with Guilt-Free Comfort Food