While Labor Day marks the end of summer, we all like to try and continue our healthy lifestyle for the Fall! In honor of national organic month, we have listed some our favorite edibles that happen to be certified organic AND delicious:
Keen-Wah Decadence Coconut Almond (Box of 12), $34.95
This yummy protein bar was created to help you power through your day! Whether you’re working out or on-the-go, you will feel good eating these because you’re fueling your body with nothing but the best all-natural ingredients. The bar is made from quinoa, which is nature’s answer to vegan and gluten-free protein. And the taste? Imagine the Almond Joy you loved as a kid made with healthy, organic ingredients. We promise…the same nostalgic taste is still there. Also comes in other great flavors!
From the same liquor company that brought us Grand Marnier, comes the Lapostolle winery, a completely organic operation producing wines that are as delicious as they are environmentally friendly. Their grapes are raised 100% organically and even the packaging is environmentally conscious with the bottles being made from recycled glass and the labels and boxes coming from sustainable forests. It also makes the perfect eco-chic hostess gift.
Cascadian Farm Granola, $6.49
Once you have tried this granola, it’s easier leaving those breakfast pastries and calorie-rich bagels behind! Cascadian Farm’s pride themselves on being organic before organic was even trendy. Their mission is to keep your body healthy while also keeping the environment healthy. They have seven different yummy granola flavors that also make a delicious topper for your Greek yogurt in the morning.
Pom Acai Bar, $9.25
Satisfy your chocolate craving without the guilt! Gnosis offers an organic line of raw vegan chocolates that are not only tasty, but they have a holistic purpose behind them as well. The yummy Pomegrante Acai flavor featured here helps your body detox. These hand made chocolates are free of refined sugar, cholesterol, gluten, dairy and soy, making them a healthy option.
It’s summer and everyone’s talking about beach bodies and bathing suits (yep, guilty as charged!). But every now and then you have to treat yourself to some sweet, sticky, melt-in-your-mouth candy. So, in celebration of National Candy Month (happening now!) and our 10th birthday (also happening now with great deals and more), we’re bringing you 10 delicious and healthier substitutes to your favorite candies!
After all, it’s kind of…mean that National Candy Month is in the middle of prime bikini season.
Try: Florida’s Natural Organic Pocket Fruit Sticks ($4.89/pack of 12)
If You Love: Fruit Roll-ups, Gushers
A great on-the-go snack for the whole family, Florida’s Natural Organic Pocket Fruit Sticks are just 40 calories with 0 grams of fat.
If you really like fruit roll-ups or are prone to indulging in your kids’ sweets, these organic fruit rolls are perfect to toss into everyone’s lunch bags—they provide the sweetness of dried fruit, plus they’re gluten free! Choose from Orange, Blueberry or Strawberry.
Try: Almond M&M’s (M&Ms.com, $2.95)
If You Love: Plain M &Ms, Chocolate-Covered Nuts
Sometimes you just have to have the real thing (and there’s no true way to replace an M&M). So, you’re allowed to indulge with Almond M&M’s. Almonds are well-known for their healthy benefits: lowering cholesterol and the risk of heart disease and diabetes. And although this snack has a pretty high calorie count (220/serving), sometimes the good fats (and the good tastes) are worth it.
Really a peanut girl? Dark Chocolate Peanut M&M’s have the same calorie count per serving, and dark chocolate does have antioxidants!
Try: Yummy Earth Organic Lollipops ($3.99/.5lb on NaturalCandyStore.com)
If You Love: Lollipops, Sucking candies
There is nothing like a lollipop. Lucky for you, Yummy Earth’s Organic Lollipops are a healthier alternative to the traditional high-fructose, bubble-gum infused lollipops of yore.
Yep, just 70 calories for three lollipops and 0 grams of fat, these gluten-free, vegan treats are simply delick-ious! And in flavors like pomegranate, blood orange, watermelon or (a more sophisticated) chili lime, you’re sure to please everyone’s palettes. Purchase individual flavors or a variety pack (see above).
Try: Detour Whey Protein Bar in Caramel Peanut ($3.29)
If You Love: Snickers, Twix, anything with nougat
Candy bars, a.k.a. a staple of our youth, are nearly impossible to pass up—Halloween has been a downfall of many a diet (mmm, how many fun-size Snickers equal a full-size again?!). If you are craving a classic candy bar, try Detour’s Whey Protein Bar in Caramel Peanut.
Aside from great taste, get the benefits of whey protein (it’s an appetite suppressant, stabilizes glucose levels, and contains very little fat or carbs)—it’ll also save you from the sugar crashes and cravings that normal candy bars cause. Available in a variety of flavors, these are great for active ladies who are looking to build muscle/reduce fat but don’t eat meat or have time to make a protein shake after a workout.
Try: Hershey’s Sugar Free Jolly Ranchers (Kmart, $1.90)
If You Love: Jolly Ranchers, Hard Candy
Sometimes sugar-free candy is an absolute necessity, especially with juvenile diabetes on the rise. And aside from being sans sugar, Hershey’s sugar-free products also boast about 20% less calories and come in great bite-sized packages.
So go ahead and enjoy a few Jolly Ranchers—four pieces come in at a mere 35 calories! Hershey’s also offers sugar-free varieties in Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, York Peppermint Patties, Jolly Ranchers, Twizzlers, Hershey’s Milk Chocolate and Hershey’s Caramel-Filled Chocolates!
Try: Bissinger’s Lemon Ginger Yuzu Gummy Pandas ($5)
If You Love: Gummy Bears
Bissinger’s Lemon Ginger Yuzu Gummy Pandas with natural sweeteners are a healthier alternative to traditional gummy bears. With 0 grams of fat and 130 Calories per 16 pieces, these chewy treats make for an awesome, flavorful snack.
The lemon ginger option offers a grown-up tang along with a good ol’ dose of Vitamin C. There are several different flavors to choose from, including Blueberry Acai and Apricot Green Tea!
Try: Figamajigs ($23.85/ Box of 15)
If You Love: Chocolate-Covered Cherries/Fruit
For ladies who are looking to eat healthier, Figamajigs are the perfect snack. Not only are they 100% fat free, but they contain a fruity, good-for-ya fig covered in luscious dark chocolate.
Providing all the antioxidant power of figs, including regulating the digestive system, dark Figmajigs are more than a reduced calorie treat.
Try: Surf Sweets Organic Jelly Beans ($1.79 on LuckyVitamin.com)
If You Love: Jelly Beans
The mere thought of the JellyBelly Factory is mouth-watering. …But eating a pound of jelly beans isn’t the healthiest decision. Opt for an organic jelly bean instead, made with fruit juice and organic sweeteners.
Surf Sweets Organic Jelly Beans also provide 100% of your daily recommended Vitamin C. With flavors like cherry, grapefruit, grape, lemon, strawberry and orange at 130 calories per serving, how can you go wrong?
Try: Gayle’s Miracles Chocolate Truffle Snack Pack ($9.99)
If You Love: Truffles, Milk Chocolate
Craving the sweet, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate goodness that is a truffle? Coming in at only 30 calories per truffle, Gayle’s Miracles Chocolate Truffle Snack Pack means you can definitely afford to treat your sweet tooth with a little dessert.
Try: Labrada Nutrition Rockin’ Roll Nut Roll, Nutty Peanut 12 ea ($23.49 on drugstore.com)
If You Love: Pay Days
Nuts about chocolate? No worries, Labrada’s Rockin’ Roll Nut Roll is a great way to enjoy the classic candy bar without the classic guilt that usually accompanies it. This better-for-you bar features tons of protein, good fats and only 2 grams of sugar in one chewy, chocolaty disguise.
Image Credit: Sheckys.com
|Sheckys.com lets you share your man’s mystifying moments, get easy tips for the healthiest, happiest and most fashionable you, discover our Girls Night Out events and more, all while earning OMG Points toward free goodies!|
Goodbye granola, hello glamour. Just because you shop eco-friendly doesn’t mean you need to compromise on style! Who says that environmentally conscious products need to be made of hemp and colored in straw tones? Today, it is just as easy to be eco-conscious as eco-chic. In honor of Earth Day this month, here are my top picks for fun and fabulous, environmentally friendly products.
Josie Maran Make-Up: I love this earth-friendly beauty line because it features pure and gentle cosmeticsin an abundant array of colors and textures. Products are made with Moroccan Argan oil, an organic ingredient known to help and prevent dehydration, inflammation, and hyper-pigmentation. The oil is rich in Vitamin E and essential fatty acids, which have anti-aging properties. Formulas are packed with botanical ingredients, and products are packaged with recyclable and biodegradable materials.
1. Josie Maran Beautiful Lips Collection: This collection has a $98 value and includes Josie’s best selling Magic Marker Lip & Cheek Stains and Natural Volume Lip Glosses. The stains come in Waltz (soft berry rose) and Quickstep (soft mauvy rose), and the glosses come in Optimism (sheer shimmering golden beige), Precious (sheer petal pink), and Voluptuous (sheer plum wine). For an added bonus, a deluxe sample size of Argan Oil is included the collection.
Buy Now, $42
2. Josie Maran Argan Eye Love You Too Palette: This limited-edition palette contains eight Argan-infused eye shadows in natural tones complementary to anyone’s eye color and complexion. The palette also comes with an easy-to-follow, how-to card from Josie herself, featuring step-by-step instructions on how to create the ideal day and night looks.
Buy Now, $42
3. Fashionation’s Foldable Speakers: These foldable speakers pump up the glam with their great sounds and fun designs. My daughter has her eye on the leopard print! Made from recycled materials, these speakers require no batteries and fold flat for convenient storage and portability. They are also quite affordable and universally compatible with iPods, MP3 players, laptops and more. LOVE it!
Buy now, $14.99
4. Hanky Panky Earth Day Cami & Boyshort: Green is the new black when it comes to this sexy and comfortable lingerie. The cami and boyshort are super soft and made with organically grown cotton jersey. Adorned with cotton lace and rosettes, these pieces are as adorable as they are environmentally friendly. The design, color and feel of the fabric make these fab pieces a perfect addition to your lingerie closet. They will definitely be added to mine!
Buy Now – Cami $39
5. Aveda Light the Way Candle: Made from 100% naturally derived soy wax and infused with organic lavender, the Aveda limited-edition candle is more than just another green product that smells great—it’s charitable as well. 100% of the proceeds go to Global Greengrants, a group that funds projects to help protect water rights and access around the world.
Buy Now, $12
6. Recycled Auto Glass- Wine Glasses: What better way to drink wine than from a stemless glass made from unique yet wonderfully worn automotive glass? The design is modern and chic, and each glass is a one-of-a-kind in its own way with air bubbles and varying thicknesses and textures. They are sturdy and strong with a slight green hue—just like that of a windshield. These glasses are so cool!
Buy Now, $28
7. Kiss My Face Peace Soap: I love this all natural and all purpose Castile Soap that comes in various scents like grassy mint and lavender mandarin! It cleaned my countertops, removed a stain from a chair, and was great in the shower. It is also available as a foaming pump soap (my kids are big fans). Green and charitable too, 10% of the profits are donated to Seeds of Peace to benefit young people in regions of conflict.
Buy Now, $15.99
8. Cygalle Sea Pearl Elixir: A new favorite of mine, this all natural moisturizing serum has a lovely light texture and mild scent. Made of seaweed, coconut extract, cucumber,and palm tree origin, the Cygalle Healing Spa Sea Pearl Elixir is the perfect warm weather moisturizer because of its non-oily base. The moisturizer gives your skin a gorgeous glow and enhances its elasticity. It also boasts a slew of B vitamins, which help prevent premature aging. It can also be used under your existing moisturizer for added benefits. Fans of Cygalle’s Healing Spa products include Kate Hudson, Helena Christensen, David Blaine and Rosario Dawson.
Buy Now $25 (2oz) and $75 (8oz)
Help fight world hunger with this stylish, reversible FEED 1 bag designed by Lauren Bush and made of sustainable burlap and organic cotton twill. The beaded version, FEED 2 Kenya Bag, is sold exclusively at Bergdorf’s (212.753.7300) for $195.00. Each bag sold provides meals for an entire school year for one to two children in need.
Purchase FEED 1 Bag.