Fashion’s Night Out, taking place this year on September 6th, 2012, is in it’s fourth year and bigger and better than ever! Heavy hitters such as celebrities, DJ’s, designers, models, and the fashion glitterati will be making appearances at stores across the country. Fashion’s Night Out supports and promotes shopping and retailers and also serves as a prelude kick-off party to New York Fashion Week. With over 42 pages of activities in New York alone, we sorted through all of the fun to bring you the best of the best: appearances by almost the entire Kardashian clan on both coasts, designers Oscar de la Renta, Michael Kors, and Zac Posen, and musical guests such as Alexa Chung, Haim, The Knocks, and Matchbox Twenty. Read on to find out what’s going down in your city on fashion’s wildest night!
Alice + Olivia
431 West 14th Street, New York, NY 10014
Guests will dance along to our favorite 80’s jams and watch slumber party chick flicks while enjoying sweet treats and browsing the boutiques for the latest Fall frocks! Braid bars, manicures, charm bracelet stations and tattoo booths will be making over FNO shoppers with aura and palm readers on hand to predict our (sure to be bright) futures! And, what slumber party is complete without an extreme pillow fight with special guest stars!? Join in on the action at our new Meatpacking location.
542 West 22nd Street, New York, NY 10011
Balenciaga welcomes you to a Fashion’s Night Out champagne reception to celebrate the launch of a limited-edition “Pumpkin” accessories line created by Grace Coddington and Nicolas Ghesquière. This special line of accessories features Grace Coddington’s whimsical drawings of Pumpkin, her cat, modeling iconic Balenciaga looks.
Beauty & Essex
146 Essex Street, New York, NY 10002
Meet curator and Gold Girl, aka Lauren Kaminsky, as she showcases different jewelry collections with special offers. Stylists will be on hand to show you how to embellish outfits with unique accessories. A celebratory cocktail and a special dish created by Chef Chris Santos will be served throughout the evening in the restaurant. Have any photo engraved on a complimentary item with purchase.
754 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10019
Starting at 3:00 pm: Special guest appearances by beauty experts and makeup artists including Aerin Lauder, Francis Kurkdjian, Colette Malouf and Miss Pop nail bar, Brows by Sonja, lashes by Taylor and more. With DJ Johnny Dynell.
BOOK LAUNCH PARTY. Book signing with author Sara James Mnookin and designers to celebrate the new book “Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman” (Harper Design.) With special guests Edward Bess, Halston Heritage, Lela Rose, Michael Bastian, Naeem Khan, Rachel Zoe, Roberto Faraone Mennella & Amedeo Scognamiglio, Thakoon Panichgul, Robert Verdi and more. Music by Andrew Andrew.
PHOTOS ON 5F. Put on your party hat! BG and Tumblr invite you to capture your favorite FNO moments with Tumblr photographers and Bosco photo booths on 5F. Photos will stream on Tumblr and designers will be on hand to help style guests and share images with their own social media followers. Our very own 5th/58th astrologers Amy Zerner and Monte Farber will also be on hand, reading tarot cards and sharing their special brand of celestial wisdom.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BERGDORF. One city, one store, one experience. Since 1901. Join us at Fashion’s Night Out for a very special birthday party throughout the store to kick off a season of celebrations commemorating Bergdorf Goodman’s 111th Anniversary. Featuring the launch of the new book “Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman” (Harper Design), and an exclusive collection created especially for the anniversary by more than 100 designers. DJ Lady Bunny.
1000 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10022
Shop the latest collection from Rebecca Minkoff and have your new purchase personalized with monogramming or a custom painted design by artist, DIY expert, and blogger Nicole Cohen of Sketch 42.
Meet philanthropist, animal activist, author, and accessories designer Cornelia Guest and shop her newest collection of animal-friendly, oh-so-stylish handbags.
Shop the fall collection from Free People and have your new Boheme look studded on-site, including Free People purchases as well as your new Fashion’s Night Out t-shirts and Fashion’s Night Out tote bags. Plus, the first 25 guests to have an item studded will receive an iPhone cover.* *One per customer, while supplies last.
Join Heather Thomson, Founder of Yummie Tummie and newest cast member of “The Real Housewives of New York,” for a picture on the red carpet!
Multi-platinum superstars Matchbox Twenty will be here to celebrate the September 4th release of their highly anticipated new studio album NORTH and their cover of the Bloomingdale’s Best of Men’s book.
Meet and Mingle with The Twilight Saga actor Kellan Lutz for Charisma.
Challenge ping pong pros from SPiN to a ping pong match! The winner will receive a gift from Fred Perry.
72 Spring Street, New York, NY 10012
C. Wonder representatives will be passing out different colored C. Wonder balloons throughout Soho. Bring your C. Wonder balloon back to the Soho store and find out what prize you win based on your color! C. Wonder will also be teaming up with Daily Candy for FNO. Exclusive Daily Candy Editors will be at the Soho store. Music will be provided by our in house D.J, and we will be serving sweet treats and lemonade.
Calvin Klein Collection
654 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10021
Join Calvin Klein Collection co-hosts Francisco Costa + Italo Zucchelli for a special evening with Vogue’s Virginia Smith at the brand’s flagship store. The night’s special guests include eight-time NBA All-Star, Dwyane Wade, who will be signing his memoir, A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger Than Basketball, as well as photographer, blogger, and model Hanneli Mustaparta, who will capture the event for Calvin Klein’s Tumblr®, as guests enjoy music, refreshments, shopping + style tips.
420 West Broadway, New York, NY 10012
Join hosts Lauren Bush Lauren and supermodel Karlie Kloss for a special shopping event benefiting the FEED Foundation. Featuring the DKNY x FEED capsule collection and the launch of Karlie’s Kookies, baked in partnership with Kloss and Momofuku Milk Bar, and served by supermodels Jordan Dunn and Toni Garrn. Proceeds from the cookies and percentage of event sales will benefit the FEED Foundation.
874 Washington Street, New York, NY 10014
Get Ready to Rendez-vous at DVF! Hosted by Girls™ Allison Williams and Vogue™’s Meredith Melling Burke, our studio will be transformed into the ultimate space to get ready for your next chance encounter. Receive styling advice from a Vogue Editor and makeup touch ups from MAC artists, ask a fortune teller for a glimpse into the future, and enjoy cocktails, desserts and special guest DJ Solange Knowles.
18 Ninth Avenue, New York, NY 10014
Take a break from all the heavy shopping bag lifting at Exhale’s Gansevoort location. They will be offering complimentary mini massages, 25% off future spa appointments, 20% off at the boutique, and special offerings on core fusion and yoga class packages.
812 Washington Street, New York, NY 10014
Intermix invites you to toast FNO & Fall 2012. The Knocks will spin of-the-moment tunes while you fall in love with must-know designers, exclusive product and covetable pieces. Sip celebratory cocktails as Benefit cosmetics treats you to a pop of color.
723 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10065
J. Mendel hosts “Ballet Beautiful” book signing party at Madison Avenue Boutique. Ballet Beautiful Dancers will perform in the J. Mendel windows wearing J. Mendel ballet-inspired designs. First ten guests to purchase a book will receive an original signed, framed sketch by Gilles Mendel.
Jeffrey New York
449 West 14th Street, New York, NY 10014
Jeffrey New York is excited for yet another fabulous Fashion’s Night Out including celebrity appearances by Jessica Chastain and Dan Stevens from new Broadway musical The Heiress! Listen to tunes spun by guest designer DJ Monique Péan while sipping healthy BluePrint Juices. Sally Hershberger Downtown stylists will provide the latest hair trend – complimentary temporary extensions in pops of color.
10 Columbus Circle, Manhattan, NY 10019
L.K.Bennett takes to the streets on FNO with The London NYC and restaurateur Gordon Ramsay in a double -decker bus! The bus will transport shoppers to and from the hotel property and L.K.Bennett’s Time Warner Center location every half hour starting at 6 pm. Guests will sip champagne, shop with renowned stylist Amy Acton and enter to win an overnight stay in a London Suite at The London NYC, a three-course dinner for two at Maze, and a head-to-toe L.K.Bennett ensemble.
541 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
Join us as we celebrate croc-clad fashion icon Mickey Boardman’s 20th anniversary at PAPER Magazine. Lacoste will ring in the special night for Mr. Mickey with a delicious custom confection by the “Cake Boss” that you have to see to believe. Mr. Mickey will be on-hand to style guests in his favorite polos while cocktails and light bites are served. Guests can capture the evening’s memories by taking supped-up snapshots in our Superbooth as DJ Pierce Jackson spins your favorite tunes.
Lord & Taylor
424 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10018
Stop by and meet TV Personality/Entrepreneur, Jill Zarin. Preview her newly launched jewelry collection and receive an autographed photograph.
Celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Project Runway and meet current and past designers.
Stop by for your chance to meet BCBG Chairman & CEO Max Azria and BCBG Chief Creative Director Lubov Azria as you capture your favorite FNO memories with the BCBG Photo Experience.
Stop by for your chance to meet Olympic Gold Medalist and NY Times Best Selling Author Kristi Yamaguchi. Kristi will be signing complimentary Tsuya tote bags.
Stop by for your chance to meet style-savvy entrepreneur and fragrance designer, Kim Kardashian, with your qualifying* True Reflection fragrance purchase. *Qualifying purchase includes $123 True Reflection gift set. Due to time limitations it may not be possible for each customer to meet our special guest.
Stop by and meet New York City’s bravest from the 2013 New York City Firefighter’s Calendar and receive a complimentary signed calendar* with any purchase.
Stop by the Manoukian boutique to have your photo taken in front of big city backdrops. Meet 9to5chic blogger, Anh and receive a complimentary Manoukian bracelet.
Stop by and receive a personalized fashion illustration from the students of the Fashion Institute of Technology, complimentary with any purchase.
151 West 34th Street, New York, NY 10001
Vogue’s Senior Accessories Editor, Rickie De Sole will show you what the ultimate shoe closet holds.
Join Bethenny Frankel for a “Skinnygirl Social” as she hosts a Skinnygirl Smoothers n’ Shapers fashion presentation. Be one of the first customers to arrive at the event and receive an autographed headshot from Bethenny. And, with any Skinnygirl Smoothers n’ Shapers purchase customers will receive a special gift.
Party with Benefit Cosmetics and television sweetheart, Emily Maynard, for a “Beauty Best…or Bust” Event. Get your photo taken with Emily with your qualifying $50 Benefit Cosmetics purchase that includes They’re Real! beyond mascara.
Celebrate the opening of The World’s Largest Shoe Floor at a fashion trivia quiz hosted by fashion designer and TV personality Michael Kors.
Meet actress Britt Robertson and create your favorite Tommy Girl look for a chance to win a Macy’s shopping spree!
Stop by our Men’s Lounge hosted by “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” star, Scott Disick. Enjoy cigar rolling, refreshments, and more. Plus, get your photo taken with Scott when you make a qualifiying purchase! While you’re here, meet the New York Jets Flight Crew Cheerleaders.
Join Macy’s Culinary Council chef, Johnny Iuzzini and Debi Mazar as they share their tips for entertaining in a New York space.
Get a fresh new look for the Fall! Macy’s Style Expert, Clinton Kelly will be here to answer your style questions and help you prepare for a stylish new season! With any $50 women’s apparel purchase on the day of the event, receive a special gift.
20 Harrison Street, New York, NY 10013
Make your way to Matt Bernson’s new Tribeca store for a night of swanky services hosted by Redbook Magazine’s Fashion Editor, Cris Desposito. Meet the designer & score insider tips on the hottest trends, enjoy endless cocktails by Given Liqueur, Signature NailEZEE Manicures, Joico Braid Bar & more. Be first to check out in-store exclusives, swoop up a designer-curated vintage shades, & catch a sneak peek of what’s to come from MB. Get there early – the first 100 will grab a very special swag bag.
Maybelline New York
14th Street & 9th Avenue, New York, NY 10017
For Fashion’s Night Out the Meatpacking District is the place to be as Maybelline New York hosts their official Color Studio Lounge. Enjoy makeovers by Maybelline’s top makeup artists, walk the catwalk like a pro, and step into their custom photo studio to show off your new looks and much more! Look for Maybelline New York’s Mobile Color Studio throughout New York City offering beauty on-the-go. Enjoy daytime touch-ups and mini-manicures featuring the season’s hottest new colors.
667 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10065
Come watch your favorite YouTube stars compete in a Karaoke contest judged by Michael Kors and guest celebrity judges. Have a chance to shop exclusive product as well as have your portrait taken by famed photographer Victor Demarchellier.
1009 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10075
Guests will have the opportunity to meet Margherita Missoni and to purchase special rings supporting Edodé Onlus, an Italian charity working in Mali to provide safe drinking water to villages in Africa. These colorful rings come individually wrapped in Missoni raschel bags. Drinks and light refreshments will be served.
128 Spring Street, New York, NY 10012
In honor of our new targeted haircare products and Fashion Week, we’re throwing a suitably stylish event at our Soho store. We’ll be giving away fascinators (the popular British hair accessory) to help glam up your tresses while you smile and strike a pose for the camera in our digital photo booth from Boothomatic. Plus we’ll also have herb-infused mocktails from the Teaologist and mini colorful treats courtesy of Georgetown Cupcakes.
401 West 14th Street, New York, NY 10014
This year’s Goldilocks and the Three Bears themed Fashion’s Night Out event will feature a DJ set from fashion icon Alexa Chung. Join us in store for themed surprises that will be “just right”. Refreshments will be served on this “beary” exciting and fun filled evening. Limited edition Moschino iPhone cases, in the form of the iconic Moschino bear, will be available in store for purchase.
Opening Ceremony at The Ace Hotel
1190-1192 Broadway, New York, NY 10001
Opening Ceremony is returning to the ACE Hotel for Fashion’s Night Out this year launching Korea as its country of focus.
KARAOKE. The hotel lobby will be converted into a noraebang, or a “private” karaoke room, where guests can participate in the favorite Korean pastime and sing among special hosts.
The hotel lobby will be converted into a noraebang, or a “private” karaoke room, where guests can make a donation to participate in the favorite Korean pastime and sing among special hosts. All donations will be donated to Broome Street Academy.
BOOK SIGNING. With its 10-year retrospective book launching only a few days before, Opening Ceremony will be hosting a live signing of the book by Carol Lim and Humberto Leon, and special contributors, and will display in the Ace Hotel gallery space beautiful reprints and pieces by artists featured in the book. These artworks will be sold during FNO, and all proceeds will be donated to Broome Street Academy.
Fashion’s Night IN: If you can’t make it out to the festivities but want to get in on all the FNO action, follow your favorite fashion insiders on OpenSky, the e-commerce sensation. Shop for stylish clothing and accessories curated from their top fashion gurus such as Molly Sims, Cynthia Rowley and yours truly! OpenSky has dedicated an entire collection in honor of Fashion’s Night Out. They are also offering an OpenSky exclusive FNO tote…items are limited and sure to fly! Get your shop on here.
Piperlime Store Opening
121 Wooster Street, New York, NY 11201
Piperlime celebrates FNO with the launch of its first store at 121 Wooster Street. Meet Rachel Zoe-Piperlime’s Fashion Authority, Olivia Palermo-Piperlime’s Guest Editor and your new best trends for fall. This is your chance to shop your heart out in popular sections like Girl on a Budget, Celebrity Editor Picks and Obsessions. Guests will enjoy cocktails, music by Rev Run + DJ Ruckus and a treat with purchase (while supplies last).
724 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10019
Prada Fifth Avenue invites you to step into the world of Hamish Bowles, Vogue’s International Editor at Large. A percentage of sales from FNO will benefit New Yorkers For Children.
980 Madison Avenue Space C, New York, NY 10075
We are having Lucky editor Lynette Pone style 15-20 girls in fall looks, in categories such as “Work,” “Weekend,” and “Night on the Town.” We will then post the images of the girls to Facebook for fans to vote on which look they like the best for a few days after the big event– the winner will win her full look! Photos of the event will also be posted to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram, from both Rebecca Taylor and Lucky Mag.
Saks Fifth Avenue
611 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10022
Start off your FNO right with freshly trimmed bangs courtesy of designer Erin Fetherston. Meet Erin, shop her fall collection and get your bangs trimmed. Erin will be joined by the legendary Edward Tricomi of Warren Tricomi salons.
Celebrate the launch of his new fragrance, Essential Luxuries with Mr. Oscar de la Renta at 6. Enjoy a private consultation with Creative Director, Tom Pecheux of Estee Lauder from 6 to 8. Meet husband and wife team, Max and Lubov Azria from 8 to 8:45. Play ping pong with Spin Galactic and Men’s designers Bespoken and Number Lab. Also, come in and meet New York Knicks star, Amar’e Stoudemire from 8 to 9!
Get styled with custom print Suno nail designs from Minx Nails with designers, Max and Erin. Make your Mark with Kimberly Ovitz and Rihanna’s tattoo artist, Josh Lord of East Side Ink to collaborate on custom designs to be painted on guests that night. Get a henna tattoo and meet Sachin and Babi Ahluwalia.
Enjoy various activities provided by Crayola. Watch artist, Diem Chau carve into jumbo sized crayons and artist, Herb Williams make sculptors. Partake in our airbrush graffiti wall and life-size paint-by-number.
Join Rebecca Minkoff for a Girls’ Night Out. From a “ponytail bar” and “smokey eye station” to a “make your own arm party” and nail art inspired by her fall handbag collection, guests can get decked out and dabble in DIY before they hit the town.
Meet Darren Criss of Glee and Special Guests for signed copy of the September Issue of Vogue.
Personal Appearance by Rachel Roy, Gabriele Franzen, Megan Papay and Cristina Paloma-Nelson of Freda Salvador and Edgardo Osorio. Meet Elle.com’s celebrity astrologers, The Astro Twins, who will tell you which shoes are right for you based on your birthday. Superimpose yourself into the Rayban ad campaign and have fun with our Social Pix Station.
875 Washington Street
Join Scoop NYC and AG Adriano Goldschmied for a block party with special appearances by Zac Posen, Sonia Evers of Runway Hippie, and the bloggers of Born and Bread. Musical performances by St Lucia and DJ Mick Boogie, featuring Beyond Vintage, Fashion Etc, Yosi Samra, and Beautybar.com.
597 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10017
Get your Fashion Week fix at Sephora! Starting at 7:30PM, design duo Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig will be in store to introduce you to their new fragrance, MARCHESA PARFUM D’EXTASE. See actual Marchesa dresses previously worn by celebrities, have your picture taken on the red carpet in a life-size Marchesa dress cutout, experience Marchesa Parfum d’Extase at the fragrance bar, and enjoy refreshments, a live DJ set, and more.
28 Prince Street, New York, NY 10012
Hey kids, it’s finally time to retire that fake ID: Sigerson Morrison is turning 21! And what better way to celebrate than to throw the biggest, chicest birthday celebration that FNO has ever seen. It’ll be the same kind of debauchery you remember from your heydays, but with a haute twist and much better accessories; think lots and lots and lots of champers. Of course, Belle will be there to keep things fresh, and to make sure the DJ keeps the classic 90s jams bumping all night!
441 West 14th Street, New York, NY 10014
Join Target as we celebrate our fall installment of “The Shops at Target,” featuring New York City’s “Odin” and “Kirna Zabete,” Boston’s “Patch NYC,” and San Francisco’s “The Curiosity Shoppe.” The one night only, pop-up shop will give New Yorkers the chance to shop the collections before they launch at Target stores nationwide and on Target.com. Quantities limited to each guest.
Tiffany & Co.
106 Wooster Street, New York, NY 10012
The world’s most dazzling diamonds beckon you downtown on Fashion’s Night Out to visit Tiffany’s new store in SoHo, where NYC’s first great jeweler is celebrating 175 years of legendary style. There’ll be art, fashion, tunes and treats in an atmosphere sparkling with the beauty and glamour of Tiffany jewels.
478 Broadway, New York, NY 10013
Get ready for Fashion Fanfare! Come and help us celebrate Vogue Fashion’s Night Out, TOPSHOP style this Thursday September 6th, 6-10pm. With our favorite band of the moment, Haim, performing live in our New York store window, plus a fashion raffle that could see you winning big – it’s guaranteed to be a night to be a night to remember. Don’t miss the Vogue team’s personal style edit, and if all that wasn’t enough, we’ve also got makeovers, nail art and gifts galore.
746 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10065
Valentino will be celebrating Fashion’s Night Out with hosts: Genevieve Jones, Nicky Hilton, Olivia Palermo, and Sofia Sanchez Barrenechea. Music by: Sean and Anthony Souza.
532 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
Join us at our SoHo store location to shop our new fall collection and meet founder Vince Camuto and creative director Louise Camuto along with the duo behind the wildly popular blog Honestly… WTF! Honestly… WTF founders Erica and Lauren will host a DIY crafts table where shoppers can decorate a Fashion’s Night Out tote printed with your choice of an exclusive Vince Camuto or VC Signature sketch of our hottest fall designs! As you decorate your bag, chat with Lauren and Erica who will swap style tips and their favorite fall pieces from Vince Camuto.
Bat Your Lashes Down The Runway
Fashion Week is full of the kind of energy that makes you stop and think, the kind that excites you and elevates your tastes to another level. It brings out the inner hunger that we all share to embody our personalities through fashion. It follows, then, that when models grace the runway, every little bit of their look is dissected, from lip color to heel height. This season, look to their lashes to highlight emerging trends in the beauty sphere that are sometimes more artistic than practical. Here, founder of EnvyDerm Eyelash Growth Serum, Volume Mascara, and Intense Liquid Eyeliner, Nadia Smith, shares her take on which lash trends to look out for, and how to get the look at home.
Long, Thick Lashes
Long, luxurious lashes are a staple in the fashion world. Although they might not be as unique as the other trends that have recently popped up, they are a classic staple in the realm of beauty.
Nadia says, “This season, as clean lines and defined cuts follow in the minimalist direction, some designers will likely follow this theme and maintain natural lash looks. With products that work while you use them, like EnvyDerm, you can achieve this look simply by applying your makeup.”
This is a great trend to try out at home, and you’ll have your friends asking, “Are those real?”
Tips for Application:
· Apply EnvyDerm Lash Growth Mascara to clean, dry lashes.
· Swirl while applying for maximum impact. Allow one minute between layers.
· Apply EnvyDerm Intense Liquid Eyeliner to clean, dry lash line.
· Wipe excess off brush and draw a line along the upper lid, beginning from inner corner.
· If you want to grow longer lashes without using the makeup products, try EnvyDerm Eyelash Growth Serum. Apply to lash line the same way as you would liquid eyeliner.
· Extra tip: also works on eyebrows!
Feather False Eyelashes
Beware: this trend is tough on the eyelids. Feather eyelashes can be heavy, but if you’re going for an over-the-top look, you can guarantee that these will be a showstopper. “Feather eyelashes are the kind of trend that we see emerge during Fashion Week because they are unique and fun. Fashion designers are artists, and with art comes the drama of the avant-garde.” Feathers were a big hit in the hair for the last season, so look for this to evolve into lashes for the fall.
Tips for Application:
· Curl lashes with eyelash curler.
· Adjust the width to fit your specific eye shape.
· Apply adhesive and allow about 10-15 seconds for drying.
· Place false lashes on upper lash line, working from the outside in.
Paper False Eyelashes
Hoping to upstage all other lash trends this season, a new look is here: paper eyelashes. Following the tradition of Chinese paper cutting, these lashes take falsies to a new level. Pioneered by company PaperSelf, the lashes feature animals such as horses, butterflies, and peacocks. “Paper lashes have just hit the beauty market, and have really changed the idea of false lashes. These designs are themselves works of art, and have surfaced just in time for the runways,” says Nadia.
Tips for Application:
· Choose your size: small (for corners) or full (for entire lash).
· Apply much like false lashes, but remember to test them out beforehand.
· Make sure to cut and alter lashes to fit the length and width of your eye shape.
· Extremely careful application is required due to the delicate nature of the paper.
For more information on eyelash trends and products, visit Envy Derm.
PageDaily is celebrating fashion week with an amazing giveaway including tickets to Pamella Roland’s presentation!
All you need to do is Like us on Facebook for a chance to win!
The value is over $1250 of goodies that include the following:
- 2 tickets to Pamella Roland‘s Fashion Week Presentation
- $300 gift card from edit New York
- $200 Beauty & Essex gift card
- Ippolita Bangle
- Riller & Fount Wrap and Top
- Essie Fall Nail Collection
- tarte radiant &rested volume II kit
The winner will be announced on our Facebook page Friday, September 9th.
Know a fashion-obsessed friend? Share this with them!
It’s back-and better than ever. In it’s 3rd-year, Fashion’s Night Out, where thousands of retailers across the country stay open late for the ultimate shopping party of food, drinks-and of course to celebrate fashion. This all-out extravaganza will hit New York City on Thursday, September 8th, a prelude to New York Fashion Week (September 9th, 10th & 12th).
With debuts from J Brand and Chanel, to celebrity appearances from Heidi Klum, Rachel Zoe, Joss Stone, Ne-Yo, The Real Housewives of New York; and to top-it-off, Vera Wang in an ice cream truck, this is one star-studded event you won’t want to miss.
Here are the events you’ll want to check out in New York, LA, Miami, Dallas, and Chicago:
Topshop, 478 Broadway between Broadway and Broome
- Teamed up with Vogue Magazine, top models Chanel Iman, Coco Rocha, Karlie Kloss, Abbey Lee, and Charlotte Free will be giving out styling tips for the upcoming season; they will also select their favorite items from Topshop’s AW11 collection, debuting on FNO
- Customers who purchase one of the “favorite items” get the chance to be photographed with their favorite model; pictures will be posted on Tophop’s Facebook page
- Shoppers who spend over $100 will receive a notebook with a print from the AW11 collection on the cover; choose from one of four covers
Bergdorf Goodman, 754 5th Avenue at 58th Street
- Appearance by Michael Kors; Performance by Audrianna Cole
- Oscar de la Renta will be signing his limited edition “Face of Fashion” Fall kaleidoscope palette by Le Métier de Beauté
- Badgley Mischka, Joseph Altuzarra, Lela Rose, and Reem Acra will walk the runway with their furry friends in the Designer Dog Show
Diane von Furstenberg, 874 Washington Street at 14th Street
- Performance by Grammy Winner Estelle; performance features songs off her new album, All of Me
- Sample DVF’s new fragrance, Diane, before it hits stores in October. Enter to win an autographed bottle from Diane herself
Tory Burch, 797 Madison Avenue between 67th & 68th Streets
- Spend $250 or more and get styled by Vogue Editor Jessica Sailer and photographed by Fashion photographer Beau Grealy; chance to be featured on the Tory Blog
- Limited edition tote will be given to everyone who makes a $100 purchase
DKNY, 655 Madison Avenue between 60th & 61st Streets; 420 West Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Shoppers who spend $250 or more will receive a limited edition tote with a DVD of documentary “Bill Cunningham New York”
- Complimentary popcorn and beer provided by Brooklyn Lager
- Complimentary Blind Barber haircuts
Michael Kors, 610 Fifth Avenue at Rockefeller Center
- Appearances by the Rockettes
- Champagne and live music by a guest DJ
- Chance to win denim totes signed by Michael himself
Sephora, 597 5th Avenue between 48th & 49th Streets
- Get all your beauty questions answered by a panel of experts: Vogue Beauty Director Sarah Brown, celebrity hairstylist Oscar Blandi, Founder and Creative Director of Urban Decay Cosmetics Wende Zomnir, and skincare guru Kate Somerville
Sephora Soho, 555 Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Be one of the first 50 customers here and receive a free makeover and a “Stila-Girl” inspired sketch of yourself
Sephora Columbus Circle, 10 Columbus Circle between West 58th & 60th Streets
- Celebrity skin experts Sophie Evans and Fiona Locke of St. Tropez share all their beauty secrets
- Complimentary spray tanning
- Product giveaways- all customers will receive a free gift with a St. Tropez purchase; change to a prize valued at $200
Lord & Taylor, 424 5th Avenue between East 38th and 39th
- Wear This, Not That author Suze Yalof Schwartz answers all your style questions. Enter to win a $1,000 shopping spree
- Singer/Songwriter Solange Knowles will be DJing. Meet her and receive a photo
- Meet Ivanka Trump and receive a photo
Macy’s Herald Square, 151 West 34th Street at 6th Avenue
- Gucci Guilty Dance Party with Samantha Ronson
- Appearances by Tommy Hilfiger, Coco Rocha, America’s Next Top Model Judge J. Alexander, Bobbi Brown, Anna Dello Russo, Karolina Kurkova, and Rachel Roy
- Live musical performance by Joss Stone
Saks Fifth Avenue, 611 5th Avenue at 49th Street
- The Chronicles of Narnia, Tilda Swinton will be making an appearance with Pringle of Scotland designer Alistair Carr and Central Saint Martins’ Louise Wilson
- Hat signing and performance by Ne-Yo
- Win a $10,00 Fall Shopping Spree from StyleList, visit: stylelist.com/saks/
Victoria’s Secret, 591 Broadway between Houston and Prince Streets
- Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Erin Heatherton, and Lily Aldridge will be offering customer makeovers, photo opportunities and a fragrance preview
L’Occitane, 48 9th Avenue at 14th Street; 146 Spring Street between Wooster St & Broadway
- Complimentary chilled rosé
- Complimentary hand massages
- Riviera-inspired tote bag filled with the brands most essential beauty goodies
QVC, 428 Broadway between Howard & Canal Streets
- Meet QVC Designers as they discuss fashion, beauty and trends
- Try on the latest fashion and accessories in the Rowenta fashion closet
- Heidi Klum is unveiling her new jewelry line for QVC, WILDLIFE by Heidi Klum
Bloomingdale’s, Soho, 504 Broadway between Spring and Broome
- Appearance by Rachel Zoe; her recent clothing line The Rachel Zoe Collection is available for purchase
- Appearance by Erin Wasson and her capsule collection for Zadig & Voltaire
- A truth or lie game told to shoppers; hosted by Bono’s Wife, Ali Hewson
Helmut Lang, 93 Mercer Street at Spring Street
- Live performance by indie band Best Coast
- Food by Luke’s Lobster; Drinks by Death + Company
- An interactive digital photo booth will livestream images from store onto helmutlang.com
La Maison du Chocolat, 30 Rockefeller Plaza at 49th Street; 1018 Madison Avenue between 78th & 79th Streets
- La Maison du Chocolat will be hosting a chocolate ganache tasting
New York & Company, 715 Lexington Avenue between 57th St & 58th Streets
- Shop, eat and take pictures with the cast of The Real Housewives of New York City, Countess LuAnn de Lesseps, Kelly Killoren Bensimon and Ramona Singer
- Music by DJ Steve Powers
Patricia Field, 302 Bowery between E Houston & Bleecker Streets
- Meet designers V.O.N., Seville Michelle Anastos, Phillipe & David Blond, and Zana Bayne
- Receive special gift bags and be included a prize raffle
- Vodka cocktails will be served; party goes until 1am
Rebecca Taylor, 34 Gansevoort Street between Hudson & Greenwich Streets
- Jams provided by Brooklyn band AVAN LAVA along with DJ performances by Narcisse & Fischerspooner’s Ian Pai & Le Chev
- Enter the “Who Wore it Best” contest from 7pm-9pm to win 2 tickets to a Rebecca Taylor Fashion Show
- Blooming Cake Pops and Svedka vodka cocktails will be served
Scott J Aveda. Salonspa, 242 East 86th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenue
- Free Hair Care Consultations, Makeup Touch Ups, and Hand Treatments
- Be one of the first 50 guest and receive an AVEDA Product Gift and a voucher for a complimentary hair treatment with your next service
Vera Wang, 158 Mercer Street between Prince & W Houston Streets
- Vera Wang and her team will peruse NYC in their customized Mister Softee truck; giving out free ice cream
- Shopping incentives and giveaways available
Worth & Worth, 45 West 57th Street between Fifth & Avenue of the Americas
- Great Gatsby themed Gala including build your own hat event, celebrity hat auction, cocktails, live music, photo booth, and more
Madison Avenue Spy Fashion Hunt, shops between 57th & 86th Streets
- The ultimate scavenger hunt-shoppers are invited to attend and tweet pictures from a list of events happening at retailers on Madison Avenue (between 57th-86th streets). Shoppers who complete three tasks will be directed to a secret Madison Avenue location where they will be awarded with prizes and champagne
- Chance to win from leading brands like Betsey Johnson, Juicy Couture, La Perla; for officials rules, visit madisonavenuespy.com
Manolo Blahnik, 31 West 54th New York NY 10019
- Sarah Jessica Parker and Manolo Blahnik USA invite you to celebrate Fashion’s Night Out on September 8th at their boutique where they will unveil a special shoe Sarah Jessica teamed up with Manolo in designing.
- In toasting this very special collaboration a van will be tooting around the city with Manolo’s favorite treat—milkshakes.
- Milkshakes and Manolos, what could be better! A portion of the proceeds will go to The Fund for Public Schools.
The Beverly Center, 8500 Beverly Boulevard
- This star-studded Luxury Fashion Show hosted by Nicole Richie will feature the trendiest fall looks. Expect to see an abundance of A-listers, press, and fashion editors
Alice + Olivia, 134 South Robertson Boulevard
- This carnival-inspired theme block party makes you feel like a kid again with sno-cones, cotton candy, games and raffles
ADBD Space (Paul Frank Pop-Up Shop), 8246 Beverly Blvd
- This retro-inspired disco themed party hosted by Paul Frank and Red Light PR is complete with a pop-up shop, henna tattoos, and a custom photobooth. Taryn Manning will be Djing the event. Don’t miss out on the fully stocked candy bar and drinks all night
City Style Collective, 695 North Miami Avenue
- 30 of Miami’s hottest acts from fashion and beauty will be participating in this pop-up shop event. This jammed-packed event will feature mini-make-overs, hair touch-ups, photo shoots, dancing, live entertainment, and music provided by DJ Rob Di Nero
Galleria Dallas, 13350 Dallas Parkway Suite 3080
- Participating retailers here are offering a ton of deals and freebies: Prosecco and Italian specialty cocktails at Gucci, photo sessions at Saks Fifth Avenue taken by an Estée Lauder photography artist; free wristlet with your purchase of $150 at Dooney & Bourke
Oak Street Shops, Oak Street between Michigan Avenue and State Street
- Drink and meet the designers of Henry & Belle Denim Company all while receiving a 20% discount; Ashley Zisook, owner of Sofia and her stylists will be offering champagne, discounts and giveaways. First 500 guests receive a FNO tote bag. All shoppers will receive one raffle ticket with every purchase at a participating store
Shopping for a cause: NYC AIDS Fund is the official charity of Fashion Night Out where 40% of proceeds from sales of the limited edition FNO t-shirts ($25), long-sleeved shirts ($30), caps ($15), and totes ($50) will be donated. The collection is available at various retailers and major department stores and online at fashionsnightout.com/collection
Barneys will be donating 10% of its FNO sales at the Barneys Madison Avenue store (and 10% of Barneys.com sales) to the National September 11th Memorial & Museum.
By Jennifer Wright
5 boroughs + 700 retailers = 1 huge party!
Over 700 fashion retailers across New York City recently stayed open late hosting one chic shindig—Fashion’s Night Out—hoping to drum up business. I heard someone liken the evening to devouring an entire box of chocolates all at once. Delightful and dizzying. A few tasty morsels: One member of the Vogue brain trust, Creative Director Grace Coddington, was literally fending off wolves at Prada. And she was mobbed by autograph hounds as she patiently signed Fashion’s Night Out memorabilia. (Presumably Anna Wintour was still in Queens!)
Designer Elie Tahari, who hosted a performance by Alexa Ray Joel at his Soho store, was a tad dubious about the impact of Fashion’s Night Out: “Well, even a kick in the backside is a good thing if you’re facing the right direction.” -Jennifer Wright.
During the recent Fashion’s Night Out—the undisputed kick-off to Fashion Week—I heard someone describe the evening as akin to eating an entire box of delicious chocolates all at once. Delightful, absolutely, but also overwhelming, heart-pounding and dizzying. For this Global Celebration of Fashion, event hosts Vogue, the Council of Fashion Designers of America and the City of New York encouraged every fashion retailer in the five boroughs to open their doors to anyone and everyone. Over 700 organizations responded with a kaleidoscope of offerings.
If you, sadly, could not attend, allow AskMelissa to offer some of the juiciest morsels for your consideration:
Like many who can be swayed by dessert, Bergdorf’s CEO Jim Gold was looking for the free cupcakes. (Here is a man who could capture my heart.) At his store, he was excited to welcome Top Chef’s Padma Lakshmi, who was judging a celebrity cook-off. He noted that Lakshmi’s was, by far, the event he was most looking forward to. André Leon Talley and the Olsen Twins were also appearing at Bergdorf’s to ramp up the fashion excitement – hopefully Gold was at least somewhat excited about their presence, too.
Then in walked Victoria Beckham. She was not only loving Fashion’s Night Out and Bergdorf’s participation, but she was incredibly excited about the premiere of Gossip Girl‘s (the best show ever!) third season, which she’s “obsessed with.” Us, too!
Harper’s Bazaar editor Glenda Bailey was supportive of Bergdorf and the event, stating, “We do recognize how important the shows are, and we want to be out helping designers.” That said, she noted that every member of Harper’s editorial team would be going her own way during the evening. Perhaps this event is simply Vogue’s brainchild after all, not the darling of the whole fashion magazine community.
However, one member of the Vogue brain trust, Grace Coddington, was literally fending off the wolves at Prada.
A mob of people surrounded her as she patiently signed Fashion’s Night Out memorabilia – everything from T-shirts to flyers. (Presumably Anna Wintour was still in Queens!) Obviously, we’re not the only ones who fell in love with the creative director from The September Issue documentary.
Designer Elie Tahari, who hosted a performance by Alexa Ray Joel at his Soho store, was a tad dubious about the impact of Fashion’s Night Out, remarking somewhat bluntly, “Well, even a kick in the backside is a good thing if you’re facing the right direction.” Perhaps he was just distracted and exhausted after preparing for his safari-themed show earlier that day?
We tried to snap pictures of the new shoe designs at Louboutin’s (the collection will be released to the general public in the next few weeks) but were thwarted by a zealous security guard, who may have thought we were trying to copy the looks rather than just fondle the shoes, as any enthusiast would! We can tell you, however, that there are a lot of studs in Louboutin’s immediate future. For now, you will have to make do with this picture of the store’s live action window display.
Perhaps the highlight of our evening was Vogue‘s European editor-at-large Hamish Bowles belting out Noel Coward tunes at the Juicy Couture flagship store on Fifth Avenue, claiming that his jazz-hands-inspired performance was an “anti-Susan Boyle movement.” No one could ever accuse him of singing while frumpy. The throng surrounding him made it impossible to take a good picture, but we did catch some other appropriately garbed attendees at the store.
Has this put you in the mood for more Fashion Week sightings? We expect so! Diane Von Furstenberg is optimistic that the night’s festivities will become an annual tradition, adding interest to all the designer shows. Let’s hope that next year is just as scrumptious.
The Catwalk, Yeah
AskMelissa hit the highlights of Fashion Week.
• Custo Barcelona rocked an amazing show—great music, high-energy and packed! Society darling Tinsley Mortimer (could she be anything else with a name like that?!) was mobbed by photographers and reporters.
• Zang Toi‘s was an intimate presentation. Ivana Trump, Miss Universe Stefania Fernandez and composer Lucia Hwong Gordon adorned the front row. As the exquisite fabrics, beads, sequins and tassels flounced by, we hummed, “What a girl wants, what a girl needs . . .”
• At Alice + Olivia, Jill Zarin confided her disappointment at missing Zang—busy filming the Real Housewives. She joined Kelly Bensimon at Alice + Olivia’s celebrity-studded West Village location. Shenae Grimes, Lindsay Lohan, Kristin Cavallari, Jared Leto and Heather Graham showed up, while French girl band The Plastiscines performed.
• Jill Stuart was a scene—literally, as Real Housewives was filming there. The dresses were micro mini’s and fun, as was Bensimon’s ensemble—a leather mini with suede over-the-knee flat boots and a gorgeous bracelet from her new jewelry collection.
• Tory Burch was the collection to see. Anna Wintour showed up and stopped traffic. She then had Burch take her through the collection—more solids than we’ve seen her do before, but her signature fun prints made it into this very wearable collection.
The Good, the Bad and the Bizarre
Fashion Week had something for everyone.
Betsey Johnson remains incomparable. I loved her show at the Plaza, where she performed her customary cartwheels while models milled about in cotton-candy-pink dresses and guests guzzled pink champagne. Johnson garnered more than one comparison to Kay Thompson’s Eloise. Then, there was Thom Brown. The man in the shiny silver suit with the tutu and the headband. Why, Thom Brown? Why? Some oddities, however, are strangely delightful—like the Snuggie fashion show held at the Park Avenue Hotel. This object-of-fashion-derision blanket-with-sleeves (though, as one of their organizers sternly pointed out, Snuggies are So. Much. More.) previewed tie-dye and leopard prints for spring. Also, Snuggies for dogs. So ridiculous as to be irresistible. But, whether good or bad (and we will never say ugly), Fashion Week is always thrilling! —J.W.
Carmen Marc Valvo broadcast his show for all to see. While Betsey Johnson may not have succeeded in staging her fantasy “open to the public” runway in Madison Square Garden (next year, Betsey?), Valvo came close, televising his show on three jumbo-trons above Times Square. The glitter-and-gold-clad models were preening at the cocktail party inside the NASDAQ, as Valvo explained his look as modern armor for the urban jungle.
Betsey Johnson remains incomparable. I loved her show at the Plaza, where she performed her customary cartwheels for the guests while models milled about in cotton-candy-pink dresses and guests guzzled pink champagne. Johnson garnered more than one comparison to Kay Thompson’s Eloise.
Phillip Lim, Donna Karan and Milly, among others, donated items to a charity auction for MyGoodDeed, a 9/11 service organization. Especially timely given that our fun-filled Fashion Week kicked off on September 11th.
I understood when Axe deodorant established an Axe Lounge in Southhampton for the summer, where frat boys could hit on scantily clad women—it seemed to cater perfectly to their target market. But what prompted them to give out samples of their “rare leather” scent in lieu of gift-bags at the Duckie Brown show? One of the stylish gay men in attendance pondered aloud why he’d want to smell like his sofa, while another fashionista declared that she only wears Chanel No. 5.
Some oddities are strangely delightful though—like the Snuggie fashion show! Held at the Park Avenue Hotel, this object of fashion derision blanket-with-sleeves (though, as one of their organizers sternly pointed out, Snuggies are So. Much. More.) displayed new tie-dye and leopard prints for spring. Also snuggies for dogs. So ridiculous as to be irresistible.
MC Hammer pants are back? Yigal Azrouel seems to think so. I’ll believe it when I see Katie Lee Joel sporting a pair.
The skirts at the otherwise delightful Michael Angel show were so short that more than one spectator was mooned by the models. If girls with bodies that perfect can’t keep the skirts down, how are normal women expected to?
Thom Brown. The man in the shiny silver suit with the tutu and the headband. Why, Thom Brown? Why?
But, whether good or bad (and we will never say ugly), Fashion Week is always one of the most thrilling reasons to be in New York. Now it is six long months until March—we can barely wait!