Earth Day (April 22nd) is around the corner, and the perfect time to embrace what’s good for the planet and good for you too. Here are 8 eco-chic fashion and beauty essentials that will leave you looking and feeling your best, from head to toe.
Zelens Triple-Action Advanced Eye Cream, $120
Combining an innovative mix of potent active ingredients with antioxidants, plant extracts and marine collagen, this eye cream tightens the skin and diminishes the appearance of wrinkles, minimizes puffiness, and reduces dark circles. Free of mineral oils and parabens, this is my new favorite eye rescue.
Olio Lusso which means luxury oil in Italian was founded in 2007 by Linda Rodin, a former model and fashion editor, whose daily beauty regimen is as luxe and low maintenance as it gets, consisting solely of her Olio Lusso and lipstick! A celeb favorite of Julianne Moore and Molly Sims, the botanical and floral chemical-free essential oil is non-greasy and great for soothing, softening, and glowing skin; just take a look at Linda Rodin!
Rodin Olio Lusso Luxury Body Oil, BUY NOW,$95
Shop the Full Story: Best Beauty Products from Around the World
Wandering the beauty aisles can be a daunting task. It’s not just about finding the perfect shade of nude lip gloss, part of the problem is we’re just not familiar with the ingredients and what they do. That’s why I’m giving you the scoop on some seriously great ingredients and, as always, some deals so you can get what you need. Give it a try—it’s a break for your face and your wallet!
A is for Apples. A product that’s flying off the shelves right now is the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Full Strength ($45). I always thought “natural” or “organic” was a bit too delicate and hippie to really be the industrial powerhouse I needed, but I was wrong. I was very wrong. Not to get all sciencey on you, but this is sort of interesting, and what makes the patented Green Apple Peel ingredients so powerful and effective is:
Malic Acid is from Green Apples
Citric Acid is from Lemons
Tartaric Acid is from Grapes
Salicylic Acid is from Willow bark (Full Strength Only)
It’s the unique combination of the above alpha and beta hydroxy acids from organic ingredients, along with raw cane sugar, that make this product so strong! The reason the organic ingredient part is important is because organics have 30-35% higher antioxidant and vitamin loads than non-organic ingredients.
BONUS: FREE Full-size hydrating mask with any purchase over $35 CODE Meg. Ends July 31st.
A is also for Argan. We see it in everything from makeup to skincare to hair products. Use it while pregnant and it even prevents stretch marks! Women try it and they don’t turn back! It’s so multi-use and a little goes such a long way that it’s a must-have in every medicine cabinet.
So, what is Argan Oil? Argan oil is an oil produced from the kernels of the argan tree. Endemic Argan oil remains one of the rarest oils in the world due to small and very specific growing areas in Morocco.
Taylor Swift and Salma Hayek have gone on record to say that they’re huge Argan Oil fans, but with all of these new Argan Oil products flooding the market, why do we at Megsmakeup.com love Zakias Argan Oil 100% Pure and Natural ($39.99) so much?
Because the women that harvest the Argan Oil, the Berber woman of Morocco, do it all by hand and in small groups. They painstakingly, manually grind the Argan nuts into a paste and then extract the oil. Zakias does not use machines, and it employs and empowers women with jobs.
BONUS: Want to try it? Here’s a deal! Use Code MEG2000 and enjoy 20% OFF of any order!
“It’s Good as Gold!” There’s no wonder why Hollywood’s gliteratti have been flocking for years to facial serums with gold in them. When La Prairie launched their Cellular Radiance Gold (at $580 an ounce!) in 2006, they had a bestseller on their hands. Study after study has shown that gold maintains firmness and elasticity and works on improving circulation and decreasing skin inflammation. Pure gold helps to soften expression lines, reduce fine wrinkles and diminish the appearance of age spots.
On Megsmakeup.com, we just had a tremendously positive review of KenetMD’s 24k Gold Serum ($95). Formulated by a very fancy and heavily degreed celebrity dermatologist, Dr. Barney Kenet, this serum has Hollywood buzzing. Botanicals mixed with actual gold flecks glide onto skin and leave you with a very illuminated look. I have never used anything that works so perfectly as a primer.
It makes sense that Dr. Kenet would create this, since he’s New York City’s Upper East Side Golden Boy, tending to a few big-name clients (Demi, Sandra, Jennifer…). If you too want to hold a big gold statue someday, practice in your mirror with this little gold bottle!
BONUS: Want in? The retail is $95 BUT with code Meg Head you only pay $60 (good for the first 100 only so move quick!).
“You Are What You Eat!” We’ve all heard that one, and we all know about the skin benefits of Vitamin C and Vitamin E. Well, this amazing product has all of that plus a huge infusion of Vitamin F. Let me introduce you to Cosminology’s Galactive Glove Seal Your Skin Anti-Oxidant Serum ($75)!
“Vitamin F” was the designation originally given to essential fatty acids that the body cannot manufacture. They were then “de-vitaminized” because they are fatty acids, but you need fatty acids! Acids are probably what you’re swallowing every day to promote healthy hair and nails. That’s where your daily multi-vitamin comes into play, since our bodies do not manufacture Vitamin F. The issue (like much of nutrition) is balance. For example, Omega 6s are considered “pro-inflammatory” while Omega 3s are “anti-inflammatory.” Our body needs some inflammation to survive.
Galactic Glove Seal Your Skin Anti-Oxidant Treatment has been a “holy grail” item on Megsmakeup.com and it has been a life-saver for women that suffer from acne. I know putting an oil on your face seems counterproductive, but not when it’s stored with this many anti-inflammatory properties. The added antioxidants also combat free radicals and act as a barrier to heal and protect your face. Who’s behind this innovative product? Brilliant dermatologist, Dr. Dima!
BONUS: Vitamin F for Frugal! Want a deal on this baby? Just type in Code MEG For 20% OFF.
Hyaluronic Acid is Your Friend! Your skin is thirsty for it! You’re probably pretty familiar with this term and you see it in a lot of great anti-aging skin products. So…what exactly is it? Hyaluronic Acid is a natural substance that can be found in the body. Since it helps retain water, it keeps skin hydrated, moist and soft, thereby maintaining a youthful appearance. As we age, the level of HA in the body also decreases, so the older we get, the less ability the skin has to retain its moisture, hence the occurrence of lines and wrinkles. Epione’s Correction ($175) has the highest pharmaceutical grade of Hyaluronic Acid available on the market today!
Epione Corrective Skincare is what Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills’ own Lisa Vanderpump swears by. The creator, Dr. Simon Ourion, is who I see when I am in Beverly Hills for all of my facial work.
Speaking of…where else do I recommended for a good skin fix? When I’m on the East Coast, I run to Dr. Barney Kenet. When I’m in a jam heading down south, I see Dr. Dima in Reston, VA. For days when I’m in Los Angeles and I have a “TV problem,” you can find my tush in a seat in Dr. Ourian’s waiting room and I’m never alone. I see many A-Listers there!
BONUS: You want some? I knew you would! Use Code MEG for 20% OFF.
I hope this info proved valuable to you! Just a few things I have learned and a few great products I have found as we all search for the fountain of youth. What ingredient do you always look for before deciding whether or not to buy? Hope these discounts help on the best products on the market!
-Megan O’Brien of MegsMakeup.com
Megan O’Brien runs Megsmakeup.com. Meg is a beauty expert and makeup artist who frequently guest stars on national television. Megsmakeup.com is her baby, where she believes, “Always remember, true beauty comes from within…from within bottles, jars, compacts and tubes!”
Image Credit: Sheckys.com
|Sheckys.com lets you share your man’s mystifying moments, get easy tips for the healthiest, happiest and most fashionable you, discover our Girls Night Out events and more, all while earning OMG Points toward free goodies!|
Many of the best skin and hair products use natural ingredients from around the globe. Some of these magical ingredients have been used for centuries. Here are some amazing products to try:
Fresh Umbrian Clay Treatment Bar 7.8 oz
This looks like a bar of soap except it is made from 100% Umbrian clay! It can be used as s deep cleanser or to calm irritations like rosacea, blemishes and ingrown hairs. It also absorbs toxins due to its high mineral content. I like to use it in the t-zone area where oil builds up and find that it works extremely well (especially for spot-treating blemishes). Umbrian Clay, found only in Nocera Umbra, Italy, also has anti-inflammatory properties. The basis of therapeutic treatments for centuries dating back to the 6th century B.C., Umbrian Clay has been known to clear pores and brighten complexions.
Buy Now, $38
Moroccan Oil Hydrating Styling Cream
I love this styling cream because it contains argan oil and has all the benefits of the original MORROCCANOIL treatment for hair but is not greasy (and smells amazing). Use about a dime size amount in wet hair each time before styling and it will protect it from the wrath of the harsh styling tools we all love to use. It hydrates the hair perfectly and is my go-to styling product of choice. Argan oil, found in Morocco is produced from the kernels of the argan tree that only grows wild in semi-desert soil. The rare oil is renowned as a hair, skin and cuticle treatment for its hydrating properties and vitamin content.
Buy Now, $32.39
Desert Essence Tea Tree Replenishing Shampoo and Conditioner
This therapeutic formula heals and treats the scalp and preserves hair’s natural emollients. I love how the shampoo and conditioner smells minty and fresh. Plus, it leaves hair feeling super clean and shiny. Tea tree oil, which hails from Australia, is taken from the leaves of a plant which is native to its northeast coast. It has many beneficial medical properties and is commonly used in Australia as an antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-fungal.
Buy Now, Shampoo, $8.99 and Conditioner, $8.99
Kiehl’s Rosa Arctica Face Cream
Kiehl’s recently introduced this anti-aging moisturizer formulated with the rare rosa artica or “Resurrection Flower,” as its main active ingredient. This new product promises to repair cells, reduce lines and wrinkles, and protect skin from future damage. I enjoy using it regularly because it makes my skin feel firm and hydrated. Rosa artica is a plant that grows in the mountains of Bulgaria and the secret lies in the flower’s ability to retain water within the cell which is why it can survive for approximately 30 months without any water.
Buy Now, $60
Ahava Purifying Mud Mask
This product is a deep cleansing mineral mud mask that contains purifying qualities and clears skin of excess oils and blackheads. Face masks are the ultimate in pampering the delicate skin on your face—this one dries in only two minutes so it’s easy to make time to treat yourself. Most importantly, the mask contains many of the soothing ingredients found in the waters of the Dead Sea located in Israel. The Dead Sea provides one of the world’s highest concentrations of healthy minerals for the skin.
Buy Now, $30
Goodbye granola, hello glamour. Just because you shop eco-friendly doesn’t mean you need to compromise on style! Who says that environmentally conscious products need to be made of hemp and colored in straw tones? Today, it is just as easy to be eco-conscious as eco-chic. In honor of Earth Day this month, here are my top picks for fun and fabulous, environmentally friendly products.
Josie Maran Make-Up: I love this earth-friendly beauty line because it features pure and gentle cosmeticsin an abundant array of colors and textures. Products are made with Moroccan Argan oil, an organic ingredient known to help and prevent dehydration, inflammation, and hyper-pigmentation. The oil is rich in Vitamin E and essential fatty acids, which have anti-aging properties. Formulas are packed with botanical ingredients, and products are packaged with recyclable and biodegradable materials.
1. Josie Maran Beautiful Lips Collection: This collection has a $98 value and includes Josie’s best selling Magic Marker Lip & Cheek Stains and Natural Volume Lip Glosses. The stains come in Waltz (soft berry rose) and Quickstep (soft mauvy rose), and the glosses come in Optimism (sheer shimmering golden beige), Precious (sheer petal pink), and Voluptuous (sheer plum wine). For an added bonus, a deluxe sample size of Argan Oil is included the collection.
Buy Now, $42
2. Josie Maran Argan Eye Love You Too Palette: This limited-edition palette contains eight Argan-infused eye shadows in natural tones complementary to anyone’s eye color and complexion. The palette also comes with an easy-to-follow, how-to card from Josie herself, featuring step-by-step instructions on how to create the ideal day and night looks.
Buy Now, $42
3. Fashionation’s Foldable Speakers: These foldable speakers pump up the glam with their great sounds and fun designs. My daughter has her eye on the leopard print! Made from recycled materials, these speakers require no batteries and fold flat for convenient storage and portability. They are also quite affordable and universally compatible with iPods, MP3 players, laptops and more. LOVE it!
Buy now, $14.99
4. Hanky Panky Earth Day Cami & Boyshort: Green is the new black when it comes to this sexy and comfortable lingerie. The cami and boyshort are super soft and made with organically grown cotton jersey. Adorned with cotton lace and rosettes, these pieces are as adorable as they are environmentally friendly. The design, color and feel of the fabric make these fab pieces a perfect addition to your lingerie closet. They will definitely be added to mine!
Buy Now – Cami $39
5. Aveda Light the Way Candle: Made from 100% naturally derived soy wax and infused with organic lavender, the Aveda limited-edition candle is more than just another green product that smells great—it’s charitable as well. 100% of the proceeds go to Global Greengrants, a group that funds projects to help protect water rights and access around the world.
Buy Now, $12
6. Recycled Auto Glass- Wine Glasses: What better way to drink wine than from a stemless glass made from unique yet wonderfully worn automotive glass? The design is modern and chic, and each glass is a one-of-a-kind in its own way with air bubbles and varying thicknesses and textures. They are sturdy and strong with a slight green hue—just like that of a windshield. These glasses are so cool!
Buy Now, $28
7. Kiss My Face Peace Soap: I love this all natural and all purpose Castile Soap that comes in various scents like grassy mint and lavender mandarin! It cleaned my countertops, removed a stain from a chair, and was great in the shower. It is also available as a foaming pump soap (my kids are big fans). Green and charitable too, 10% of the profits are donated to Seeds of Peace to benefit young people in regions of conflict.
Buy Now, $15.99
8. Cygalle Sea Pearl Elixir: A new favorite of mine, this all natural moisturizing serum has a lovely light texture and mild scent. Made of seaweed, coconut extract, cucumber,and palm tree origin, the Cygalle Healing Spa Sea Pearl Elixir is the perfect warm weather moisturizer because of its non-oily base. The moisturizer gives your skin a gorgeous glow and enhances its elasticity. It also boasts a slew of B vitamins, which help prevent premature aging. It can also be used under your existing moisturizer for added benefits. Fans of Cygalle’s Healing Spa products include Kate Hudson, Helena Christensen, David Blaine and Rosario Dawson.
Buy Now $25 (2oz) and $75 (8oz)