Who’s All Excited About the Big Super Bowl Party This Sunday?
Quite frankly, I don’t watch football. I had to google who is playing this weekend. (All other football-phobic girls out there, it’s the Pittsburgh Steelers vs. the Green Bay Packers.) But I LOVE a good party, football-related or not. So what makes this party different from other Super Bowl parties? The game is the game, but the experience your guests have from the second they enter your home for a Super Bowl party . . . well, that can be different.
Super Bowl Party Décor That Scores Points with Guests
Your home’s entry can make your guests feel as if they’re stepping into Cowboys Stadium. To create the tunnel that leads to the field, tack a sheet around the ceiling and walls of a hallway. Then, instead of using a typical sports-bar look or team colors, here’s a clever spin. Recreate a football field on a large table using artificial or natural grass, or a piece of green indoor/outdoor carpet. With white tape, mark the field’s yard lines. Then, spread the bowls and platters of food on each side of the field. You can even blow up a photo of crowds or a football scene, and use that to transform your home into a Super Bowl stadium.
Other Super Bowl Sunday Decorating Ideas
• Place your grass or green carpet on your tables and bar area. Then, plant Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers team flags into the turf to complete the look.
• Create seating signs for “cheerleaders,” “players,” “press box,” “owners box,” and more. If you’re partying in several rooms, use one of them for “tailgating” and conversation.
• Get life-size posters of the teams’ MVPs, and photograph guests with their favorite player.
• Use colored plastic cups to identify fans for each team.
Go Native with Your Super Bowl Party Menu
Forget the nachos and subs. Your menu can celebrate the Super Bowl teams, while still being easy and fun. It’s time to look for cookbook recipes and make dishes that cheer “Pittsburgh” and “Green Bay.”
• Put the Pittsburgh Steelers on Your Super Bowl Menu
The Roethlis-Burger is a hamburger named after Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger—ground beef, sausage, scrambled eggs, grilled onions, and American cheese. Or try pierogi, Polish dumplings filled with potato, cheese, onion, or sauerkraut. They’re Pittsburgh favorites.
• Perfectly Cheesy Party Food for the Green Bay Packers
Packer fans are known as “cheeseheads,” so a cheese platter or cheese fondue are perfect for the Wisconsin side of your football field. Or go for small dishes of mac-and-cheese. For dessert, cheesecake or cheesecake lollipops are naturals.
Super Bowl Sunday Drink Picks
No need to do shots with your best hard liquor. Pour signature drinks for each team, and stock your bar in advance with the makings for these cocktail recipes. For Green Bay, complement the Wisconsin cheese theme of the food with a tequila-happy fruit punch—the Green Bay Punch. Pittsburgh Steelers fans can toast their team with the Golden Goblet, which is like a vodka-soaked Jim Palmer. (See recipes below.)
At Meal’s Endzone on Super Bowl Sunday, the Ref Calls Dessert
Round out your menu with gourmet treats and sweets in the team colors (gold and black for the Steelers, yellow and green for the Packers). Not up for baking cupcakes frosted in green and gold? Try your local cupcake trucks or candy store.
Super Bowl Party Games: Fun on the Field & Out of Bounds
On Super Bowl Sunday, having fun other than watching the game isn’t a penalty. Try these “sports.” Whatever Super Bowl party game you choose, your guests will feel like winners!
• Play a Super Bowl Trivia Game: Write Super Bowl XLV-related questions—the teams, the players, the states of Pennsylvania and Wisconsin—on index cards, and post them on a wall in the shape of a goal post. Or try football bingo. Use traditional bingo cards, and award prizes for cards that show the game score at the end of each quarter.
• Super Bowl Product Placement Game: For me, the best part of the Super Bowl is the commercials. Advertisers pay millions of dollars to premiere new, creative commercials during the game. During each spot, let guests compete to guess the product first. Or ask your guests to rate the commercials, and then take a vote to determine who picked the best ones.
• Super Nerf Bowl Games for Kids: For the pee-wee footballers on your guest list, keep them entertained with Nerf footballs in the team colors, a roll of craft paper to decorate with football-themed stickers and crayons, or a football-shaped piñata to break open during halftime.
|Half-Time Happy Hour All Super Bowl Long: Steelers vs. Packers Cocktail Recipes
1.5 oz. SKYY Infusions Citrus Vodka
0.25 oz. triple sec
1 oz. sweetened iced tea
0.5 oz. fresh lemon juice
Combine SKYY Infusions Citrus Vodka, triple sec, iced tea, lemon juice, and ice into a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously and strain into a martini glass with a sugared rim as garnish.
Green Bay Punch
Martinis, Mojitos & More
Jennifer Gilbert, President & Chief Visionary Officer