NYFW Spring 2013 Fashion Trends
New York Fashion Week is now behind us and the verdict is in: whether you’re into the 60’s, 90’s, or any era in between, there is an inspiration point for you in many of Spring 2013’s collections. From sporty shows like rag & bone and Milly to cheeky collections nodding to Helmut Newton, Spring 2013 is filled with some fun trends.
Rachel Roy: What Every Woman Needs in Her Wardrobe PLUS Travel, Style and Beauty Must-haves
Rachel Roy is a dynamic fashion designer whose pieces have been seen on every leading lady from Michelle Obama, Diane Sawyer, Jennifer Garner, Penelope Cruz and Kate Hudson. I met Rachel at a recent event and was blown away by her support of entrepreneurial women and charity. The gorgeous native Californian, whose personal beauty shines through every one of her designs has worked in the fashion industry since her teenage years as a sales girl– which she calls her early market research! Before designing her own line, she styled magazine shoots, music videos and was creative director for Rocawear. Since the launch of her Rachel Roy line in Spring 2005, Rachel has had a whirlwind of success including being inducted into the CFDA, appearing on Oprah, and launching RACHEL Rachel Roy, a diffusion line sold exclusively at Macy’s. Rachel shared with me what she has been up to lately and offered some of her best tips and products picks!
MM: You have a very interesting background. How has that influenced you as a designer?
RR: I’ve always loved fashion and taking risks in both what I wear and what I design as this has been a guiding principle for me. I’ve never let fear paralyze me but rather let my passion drive me. One of my goals is to help other women realize this as well.
MM: We are so excited about your new collection, what was your inspiration for FW 2012?
RR: My fall 2012 collection is inspired by the documentary Women in the Dirt which highlights the works of seven award- winning women who have made their mark in the field of landscape architecture and are changing our world. From this, the idea of modern landscape architecture and the influence of nature was really interesting to me– balancing the clean lines of landscapes and natural colors and interesting material combinations and details.
MM: What are 3 items you always have on hand during fashion week?
RR: Yoga mat- I practice yoga two to three times a week. The meditation helps me stay centered. Music- it’s one of the quickest routes to dream and always inspires me. Candles- the comforting and continuous glow of a Jo Malone candle while I work is a must.
MM: How do you unwind after such a whirlwind week?
RR: Take a breath, thank my staff and then off for some R & R. First I sleep and then I have a proper meal since I have been living off coffee and sugar for the past two weeks preparing for the show. I’ll spend some quality time with my daughters, visit the Caudalie Vinotherapie Spa at the Plaza Hotel for one of my favorite facial treatments, and lounge at home and watch re-runs of The Office or Modern Family. Then it’s right back into designing the next collection!
9 Trends to Watch from Fashion Week: Fall 2012
During Fashion Week it’s easy to get side-tracked with celeb sightings, crazy street style and after parties! The shows and presentations are a big production and what they are really all about is forecasting next season’s trends! We saw a ton of chic looks and put together our list of the biggest trends for Fall Winter 2012. From feminine menswear and fabulous furs, to sophisticated cut outs and sensual pleats, we can’t wait for another fall to arrive!
The Best Shopping Sites
We hunted down the best and most innovative sites to get all your shopping needs done in a fast, convenient way.
TheFind & The Find Mobile APP – TheFind lets you quickly locate anything you’re interested in from a selection of 500,000 stores from Amazon and eBay, to mom-and-pop online shops, and everything in between. Due to its enormous database of products, TheFind allows you to see all of the available buying options for that product available online and in your local store; so you’ll be sure to get the best price possible. TheFind Mobile APP is a free shopping APP that can scan barcodes and QR codes; helping you quickly and easily discover the best price on an item you’re interested in buying. Other great features-user reviews are available and you can also run a text search to see if an item is available in your nearby location.
ModaOperandi – Customers are able to pre-order the latest runway fashions from such designers as Derek Lam, Rag & Bone, Marchesa, and Rachel Roy. So how exactly does this work? A designer presents their fashions on the runway or in a showroom. After the show, M’O shoots photos of the collection. M’O then runs a three-day Trunk show which allows members to pre-order any looks from the designers completed collection (a 50% deposit is required). The designer then produces the pieces that are then sent to M’O for distribution. An added bonus: many of these looks aren’t available in stores; great for those looking for a special event outfit or love one-of-a-kind pieces. Requesting membership is required.
Suddenlee – This free-to-join site allows you to shop from over 300 retailers (Nordstrom, Gap, and Zara, among others) with one transaction, next day affordable shipping, and all purchases being consolidated into one box. This is the only website to offer this service. How Suddenlee works-once a purchase is made, shoppers are dispatched to buy your items and have them delivered to you in a timely and affordable fashion; great for anyone who dreads the typical 3-10 day delivery schedule or expense of having it overnighted. Since Suddenlee is a shopping service and not an actual retailer, they do not offer deals or specials, however, every Monday they provide a list of new sales on their blog. There is a service fee on all orders (fee includes obtaining the items, packing and next day shipping). To view cost, click here. Purchases from the first two stores are included in the standard rate table, $2.50 for each additional store.
Shop It To Me – Forget spending hours trying to find the perfect look- Shop It To Me (free to join) updates you on your favorite brands in your sizes. To start, you begin by filling out a personal profile including your favorite brands, sizes and what you’re shopping for. Then the Shop It To Me team emails you information based on your profile featuring all the best online sales; as oppose to just listing sales that you may not be interested in. Another great feature-you control how often you receive these emails: daily, weekly, or twice a week. Shop It To Me is a sale aggregator, which means that you make all purchases directly from the brand or retailer. So how does Shop It To Me differ from other sites?- it takes all the work out of having to scour numerous websites for the rights items and sizes and finding coupon codes and sales; great for those with hectic schedules.When you join, you can get a $10 gift card to your favorite retailer for every 10 friends you get to join.
Bloom – Never again will you have to worry about buying the wrong cosmetics. This free-to-join “social beauty” site gives you the best products that have been most recommended for women by women with your interests and concerns. The Best4You recommendations is a list of product suggestions that are broken up into categories (cleansers, hair-care, make-up, bath & body). Once you choose your category, it asks you about your skin type, sensitivity, complexion type and eye color; a fool-proof way to get the right product every time. Bloom is a great site for those who love deals- consumers get 10% back on all beauty purchases that can be put toward purchasing any products. Customers also receive a BloomBox gift with every purchase filled with samples and products customized to fit your individual beauty needs. Now until the end of October, Bloom is running a “Share The Beauty” campaign where members are encouraged to invite 10 or more friends to join Bloom for an instant $20 gift code for use on a future purchase of $40 or more on the site.
Shop My Label – This new website lets anyone over the age of 14 to become an online seller (no sales experience required) without having to pay any start up fees, purchase any inventory or create your own website. Members create their own boutiques by choosing merchandise from roughly 1,000 retailers and merchants from the Shop My Label inventory. Once items are chosen, the store is then promoted through Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and You Tube. Members have the freedom to choose items that they either personally like or are geared more towards their audience. Shopkeepers will get a 5% commission on each sale and perks for getting others to join; great for creative types and those looking to make a little extra income.
Fab – This flash sale site acts as a distribution channel for emerging, independent, and well-known designers/artists; a great site for those looking for unique home-decor pieces. The site features 3-day flash sales as well as longer-term Pop-Up Shops that stay on the site for a longer period of time (30-45 days). Members of Fab are introduced to at least eight new designers/merchants in each daily email and all items featured on Fab are available for purchase. As opposed to featuring a designers full inventory, Fab focuses on items that are new/in season and offer them at discounted prices. An added bonus: members are also allowed to upload photos of designs they like in a section called “inspiration.” Request membership required.
StyleBook App – The best way to a clutter-free closet starts here. This iPhone App ($3.99) lets you track your style inspirations, organize your clothes, create outfits and mood boards, and keeps track of your outfits on a daily calendar.
10 Perfect Holiday Dresses
One of the reasons I love the holidays as much as I do is for all of the great party dresses designers roll out! Whether you have cocktail parties, workplace events, or family gatherings coming up, finding the perfect dress can be a challenge. In honor of the season, I selected some great options so you can look and feel your best wherever the holidays take you!
1. Lanvin Sequin Print Cowl Neck dress, BUY NOW, $1890
I love just about anything Lanvin and this dress is perfect for any holiday event you may attend. This sequin-print dress has a modest hemline, cap sleeve, and playful cowl neck—you can wear it to corporate parties, family get-togethers, and everywhere in between. You can rock this same look for less with another one of our favorites, RACHEL Rachel Roy: Ice Capade dress, BUY NOW, $129.
2. Ramy Brook Caftan, BUY NOW, $495
My favorite new designer Ramy Brook does it again! I purchased this fun dress in red to wear at some of my upcoming holiday events. Its asymmetrical (short) hem is flirty and it comes with its own belt that cinches below the waist for a super flattering fit. The dress is really festive in red, but it is also available in several colors!
3. Jay Godfrey Color Block dress, BUY NOW, $365
This one shoulder color block dress is a great party dress for everyone because of its flattering silhouette. Not only does cobalt blue work on all skin tones but the cut works on all body types. Sure you could pair it with black tights and pumps, but for a more holiday feel, go for metallic accents and sparkly accessories.
4. Ali Ro Sequined Lace minidress, BUY NOW, $365
Ali Ro’s mini dress is your quintessential holiday dress! With subtle striping, sequins and lace, could a New Year’s outfit really need more? Okay fine, maybe just a great pair of chandelier earrings, a statement clutch, and tights (if you are ringing in the New Year in the cold).
5. J.Crew Metallic Jacquard dress, BUY NOW, $350
Jacquard is a holiday favorite and must have. This J.Crew style is great for anyone who prefers to show off their natural waist line, as the dress has one sewn in for you. And let’s not forget that this is one of those dresses you can get away with wearing multiple times as it can be styled many different ways (think ankle booties, chunky bangles, and a studded clutch or bordeaux pumps, pendant necklace, and a velvet shoulder bag).
6. Alice & Olivia Wrapped Goddess dress, BUY NOW, $264
The Alice & Olivia Goddess dress will keep you feeling like a Goddess no matter how many hors d’oeuvres you may find yourself eating! The silk chiffon draped mini hides belly bloat and the one shoulder construction is a great way to show off your figure. If you are heading tropical for the holidays, try this style in white or dusty rose. This fab dress is a celebrity favorite and available in a variety of hot colors.
7. Urban Outfitters Cooperative Plumage dress, BUY NOW, $199
This fun dress screams party and we love it for that alone. With a chiffon top and feathered skirt, it’s hard not to want to pair this dress with your favorite spiked-heel dancing shoes.
8. Topshop Reverse Panel Bodycon dress, BUY NOW, $130
The lace panels on this dress make it truly something special, not only do they make for an alluring neckline but the cut outs on the side give any waist great definition. Because this dress has a lot of character, keep your accessories to a minimum–go with a classic timepiece, a simple pair of stud earrings, and a large vintage cocktail ring. Also, try a fun up-do to show off the lace detail!
9. The Limited Color Block dress, BUY NOW, $118
The Limited color block dress is another one of those wardrobe staples. It’s simple enough to act as a great canvas for virtually any styling you may want to add to it. Should you want a belt, go ahead and add it, a chunky necklace, certainly, patterned tights, why not? Have fun with this dress and don’t be afraid to make it your own!
10. BB Dakota Clarissa dress, BUY NOW, $110
Normally floral dresses make you think of spring, but the color palette makes this dress perfect for the holidays. The gorgeous floral pattern looks hand painted and the brush strokes give it a modern update. Love the retro style!
Fashion Week SS2012: Favorite Fashion Round-up
Fashion Week was a whirlwind of outrageous styles, sky-high heels, glamorous parties and celebrity sightings. We spyed Emma Roberts, Alexa Chung, Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Stam, Beyonce, Heidi Klum, Johnny Weir, Nigel Barker, Olivia Palermo, Ramona Singer, Whitney Port, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kelly Rutherford and Kourtney Kardashian, among others. Everyone loves to spot the celebs at Lincoln Center but fashion week is really about the designers and showcasing their new collections for Spring 2012. What shows stuck out in our mind? Read on for our Fashion Week faves!
Zac Posen is known for ultra-feminine and figure-flattering styles (see picture above). This season he went retro chic, too, and we loved it! Flirty dresses in fab prints and colorful solids. No wonder he is a celeb red carpet favorite.
Rag and Bone was sporty with hoods, drawstrings and pops of neon orange. Super young and fresh!
Rebecca Taylor was also a feminine favorite with muted grays, flowy florals and lace cutouts.
We loved Diane von Furstenberg’s use of lace and color blocking. Her clothes were very wearable, as usual!
The Pamella Roland presentation rocked with models that turned up the attitude with dramatic poses and chic shades! Gowns and sequins galore, real Hollywood glamour.
Rachel Roy’s last look was absolutely breathtaking: a fabulous blue dress with a dramatic back was our hands-down favorite.
Models at Elie Tahari donned tailored pieces paired with gladiator boot-sandals for a Greco-Roman look. Tailored and at the same time feminine.
Ralph Lauren was total modern elegance. Think silk pastels with feather and sequin accents…very Spring!
This year Christian Siriano’s collection was his signature oversized chiffon ruffles and edgy footwear meets J.Crew-esque nautical striped tees. (PS, Did you know you can get wearable versions of his glam shoes at Payless?)
Jill Stuart used lots of pastels including pale coral, yellow and blue. There was a great mixture of pants, dresses, flowy skirts and silk fabrics in solids and soft ethereal prints (lots of Hermes orange too!).
Yigal Azrouel’s contemporary line Cut25 used color blocking to create a line of flawless casual basics. Sporty, clean lines reminiscent of 80’s surf culture.
Narciso Rodriguez’ collection was full of graphic prints, pretty below-the-knee shift dresses and lavender. Feminine and modern.
Donna Karan featured tribal prints and flattering fits with lots of a-line styles. Favorite cocktail dress: short purple, one shoulder number with perfect ruching.
Michael Kors went for an African-inspired collection with flowing earth tone fabrics and neutral animal prints. The accessories (bags and belts!) were the highlight.
Prabal Gurung had one of the best collections we have seen! Lots of violet, fabulous use of sheer fabrics and prints, black and white. Simply gorgeous…We want everything!
Helmut Lang is one of our all time favorite designers and this edgy collection did not disappoint. We love his signature use of draping in severe black and white with a splash of daffodil yellow for spring.
Fashion Week Favorite Beauty Round-up
We loved the effortless look with a new “twist” Ted Gibson created for Lela Rose: “The new braid for Spring!” We can actually do this one ourselves.
We think textured, beachy So-Cal hair like the looks created by curl expert Ouidad backstage at Timo Weiland will be an easy trend to create at home this Spring and Summer. Try a loose updo topped with a sporty backwards baseball cap.
We saw a chic, sleek pony styled by Renato Campora for Frederic Fekkai at Marchesa. Dress it up by wrapping a section of hair around ponytail to conceal the band.
The look at Rachel Zoe was a heavy eye with natural lips. The lipstick from her new Exude line was used on the models in Nude.
We are so obsessed with the retro matte eyeshadow topped with black liquid liner we saw backstage at Alice+Olivia, created by Sarah Lucero for Stila on Beauty.com. Perfect!
Buy Now, Stila Matte Eyeshadow, $18
Buy Now, Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner, $20
Brows are going to be huge for Spring! The models at Altuzarra sported minimal makeup but with serious brows created by MAC make-up artists. They were also responsible for the major brows backstage at Proenza Schouler and paired them with pretty flushed cheeks.
Statement-making brows were the theme backstage at Cynthia Rowley too, where Make-up Forever artists used shadow to fill them in.
Brows were a big part of the look created by Francois Nars, founder of NARS cosmetics, for the Marc Jacobs show. A strong brow was paired with major lashes and nude lips inspired by Amy Winehouse.
Buy Now, NARs Eyebrow Pencil, $21
We spotted pretty and preppy pink striped nails at Rebecca Minkoff. To get this look, paint vertical stripes using essie’s bright Pink Parka over essie’s Below the Belt white.
Buy Now, Essie Below the Belt White, $3.44
Sally Hansen’s natural looking Parchment Complete Salon Manicure polish was used to create the natural-looking nails backstage at one of our favorite young designers, Alexander Wang.
Buy Now, Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Polish, $6.99
Poppy red nails looked fresh on the models at Jason Wu. Their nails were polished with OPI’s Monsooner or Later.
Buy Now, OPI Monsooner or Later, $7.50
Check out our backstage photo albums from fashion week on facebook:
Fashion Week Spring 2012
Pamella Roland Presentation
Rachel Roy Presentation
Rachel Zoe Show Backstage
Check out our Fashion Week Flashback: Best Beauty Tips for Fall/Winter 2011:
Limited Edition of Court-side Must-haves Where Fashion Meets Basketball
Style.Power.Rachel Roy.Amar’e Stoudemire.
Shiny jerseys and over-sized basketball shorts are the farthest thing from fashion for court-side divas. But we have good news: representing your favorite basketball team just got a lot more interesting if you are a fashion lover and fan. Fashion designer Rachel Roy and basketball player Amar’e Stoudemire have teamed up to create a pro look for sports-loving fashionistas. The line RACHEL features these athletic-inspired pieces from a mixed media leather & canvas Letterman jacket to a Chicago Bulls “Rocker” tee and more. The pleasantly simple jersey tees along with the heathered sweatshirts are embellished with team logos. With Amar’e’s head in the game and Rachel’s style, this dynamic duo perfectly bridges the look of chic masculine-feminine. These pieces are not only great for looking cool court-side but they are perfect to wear to dinner or a party. The limited edition line is comfortable and casual–I am loving the leather shorts and hooded vest. Prices range from $49.00 to $229.00 with various sizes from extra small to extra large. You can order online from the Rachel Roy on-line store or at Macy’s.
Watch this fun video where Rachel interviews Amar’e and talks about their interesting collaboration:
Photo Credit: Rachel Roy
The Ultimate Party of the Year-Fashion’s Night Out
It’s back-and better than ever. In it’s 3rd-year, Fashion’s Night Out, where thousands of retailers across the country stay open late for the ultimate shopping party of food, drinks-and of course to celebrate fashion. This all-out extravaganza will hit New York City on Thursday, September 8th, a prelude to New York Fashion Week (September 9th, 10th & 12th).
With debuts from J Brand and Chanel, to celebrity appearances from Heidi Klum, Rachel Zoe, Joss Stone, Ne-Yo, The Real Housewives of New York; and to top-it-off, Vera Wang in an ice cream truck, this is one star-studded event you won’t want to miss.
Here are the events you’ll want to check out in New York, LA, Miami, Dallas, and Chicago:
Topshop, 478 Broadway between Broadway and Broome
- Teamed up with Vogue Magazine, top models Chanel Iman, Coco Rocha, Karlie Kloss, Abbey Lee, and Charlotte Free will be giving out styling tips for the upcoming season; they will also select their favorite items from Topshop’s AW11 collection, debuting on FNO
- Customers who purchase one of the “favorite items” get the chance to be photographed with their favorite model; pictures will be posted on Tophop’s Facebook page
- Shoppers who spend over $100 will receive a notebook with a print from the AW11 collection on the cover; choose from one of four covers
Bergdorf Goodman, 754 5th Avenue at 58th Street
- Appearance by Michael Kors; Performance by Audrianna Cole
- Oscar de la Renta will be signing his limited edition “Face of Fashion” Fall kaleidoscope palette by Le Métier de Beauté
- Badgley Mischka, Joseph Altuzarra, Lela Rose, and Reem Acra will walk the runway with their furry friends in the Designer Dog Show
Diane von Furstenberg, 874 Washington Street at 14th Street
- Performance by Grammy Winner Estelle; performance features songs off her new album, All of Me
- Sample DVF’s new fragrance, Diane, before it hits stores in October. Enter to win an autographed bottle from Diane herself
Tory Burch, 797 Madison Avenue between 67th & 68th Streets
- Spend $250 or more and get styled by Vogue Editor Jessica Sailer and photographed by Fashion photographer Beau Grealy; chance to be featured on the Tory Blog
- Limited edition tote will be given to everyone who makes a $100 purchase
DKNY, 655 Madison Avenue between 60th & 61st Streets; 420 West Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Shoppers who spend $250 or more will receive a limited edition tote with a DVD of documentary “Bill Cunningham New York”
- Complimentary popcorn and beer provided by Brooklyn Lager
- Complimentary Blind Barber haircuts
Michael Kors, 610 Fifth Avenue at Rockefeller Center
- Appearances by the Rockettes
- Champagne and live music by a guest DJ
- Chance to win denim totes signed by Michael himself
Sephora, 597 5th Avenue between 48th & 49th Streets
- Get all your beauty questions answered by a panel of experts: Vogue Beauty Director Sarah Brown, celebrity hairstylist Oscar Blandi, Founder and Creative Director of Urban Decay Cosmetics Wende Zomnir, and skincare guru Kate Somerville
Sephora Soho, 555 Broadway between Prince & Spring Streets
- Be one of the first 50 customers here and receive a free makeover and a “Stila-Girl” inspired sketch of yourself
Sephora Columbus Circle, 10 Columbus Circle between West 58th & 60th Streets
- Celebrity skin experts Sophie Evans and Fiona Locke of St. Tropez share all their beauty secrets
- Complimentary spray tanning
- Product giveaways- all customers will receive a free gift with a St. Tropez purchase; change to a prize valued at $200
Lord & Taylor, 424 5th Avenue between East 38th and 39th
- Wear This, Not That author Suze Yalof Schwartz answers all your style questions. Enter to win a $1,000 shopping spree
- Singer/Songwriter Solange Knowles will be DJing. Meet her and receive a photo
- Meet Ivanka Trump and receive a photo
Macy’s Herald Square, 151 West 34th Street at 6th Avenue
- Gucci Guilty Dance Party with Samantha Ronson
- Appearances by Tommy Hilfiger, Coco Rocha, America’s Next Top Model Judge J. Alexander, Bobbi Brown, Anna Dello Russo, Karolina Kurkova, and Rachel Roy
- Live musical performance by Joss Stone
Saks Fifth Avenue, 611 5th Avenue at 49th Street
- The Chronicles of Narnia, Tilda Swinton will be making an appearance with Pringle of Scotland designer Alistair Carr and Central Saint Martins’ Louise Wilson
- Hat signing and performance by Ne-Yo
- Win a $10,00 Fall Shopping Spree from StyleList, visit: stylelist.com/saks/
Victoria’s Secret, 591 Broadway between Houston and Prince Streets
- Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Erin Heatherton, and Lily Aldridge will be offering customer makeovers, photo opportunities and a fragrance preview
L’Occitane, 48 9th Avenue at 14th Street; 146 Spring Street between Wooster St & Broadway
- Complimentary chilled rosé
- Complimentary hand massages
- Riviera-inspired tote bag filled with the brands most essential beauty goodies
QVC, 428 Broadway between Howard & Canal Streets
- Meet QVC Designers as they discuss fashion, beauty and trends
- Try on the latest fashion and accessories in the Rowenta fashion closet
- Heidi Klum is unveiling her new jewelry line for QVC, WILDLIFE by Heidi Klum
Bloomingdale’s, Soho, 504 Broadway between Spring and Broome
- Appearance by Rachel Zoe; her recent clothing line The Rachel Zoe Collection is available for purchase
- Appearance by Erin Wasson and her capsule collection for Zadig & Voltaire
- A truth or lie game told to shoppers; hosted by Bono’s Wife, Ali Hewson
Helmut Lang, 93 Mercer Street at Spring Street
- Live performance by indie band Best Coast
- Food by Luke’s Lobster; Drinks by Death + Company
- An interactive digital photo booth will livestream images from store onto helmutlang.com
La Maison du Chocolat, 30 Rockefeller Plaza at 49th Street; 1018 Madison Avenue between 78th & 79th Streets
- La Maison du Chocolat will be hosting a chocolate ganache tasting
New York & Company, 715 Lexington Avenue between 57th St & 58th Streets
- Shop, eat and take pictures with the cast of The Real Housewives of New York City, Countess LuAnn de Lesseps, Kelly Killoren Bensimon and Ramona Singer
- Music by DJ Steve Powers
Patricia Field, 302 Bowery between E Houston & Bleecker Streets
- Meet designers V.O.N., Seville Michelle Anastos, Phillipe & David Blond, and Zana Bayne
- Receive special gift bags and be included a prize raffle
- Vodka cocktails will be served; party goes until 1am
Rebecca Taylor, 34 Gansevoort Street between Hudson & Greenwich Streets
- Jams provided by Brooklyn band AVAN LAVA along with DJ performances by Narcisse & Fischerspooner’s Ian Pai & Le Chev
- Enter the “Who Wore it Best” contest from 7pm-9pm to win 2 tickets to a Rebecca Taylor Fashion Show
- Blooming Cake Pops and Svedka vodka cocktails will be served
Scott J Aveda. Salonspa, 242 East 86th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenue
- Free Hair Care Consultations, Makeup Touch Ups, and Hand Treatments
- Be one of the first 50 guest and receive an AVEDA Product Gift and a voucher for a complimentary hair treatment with your next service
Vera Wang, 158 Mercer Street between Prince & W Houston Streets
- Vera Wang and her team will peruse NYC in their customized Mister Softee truck; giving out free ice cream
- Shopping incentives and giveaways available
Worth & Worth, 45 West 57th Street between Fifth & Avenue of the Americas
- Great Gatsby themed Gala including build your own hat event, celebrity hat auction, cocktails, live music, photo booth, and more
Madison Avenue Spy Fashion Hunt, shops between 57th & 86th Streets
- The ultimate scavenger hunt-shoppers are invited to attend and tweet pictures from a list of events happening at retailers on Madison Avenue (between 57th-86th streets). Shoppers who complete three tasks will be directed to a secret Madison Avenue location where they will be awarded with prizes and champagne
- Chance to win from leading brands like Betsey Johnson, Juicy Couture, La Perla; for officials rules, visit madisonavenuespy.com
Manolo Blahnik, 31 West 54th New York NY 10019
- Sarah Jessica Parker and Manolo Blahnik USA invite you to celebrate Fashion’s Night Out on September 8th at their boutique where they will unveil a special shoe Sarah Jessica teamed up with Manolo in designing.
- In toasting this very special collaboration a van will be tooting around the city with Manolo’s favorite treat—milkshakes.
- Milkshakes and Manolos, what could be better! A portion of the proceeds will go to The Fund for Public Schools.
The Beverly Center, 8500 Beverly Boulevard
- This star-studded Luxury Fashion Show hosted by Nicole Richie will feature the trendiest fall looks. Expect to see an abundance of A-listers, press, and fashion editors
Alice + Olivia, 134 South Robertson Boulevard
- This carnival-inspired theme block party makes you feel like a kid again with sno-cones, cotton candy, games and raffles
ADBD Space (Paul Frank Pop-Up Shop), 8246 Beverly Blvd
- This retro-inspired disco themed party hosted by Paul Frank and Red Light PR is complete with a pop-up shop, henna tattoos, and a custom photobooth. Taryn Manning will be Djing the event. Don’t miss out on the fully stocked candy bar and drinks all night
City Style Collective, 695 North Miami Avenue
- 30 of Miami’s hottest acts from fashion and beauty will be participating in this pop-up shop event. This jammed-packed event will feature mini-make-overs, hair touch-ups, photo shoots, dancing, live entertainment, and music provided by DJ Rob Di Nero
Galleria Dallas, 13350 Dallas Parkway Suite 3080
- Participating retailers here are offering a ton of deals and freebies: Prosecco and Italian specialty cocktails at Gucci, photo sessions at Saks Fifth Avenue taken by an Estée Lauder photography artist; free wristlet with your purchase of $150 at Dooney & Bourke
Oak Street Shops, Oak Street between Michigan Avenue and State Street
- Drink and meet the designers of Henry & Belle Denim Company all while receiving a 20% discount; Ashley Zisook, owner of Sofia and her stylists will be offering champagne, discounts and giveaways. First 500 guests receive a FNO tote bag. All shoppers will receive one raffle ticket with every purchase at a participating store
Shopping for a cause: NYC AIDS Fund is the official charity of Fashion Night Out where 40% of proceeds from sales of the limited edition FNO t-shirts ($25), long-sleeved shirts ($30), caps ($15), and totes ($50) will be donated. The collection is available at various retailers and major department stores and online at fashionsnightout.com/collection
Barneys will be donating 10% of its FNO sales at the Barneys Madison Avenue store (and 10% of Barneys.com sales) to the National September 11th Memorial & Museum.
Rachel Roy’s Best Summer Beauty Tips
With a focus on summer getaways, we sat down with designer Rachel Roy, and she gave us the scoop on her Summer Beauty Must Haves for a weekend on the beach. Below are her personal tricks to looking bright, fresh and flawless.
What makeup do you carry with you for a weekend getaway?
I always carry Burberry Lip Cover NO.04 in Rosewood and Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick compact- I use it as blush! It gives a bronzy glow before the sun gives me the real deal. I also always have with me Estée Lauder TurboLash Mascara.
Buy Now, Burberry Lip Cover NO.04 in Rosewood, $30
Buy Now, Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick compact, $39
Buy Now, Estée Lauder TurboLash Mascara, $32
How do you keep your make-up in tact during a day on the beach?
I don’t wear any! On the beach I stick with Strawberry Lip Smacker by Bonne Bell in extra large and Jo Malone Red Roses Cologne. It not only serves as a perfume but also as a spritzer to hydrate myself. Lastly, Clarins Spray-in SPF 50 for sun protection- so important!
Buy Now, Strawberry Lip Smacker by Bonne Bell, $2
Buy Now, Jo Malone Red Roses Cologne, $60
Buy Now, Clarins Spray- SPF 50, $32
How do you style your hair for a day on the beach?
I usually wear my hair down with little maintenance or pull it back in a pony. One of my fave summer products is KeSARI Indian Oil Hair Serum– I’m obsessed! It combines natural botanical extracts from India with state-of-the-art technology and makes your hair so shiny and reduces frizz (an essential with beach air!) To me, the perfect beach look is tousled, easy, loose waves- similar to the look that Gisele Bundchen has perfected!
Buy Now, KeSARI Indian Oil Hair Serum, $26.50
Do you change your makeup and fashion routine in the summertime?
Yes! During the summer I definitely channel my bohemian chic favorites – for example Raquel Welch, Bianca Jagger and Miss Trinidad, all circa the 1970’s. In terms of summer fashions, I love high-waisted denim, men’s style blouses out of sheer cotton and long maxi skirts and dresses.
What do you always make sure to pack when you travel somewhere warm?
My must-haves when traveling somewhere warm are my Indian thong sandals, vintage 501 men’s Levi’s, a perfectly worn in brown leather belt, white tank tops, Theodora and Callum boutique print wraps and sarongs, gold door knockers and always my gold Manon body chain.
What are your three summer essentials?
1. My iPod- such a must for a day on the beach. See my summer playlist- it’s on RachelRoy.com now!
2. Tunics- they are not only easy to wear in the summer time- but also serve as a great beach cover up. There are some in my Rachel Roy pre-fall collection that I am living in.
3. Lotion- I mix Jo Malone Rose-Scented Lotion with Chanel NO. 5 Lotion as my summer perfume – after a tan it’s really all you need!
Buy Now, Jo Malone Rose-Scented Lotion, $65
Buy Now, Chanel NO. 5 Lotion, $50
|Rachel Roy approaches the design of her eponymous collection with a feminine and modern point of view. Her goal is to create clothing for women who embrace fashion and dress with an effortless elegance and confidence. The results encapsulate a fresh version of glamour that evades the standard protocol for dressing today.
Originally from California, Rachel attended college in Washington DC. Upon graduation, Rachel pursued her passion for design, and moved to New York City to work freelance; styling magazine shoots and music videos.
Rachel launched her career at Rocawear and quickly rose to become Creative Director overseeing seven licensees and running all of the design departments and their teams for Rocawear Juniors and Girls.
Rachel launched her own collection, Rachel Roy New York, in Spring 2005. With striking silhouettes, a sophisticated color palette and inventive pairings which transition from day to evening, Rachel’s iconic and versatile pieces – the trench dress, the dinner blouse, the day-to-night dress – have become must-have pieces in women’s closets. In one of the fashion industries highest honors, Rachel was inducted into the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) in 2007.
A frequent contributor to fashion stories in various publications, Rachel has been featured as a columnist for InStyle magazine, covered Oscar fashion for EXTRA TV on the red carpet, and has appeared on episodes of The Oprah Winfrey Show, America’s Next Top Model, and Project Runway. Rachel volunteers her time with a number of organizations including New Yorkers For Children and OrphanAid for Africa. In 2009, Rachel was recognized by the Accessories Council with an ACE AWARD for best brand launch for RACHEL Rachel Roy.
Roy has garnered editorial acclaim for both her lines in publications such as Vogue, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar, W, Vanity Fair, Glamour and InStyle. Michelle Obama, Eva Mendes, Kate Hudson, Jennifer Garner, Iman, Halle Berry, Sheryl Crow, Estelle, Jessica Alba and Gwyneth Paltrow among others have worn pieces from Rachel’s collections.